cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS for up to date low overhang bridge clearance?

susblum
Explorer
Explorer
We have GPS in our vehicle and 2 smart phones with GPS. Planning a route and realized that there is a new overpass there now. Our GPS(s) don't record bridge clearance. If it was a state road we could google that info. There has to be a better way.
Not interested in size of screen, location of Walmarts etc. Just looking for the best unit for up to date restrictions for propane and overpass height.
What do you recommend?
6 REPLIES 6

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Don't blame your GPS.
They get the maps from county and states. If they're slow with the update nobody gets it.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
We don't rely on our GPS. We use Rand McNally Truckers Atlas and stay on roads that are truck routes. We match up what our GPS is telling us with the atlas before we head out on the road. We have had 5 GPS's now and none have been totally reliable for routing a big rig.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
be forwarned. trusting the GPS for bridge or tunnel clearance is somewhat fraught with issues. One major one we have encountered is that the bridge data is based on what the state has listed on clearance. and in some cases that will give somewhat bogus or useless info, some post the minimum SIDE clearance rather than normal overhead traffic lane clearance. and hence will try to route you around areas you can go through.

As an example SR-14 in washington according to my GPS says I have clearance problems with tunnels as well as 101 down the coast. but in all cases overhead clearance is just fine, it's the out of traffic lane edge clearance that is sometimes near 10 feet and that is what GPS gives for clearance.

So, while useful, it isn't always accurate and can send you on a wild goose chase.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought the newly released Garmin RV 770 LMT-S which seems to cover those concerns very well. But it's nearly $400.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Keep in mind that after something new is added to any road it may take years before another audit is performed and the new item is incorporated into the data base.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thread talks about that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman