cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google maps to GPS

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
I have a simple question but have not found a simple answer. The question is, can I use Google maps to plot a route and then transfer that route to my Garmin Nuvi GPS? I've been on the internet for a while and keep going in circles. As you all know, a GPS is NOT foolproof so I want to "manually" lay out my route with a map and then move it to my GPS for turn by turn instructions etc. I DO NOT want to use my cellphone, just my GPS. Any suggestions appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Corkey05 wrote:
I kinda work around what you're trying to do. For each trip I set waypoints to junctions of my choosing, and number each leg.

1) Stop #1 (your destination name)
2) Stop #2 (next stop)
3) Stop (like the campground destination or fuel)
4) Etc - -

Now all I need to do is select the number I'm going next.

This also helps when you don't like the route the programs select. Point to point is all you need and easy to do. Basecamp is easy for setting up Waypoints, but routing is a whole new animal. One nice bonus is You can select a days journey fairly easy because you'll know the distance to the next waypoint.

I've gone coast to coast this way and never had a problem. It also can help eliminate false or confusing routings the programs (like Basecamp) might chose. I verify each leg in Google Earth right down to fuel stops at stations easy to navigate.

It's actually easy and doesn't take long to do. Plus I get the bonus of knowing a little about the area's I'm traveling through before we drive it.

Just food for thought ....

Thanks for the suggestion. I may give it a try and see what happens. At least it is a logical (to me) way to set up a route.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
I kinda work around what you're trying to do. For each trip I set waypoints to junctions of my choosing, and number each leg.

1) Stop #1 (your destination name)
2) Stop #2 (next stop)
3) Stop (like the campground destination or fuel)
4) Etc - -

Now all I need to do is select the number I'm going next.

This also helps when you don't like the route the programs select. Point to point is all you need and easy to do. Basecamp is easy for setting up Waypoints, but routing is a whole new animal. One nice bonus is You can select a days journey fairly easy because you'll know the distance to the next waypoint.

I've gone coast to coast this way and never had a problem. It also can help eliminate false or confusing routings the programs (like Basecamp) might chose. I verify each leg in Google Earth right down to fuel stops at stations easy to navigate.

It's actually easy and doesn't take long to do. Plus I get the bonus of knowing a little about the area's I'm traveling through before we drive it.

Just food for thought ....
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the delayed response to your suggestions. Upon further review it looks like what I wanted to do is NOT possible any more. Apparently Google and MapQuest no longer allow you to import their routes directly to your GPS. Basecamp is way too much trouble for a lazy person like me. Guess in the future I will look at Google maps and compare it to GPS to see how accurate the GPS might be for a particular route. Thanks anyway.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
To do what you want involves the use of Garmin's Basecamp and Basecamp is not intuitive.

Here is an outline of how I do it on a Windows machine:
In Google Maps one can plot out the points that one wants to visit.
And one may create a route from those points within google - unfortunately the route cannot be exported - only the points can be exported - the points are GPS coordinates and in no particular order when exported.

All the points can be exported to a KML/KMZ file and that KML/KMZ file can be imported into Basecamp.

Within Basecamp, select all the imported points, then right click and select "Create Route".

After the route is created, double click (or right click) the new route. In the next window click the "Optimize" button at the bottom of the screen - it will prompt you for the last destination and then optimize the route for you.

The Nuvi has to be plugged into the computer and you can then export the Basecamp file into the Nuvi GPS.
In the Nuvi the new route will be listed in the menu under Apps.

Simple, right?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I had an eye opener last fall on these matters. We went on a trip to another province where we needed GPS to find our way. I took my Garmin GPS and of course my phone. The voice instructions were about the same but Google Maps had real time traffic information via internet which made it the winner. And of course the maps are always fully up to date. My Garmin is now occupying space in a bottom drawer.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Find the location you wish to go to on Google Maps. Right click it. Select "what's here" and the GPS numbers will be displayed. Use that number in the gps unit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
GPS Visualizer can take a google map url and convert to GPX for use on your GPS device.

Here is some INFO
2014 Allegro 36LA

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=i7ANW8-RDKPHjwT6iIzgBg&q=google+maps+to+garmin+routes&oq=...
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)