Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google and Yahoo won't work

Dozer
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I have an IT dept. created issue. I'm using a netbook (a laptop wanna be), with Windows 7 starter installed.
If I try and use either Google or Yahoo I get an error “Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working” etc.
You all probably know the rest of the verbage.
Any ideas on a fix short of reloading the OS?

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
For desktops, Chrome is fine. But for laptops relying on battery power, better use an alternative such as Firefox. This due to an issue with Chrome's clock tick rate in Windows which is set below what Microsoft recommends, causing as much as a 25% additional drain on the battery compared to other browsers.

This problem has apparently existed for years, and Google recently indicated that they are looking into the issue.

This does not affect MACs, but OS X users can face another issue of Chrome's excessive use of CPU.

See article Chrome eats laptop battery life like bears eat honey but there is a fix.

I've never noticed that before, I get about 5 hours surfing (with heavy YouTube use) using Chrome or Firefox, never noticed any runtime differences, might be time for some testing, lol.

For desktops, Chrome is fine. But for laptops relying on battery power, better use an alternative such as Firefox. This due to an issue with Chrome's clock tick rate in Windows which is set below what Microsoft recommends, causing as much as a 25% additional drain on the battery compared to other browsers.

This problem has apparently existed for years, and Google recently indicated that they are looking into the issue.

This does not affect MACs, but OS X users can face another issue of Chrome's excessive use of CPU.

See article Chrome eats laptop battery life like bears eat honey but there is a fix.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Chrome

Another question? Since this is only happening on Google and Yahoo, are you using their Toolbars in IE? If so, disable them or do the RESET, which ends up doing the same thing?

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:

Since this is an IT created issue, are you sure they are not blocking access to Google or Yahoo? Using another browser would be an easy check? But you can also try to ping Google and Yahoo?

Hold down Windows Key+R and in RUN type CMD and ENTER. Type ping google.com and ENTER.

Do you see something like this? Or does it fail? Try also ping Yahoo.com?

He says it's crashing, not being blocked, my money is on malware or his IT departments lazy half cleanup of malware, I've seen this hundreds of times malware, like I said I usually reimage the PC but that's easy for me.

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:

Just don't choose "Delete personal settings" if you have saved passwords, as they will also be deleted.

I would write them down and delete anyways, it tends to fix more issues than not deleting settings. But a good point, I forgot to mention it deletes passwords.

Dozer wrote:
Hello all,

I have an IT dept. created issue. I'm using a netbook (a laptop wanna be), with Windows 7 starter installed.
If I try and use either Google or Yahoo I get an error “Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working” etc.

Thanks!

Since this is an IT created issue, are you sure they are not blocking access to Google or Yahoo? Using another browser would be an easy check? But you can also try to ping Google and Yahoo?

Hold down Windows Key+R and in RUN type CMD and ENTER. Type ping google.com and ENTER.

Do you see something like this?

Or does it fail? Try also ping Yahoo.com?

ryanw821 wrote:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Gives an overview on resetting IE to defaults, Choose the "Delete personal settings" options, it will not delete favorites, just preferences, history and search settings.

Just don't choose "Delete personal settings" if you have saved passwords, as they will also be deleted.

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Gives an overview on resetting IE to defaults, Choose the "Delete personal settings" options, it will not delete favorites, just preferences, history and search settings.

Dozer
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I can get to any website...I just cannot do searches using Google or Yahoo.

Thanks for the response.

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
Dozer wrote:
Hello all,

Thanks!

Coming from an IT tech, quit using Internet Explorer, its a crappy insecure browser. Chrome or FireFox are much better alternatives.

As for fixing IE, if resetting it to defaults and removing add-ins doesn't resolve it, I would reload the OS, but that's all automated at my shop, so not much of an issue for me.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Will other webpages work?

Why would you reload the OS instead of reloading IE?

Very first link on a Google search yields this troubleshooting link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/internet-explorer-has-stopped-working-message/76fb744d-a7a0-4b67-91c5-a524c901af5a