cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good news for Verizon unlimited plan holders....

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never did think this would get very far.......:S

Verizon Wireless caves to FCC pressure, says it wonโ€™t throttle 4G users
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

28 REPLIES 28

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:

You aren't still using 3G phones are you? I think the rules are different for 3G.

Yes, still 3G.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Wrace wrote:

I ask because my family has the grandfathered unlimited data but when we use the $20/2GB verizon official hotspot it only allows 2GB and doesn't use any of the regular unlimited data that's available to us.

We pay Verizon $30/mo for the use of our smartphone as a hotspot because unlimited plans do not get hotspot usage for free under the terms of the 2012 FCC decision. However, having said this we have full access to the unlimited plan; a couple of months ago we hit a high of 69GB.

You aren't still using 3G phones are you? I think the rules are different for 3G.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

jamnw
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
We have been paying $180 per month for 40GB of data and that was with the mediocre 4G performance from our local tower. Moving this month to a $400 a month T-1 service plan with AT&T.

Hard thing for me to understand is that AT&T says it cannot provide DSL to my house and yet T-1 as being installed is actually a double loop DSL service with 2x the speed. Wonder if it could be the greater profit from forcing customers into 4G or T-1? Aren't monopolies great - yeah capitalism.

AT&T wants people off those "old" systems. They stopped selling DSL a few years ago when they started selling Uverse which is IP based. My understanding is if you have DSL and decide to turn it off, then decide you want it back, they will not let you have it.

The T1 is regulated different. Are you getting that T1 thru AT&T or a 3rd party reseller?
MARRIED WITH 2 BOYS: AGES 11 AND 13 years!
2000 F250 PSD/CREW CAB (301000 original miles)
2014 Keystone Springdale 320FWFBH
USN Veteran, Aegis FC

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:

What phones do you have?
Rooted phones can also take advantage of unlimited with an app. Not foxfi.

HTC Incredible ver. 1

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
Wrace wrote:
strollin wrote:

My cell phone almost always has a faster download speed then my home internet connection (at least if I have a 4G cell signal). Add in my unlimited data plan and the ability to use my phone as a hotspot and I have no need for campground wifi. My RV has 2 Smart TVs and we can stream a different movie on each TV using the phone.

You have verizon unlimited data? Which phone are you using and what type of hotspot? I ask because my family has the grandfathered unlimited data but when we use the $20/2GB verizon official hotspot it only allows 2GB and doesn't use any of the regular unlimited data that's available to us.

I will say that our phones have worked well as a hotspot over the years particularly when coupled with the sleek booster and external wilson truckers antenna. It's just disappointing to not be able to take advantage of the unlimited data when doing so.

Our phones are older and are not compatible with foxfi.

Thanks

Using an LG G2 phone and FoxFi to create the Hotspot.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Wrace wrote:
strollin wrote:

My cell phone almost always has a faster download speed then my home internet connection (at least if I have a 4G cell signal). Add in my unlimited data plan and the ability to use my phone as a hotspot and I have no need for campground wifi. My RV has 2 Smart TVs and we can stream a different movie on each TV using the phone.

You have verizon unlimited data? Which phone are you using and what type of hotspot? I ask because my family has the grandfathered unlimited data but when we use the $20/2GB verizon official hotspot it only allows 2GB and doesn't use any of the regular unlimited data that's available to us.

I will say that our phones have worked well as a hotspot over the years particularly when coupled with the sleek booster and external wilson truckers antenna. It's just disappointing to not be able to take advantage of the unlimited data when doing so.

Thanks

What phones do you have?
Rooted phones can also take advantage of unlimited with an app. Not foxfi.

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:

Thanks

MrWizard
a downloaded movie from amazon about 2gigs per movie for HD
SD is less
a 16gig card can store 8 or more movies depending on quality

my PVR recordings are blu-ray quality 1920*1080i 1 hour 16gig, they are on an external HHD whic i can access via tv or PC
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
We full-time, so for us streaming a movie from Netflix or Amazon or HuLu.. is no different than somebody else watching cable or pay per view

We also rent several movies a month from red box

I also use a Home Worx PVR to record over the air hdtv
I have the Indy 500 recorder in hi dif
Along with my favorite tv shows
I will take a season of tv series and make dvd's

And to answer another question
I have used my tablet or phone to connect to Amazon and stream an hd movie to my tv with a mini HDMI cables

To answer another question
Yes a smart phone can store movies in hd and play them like a DVR

How big a Gig micro SD card do you need to store HD movies for streaming to your TV? At that point a 720p TV will save a lot of space.

MrWizard
We full-time, so for us streaming a movie from Netflix or Amazon or HuLu.. is no different than somebody else watching cable or pay per view

We also rent several movies a month from red box

I also use a Home Worx PVR to record over the air hdtv
I have the Indy 500 recorder in hi dif
Along with my favorite tv shows
I will take a season of tv series and make dvd's

And to answer another question
I have used my tablet or phone to connect to Amazon and stream an hd movie to my tv with a mini HDMI cables

To answer another question
Yes a smart phone can store movies in hd and play them like a DVR
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
strollin wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Guess I'm just a grumpy old man. Down load a movie on a telephone? Just don't get it. But I'm a guy that has the data turned off on my telephone. ...

How else would you stream a movie at a campsite? I know some would say they go camping to get away from stuff like that but many like to watch a movie in the evening. Trying to use campground wifi to stream a movie is generally an experiment in frustration.

I don't stream movies any where. Got one at a time Netflix. 200 chanels, although most off em are useless to me. More entertainment then I know what to do with. Least on my mind is streaming movies at a camp site. JMO. Don't now why I even opened the thread. LOL
PS. Haven't been to a movie theater in 30 years, guess I'm not a Addictive movie person.

You said you didn't "get it" so I explained it to you so that you could "get it". Doesn't mean you would use it but many others do.

Now you know! :B
Reese Dual Cam HP
Twin Honda 2000s

See our pics here

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
strollin wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Guess I'm just a grumpy old man. Down load a movie on a telephone? Just don't get it. But I'm a guy that has the data turned off on my telephone. ...

How else would you stream a movie at a campsite? I know some would say they go camping to get away from stuff like that but many like to watch a movie in the evening. Trying to use campground wifi to stream a movie is generally an experiment in frustration.

I don't stream movies any where. Got one at a time Netflix. 200 chanels, although most off em are useless to me. More entertainment then I know what to do with. Least on my mind is streaming movies at a camp site. JMO. Don't now why I even opened the thread. LOL
PS. Haven't been to a movie theater in 30 years, guess I'm not a Addictive movie person.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:

Reese Dual Cam HP
Twin Honda 2000s

See our pics here

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guess I'm just a grumpy old man. Down load a movie on a telephone? Just don't get it. But I'm a guy that has the data turned off on my telephone. Anyone wanna by my unused data? LOL
Edit: just an added thought. Really think the Verizon execs are going to switch from caviar to Ramen noodles. If they can't get you in one pocket they'll get you in the other one.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS