cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Go Pro Hero Video Camera

mclee47
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if anyone has a Go Pro Hero video camera that you use with your RV activities. We are planning an Alaska trip next summer, and I am thinking that a Go Pro would be a good way to capture some of the road scenery. We also tow a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that we could use as a video platform on some of the rougher roads. If you have one, how do you use it? Mount it?
Lee, KV5M
2018 Winnebago View
Huntsville, TX
26 REPLIES 26

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
noticed at Love's truck stops they had a similar type of camera/mounts,etc. at about half the GoPro price.
bumpy

Simplygib
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
can you tell it is not recording sound while you are using it? if not, you lose that recording if there is any sound you want. and you paid $200-$300 for that privilege.
bumpy

Actually it worked great for several years. The sound thing just started recently. No, you can't tell if it's recording sound or not until you play it back (unless you are using it direct-connected to a monitor or TV, as a CCTV type of thing, which I don't). I originally bought it to record my bicycle tours. I liked the fact that it was fairly substantial, came with several different types of mounts and had a waterproof case (for those inevitable rainy days). It works well for that, and as a dash cam, so long as you remember to manually delete files when the card starts getting full. It will record about 4.5 hours worth of video on a 32 gig card, so although it's not as convenient as it could be, it does still work in that regard.

If I were buying one now strictly for use as a dash cam, I certainly wouldn't buy a GoPro. Lots of cheaper options out there these days, such as the one I linked to earlier. That one has a narrower angle lens too, which I prefer.
Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a dash cam, you would be better off just buying one. I just ordered my "upgraded" dash cam for $52. a few hundred less than a GoPro. checked the GP out at Sam's club yesterday, noticed they were only 11 megapix.
bumpy

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you need hours of video, I think you will be better off with a camcorder.

Although, you could download the video off the SD card onto a laptop as you fill it up.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
This is one of the highest rated dash cams on the market, this year. This seller is also one of the highest rated for actually selling the actual product, not some knockoff....

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

mclee47
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments. Plenty to think about. Dash cam was only one of my possible uses. I also drive a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon off road, and I thought it would be nice to mount an action cam on it for trail video. I saw my first Go Pro Hero used that way at a Jeep Jamboree last spring. The Garmin sounds like a good option as well.

What would you recommend as a dash cam? I am not up to date on current video cameras.
Lee, KV5M
2018 Winnebago View
Huntsville, TX

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Go pro is just like amsoil and Banks engineering, high priced, highly marketed. There is many options on the market that are just as good or better for less money. I use a Contour action cam. Unfortunately some problems happened with the CEO/owner! and they are not in business anymore. But the cams are easier to use, record HD, and has much, much better battery life, 4+ hours at 0* F. Oh and it's waterproof without a case.

I'm not sure I would use an action cam for a dash cam, but if that's what you want, do a google search. Lots of options out there.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
We have a hero 2 and use it extensively on our bikes during races with no real issues. I do have two comments if you are considering this camera. Do not get it if capturing sound is important. The mic is not that powerful and if you are using the full sealed case even worse. Most people edit the videos with background music. This is a camera to capture action when handling the camera at the same time is not an option. Also, all the settings are via toggling the settings/options button. I could see this leading to issues for those who do not like to review or keep the manual as it is easy to mess up the settings making changes.

So my take is, if you are using it for the intended purpose it is a very good camera.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I guess you can't always believe 60 Minutes. But the company is doing spectacularly well so I would think reliability can't be too big an issue.

As someone else suggested, take a look at the product reviews on Amazon. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a huge split; nearly half the reviewers think they are junk and the rest love them. I don't know if quality control is an issue, but there are lots of reviews in which people say the product simply doesn't work.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess you can't always believe 60 Minutes. But the company is doing spectacularly well so I would think reliability can't be too big an issue.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Haven't followed the GoPro that closely, but was impressed by some of the footage I've seen. However, would be of little use if reliability issues were an onging concern?

Why not use a quality compact digital camera using a windshield mount to record scenery video? Would likely have a higher quality glass lens, along with higher HD data rates. Just test to make sure it records when plugged in by its mini USB connection to a power source for extended usage. Quality would likely be higher than any mini HD cam.

06ViewH
Explorer
Explorer
We have a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition and love it. GoPro released the Hero 3 before the software was completely tested, which resulted in a number of problems. The latest software update was released at the end of July and that seems to have cleared up many of the problems. We mount ours on the windshield of our View and set it on time-lapse every 60 seconds. We ran an usb cable to the GoPro from the dash radio to keep it powered. We also have mounts on our MTB's and turn on the video while riding thru the cities or on the MTB trails. We have placed the GoPro on the front of our SUP (standup paddle boards) - and we have plenty of more ideas.

Fun to have.
Meyer Meyer - 2006 Winnebago View / 2008 22 C-Dory

Recent travel map: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=a07a538ddea1dca24

cathanas
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition and it has worked flawlessly. I recently took it on a cruise and took video from rain forests to snorkeling. I am impressed with the picture quality and ease of use. After reading about the battery life issue, I purchased 4 additional batteries and that has not been a problem.

Super_T
Explorer
Explorer
Ive had a Hero 3 Black Edition for 4 months now and have never had any issues. Mount it to my helmet when I'm riding my quad and make crystal clear hi-def videos. Having the remote is especially nice. I'd recommend one to anybody, but that's just my personal experience.