cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good news for Verizon unlimited plan holders....

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never did think this would get very far.......:S

Verizon Wireless caves to FCC pressure, says it wonโ€™t throttle 4G users
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

28 REPLIES 28

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Robocop: I did the exact same thing. Never used more than 2 gigs so no big deal eh? El Wrongo. We then went on a trip and hit places with no wifi and now I'm struggling to stay under 10 gigs and I'm not doing video or anything. You'd think that after all these decades I would be smarter. Nah.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
You can still keep your unlimited plan if you pay full price for a new phone...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought the bullet with VZW as I upgraded from a Droid I have had forever to the Galaxy S5. I was stomping my feet when I learned about losing the unlimited data (I had forgotten the new action they were taking and thought I was grandfathered in totally). However, I simply considered how I had probably wasted unlimited data over the years and was willing to try a new methodology. So, in order to get some additional discounting on the new phone and data plan I picked up a tablet with an additional line as well as always using wi-fi when I can, more so at the house. Sadly, we have done all this to ourselves in the search for more efficient communication. It comes with a cost. Having a pager seems so prehistoric by today's standards!
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been paying $180 per month for 40GB of data and that was with the mediocre 4G performance from our local tower. Moving this month to a $400 a month T-1 service plan with AT&T.

Hard thing for me to understand is that AT&T says it cannot provide DSL to my house and yet T-1 as being installed is actually a double loop DSL service with 2x the speed. Wonder if it could be the greater profit from forcing customers into 4G or T-1? Aren't monopolies great - yeah capitalism.

MrWizard
A few years ago
Verizon was including a Netflix app on phones before that there was a TV app
It's all marketing... Create the market then raise the costs
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Verizon has a history of doing what they should not do and the FCC has a history of slapping them around a bit.

Last time it was double dipping on data, once for delivering it to your phoen and again if you tethered the phone.

Now I see it is throttling

Considering their cuss-some-more service department has, in the past, set the standard for poor service (This goes back to even before they were Verizon) Well....... Now you know why I do not carry their phone.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Doesn't that just mean they will cancel the unlimited plans as time moves forward instead?

No, they have already tried that and the federal courts have ruled against them as well as the FCC. The throttling didn't start till after Verizon lost in court. It was a coercion tactic to get unlimited plan users to switch to a metered more expensive plan.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
One more note of interest........ My company has service through AT&T. We have UNLIMITED WORLDWIDE DATA as a feature for $54/mo on our phones. However, if 5gb is exceeded, we are throttled, but not cut off.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Well, they will do everything possible to try and pry people away from those plans. I believe there are no current options for upgrading handsets with discounts unless you surrender the unlimited plan for one of the newer offerings. Same with AT&T by the way.

They keep saying that only a very small percentage of users exceed 5gb per month, so I'm not sure what the problem really is. I suppose the goal is simply to try and mimimize the amount of video streaming that users are doing over cellular, which really chews up bandwidth.

Bill.Satellite wrote:
Doesn't that just mean they will cancel the unlimited plans as time moves forward instead?
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Well! No soup for me.

Since 2011, Verizon has throttled 3G users who have unlimited data plans when they connect to congested cell sites if they fall within the top five percent of data users. That's 4.7GB or more per month.

Verizon will presumably continue throttling 3G users. There is "no change" in the 3G policy, a Verizon spokesperson told Ars.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I dumped Verizon couple years ago because their data plan sucked.
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I hoped the FCC would get involved in this... way to go FCC. Thank you.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there was any pressure. The FCC reminded Verizon that under the license for LTE, they were limited to what they could do and throttling the data violated one of those limitation. Just my thought on the matter.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH