cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads Up: CCleaner Infected

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
I know that CCleaner is popular on this forum. For almost a month it was compromised and installing malware. This is quite serious - it means that Piriform's development servers were probably compromised. CCleaner is owned by Avast which would also be a great target for the bad guys. It doesn't appear that Avast detected this on their own which is also troubling.

Link
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K
16 REPLIES 16

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
Anyone know of a good replacement for Ccleaner, preferably free?

The problem was from Sept 2017 nothing current. Old post floated to the top because someone added 3 years later.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
mr. ed wrote:
Don't use one?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
OK guys September 18, 2017 05:11 AM just a bit late. Current 5.68.7xxx
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

letBen
Explorer
Explorer
Reinstallation should always work. Generally, you can choose a new program. Ccleaner has driven me crazy because of the abundance of advertising. By the way, because of ??, applications on my computer slowed down. Recently I've found an article https://thinkmobiles.com/blog/best-registry-cleaner-tools where you can check detailed comparisons of different tools . So, if you're interested you can take a look. I chose for myself there IObit. Nothing slows down already, so I advise you to search in this article.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
My Norton 360 caught it right away and I did the upgrade and no issues now. Kind of wondering about the CCleaner on my Android phone.

x2

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
The upgrade 5.34.0.6207 cures (removes) the virus. My Norton 360 caught it right away (even before I ran the CCleaner.), but I agree, a very poor way to manage a program.

Nothing in the release notes at all and should have been. I run the freeware version myself and have for years.

Never used Avast, Always used Norton. never an issue with them.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
When you update CCleaner they always provide a list of the reasons for the update - they mentioned fixing various minor bugs but conveniently left out any mention of the virus. Not sure I am going to re-install - credibility counts and they just lost some.
Avast (owners of CCleaner) didn't mention anything about it until Cisco's security group Talos wrote about it. And now there are reports that Avast was first notified a month ago by another security company. They're becoming a case study on how not to handle a security incident.

If I were an Avast user I'd uninstall that, too.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
When you update CCleaner they always provide a list of the reasons for the update - they mentioned fixing various minor bugs but conveniently left out any mention of the virus. Not sure I am going to re-install - credibility counts and they just lost some.
Kevin

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I read that it only infects 32 bit machines and not 64 bit, but might still be plenty of 32's still out there.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Norton 360 caught it right away and I did the upgrade and no issues now. Kind of wondering about the CCleaner on my Android phone.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
If I'm reading Cisco Talos correctly, if one has an infected version of CCleaner, they recommend rolling back (System Restore) before August 15, 2017. Or do a "re-install". :E
That is what they're recommending. Note that that is in stark contrast to Avast's claims that just reinstalling CCleaner is sufficient. I don't think I trust Avast in this instance - I think they're statements are self-serving and disingenuous.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

If I'm reading Cisco Talos correctly, if one has an infected version of CCleaner, they recommend rolling back (System Restore) before August 15, 2017. Or do a "re-install". :E

Here is the original Cisco Talos blog article: CCleanup: A Vast Number of Machines at Risk.