cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do they stay in business?

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
I needed to order a battery box vent cover. Mine has just gotten brittle and broken from years of sun and weather.

Found the exact replacement part on Camping World online store. I'm thinking "super". $5.50 +. Went to order and was floored with better than $15 for shipping. Are you friggin kidding me?? A piece of 4X4" plastic that you can easily stick in a shipping envelope? That is absolute robbery!!

Went to ebay and fouond the same item for $6.49 and FREE shipping.

Camping World is no longer in my "favorites" and will not renew my Good Sam membership if they are going to constantly fleece customers. There are other options!
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude
49 REPLIES 49

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
51ferguson,

Thank you for providing your positive feedback regarding your online experience. We love hearing from our customers.

Thanks,
Stacy
Good Sam Care Team

51ferguson
Explorer
Explorer
I will add my recent CW online experience, I was looking for a 25" x 19" single basin kitchen sink to replace the stock double basin kitchen sink in our travel trailer. (DW wanted a single bowl sink) I searched the internet for a couple of days, Ebay, Amazon, bunches of online RV parts suppliers, and then I thought I would check CW online and low and behold they beat the lowest price I had found by about $20.00 and free shipping. Needless to say I ordered from CW and received the sink in 4 or 5 days counting the weekend. I was happy with that and I will order from them again if they have what I am looking for and it is cheaper that anywhere else I look. CW is like any other retailer some things you may find cheaper and some things you may not find cheaper, that is why it is best to shop around. The same goes for shipping charges some places are cheaper than others, shop around.

Billy

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
leeper wrote:
AllegroD wrote:
This forum has been failing for a couple decades, now.

It is the fault of those old geezers! Wait, isn't that what our toys are called, "geezer pleasers"?

;-}

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:

It is the fault of those old geezers! Wait, isn't that what our toys are called, "geezer pleasers"?

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
I just received two Good Sam directories and a Good Sam atlas. I thought the shipping charge was a bit steep. But where else can one purchase these items?

AMAZON

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
He needed it, they had it. Shipping is another issue. It could go in an envelop for less than a dollar, but then a few less than honest customers would claim an item was never received...and it only takes a few, and they are out there. So it must be shipped Priority, FedEx, or UPS. The item must be boxed and an employee must supervise the shipping. But for the purchaser it is easy, call and have it shipped, so there is no realization of the costs involved in this process. If you can get it cheaper, Great, do so, and brag. If CW finds sales diminishing it may adjust policy to meet competition. But blaming CW for the cost of doing business just does not seem fair.

You think $15 for shipping a 4" X 4" piece of plastic is fair?

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
And then I can run down to my local CW and handle the product before I buy and make a good decision which I cannot do with others. They are what they are, bashing them on their forum looks small. Like anything else the savvy buyer wins.

In this case there was no product to actually look at and handle or he would have bought it. Had to order it with an inflated shipping cost.

MacZulu
Explorer
Explorer
Since March I have tallied up over $1800 on rv and camping stuff from amazon. When from amazon direct usually over $25 is free shipping. 3rd party retailers often don't have free shipping. Yesterday I was looking at a fantastic fan, amazon with shipping it was about $380 cad. I ordered it from CW for shipped price os $240 cad.even with taxes and duty I think it will be well below the amazon price. It's rare but sometimes amazon isn't the best deal.

The Internet is a great shopping tool when applied vigorously

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Several things come to mind here.

Smart consumers shop around, do their homework, and make decisions based on the total price of an item, timeframe the item is needed in, etc.

Many stores are charging ridiculous rates for shipping. $15 for a small item that will fit into a padded envelope IS ridiculous, no matter how you want to spin it. The more people realize that and take their business elsewhere, the harder it will be for those businesses to stay solvent unless they adjust their shipping rates to be reasonable.

Priority Mail does indeed have Priority envelopes that ship anywhere in the US for much less than $15 in about 2 days.

Many items on Amazon have free shipping, WITHOUT paying $80 for Amazon Prime, and tracking info is always a mouse-click away.

CW, having to maintain a nationwide network of S&B stores, must price their items higher than some online retailers; I get it and understand. If it is not outrageous, that price difference is worth the immediate availability for consumers, but...outrageous shipping rates on top of those higher prices cannot be justified nor defended.

As others have said, the OP's post is a legitimate complaint and has absolutely nothing to do with Government price controls.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
Hello allenm,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of the experience you had with Camping World.
We are glad you were taken care of.
Have a good day.

Ella

allenm
Explorer
Explorer
Thought I would pass on an experience I just had with CW online sales. I ordered a window awning but it arrived without the arms and hardware.

I didn't notice my price was $54 less than it was supposed to be. Due to a glitch in their ordering system, I only paid for and received the awning itself.

The problem was resolved with one phone call to a very nice person. I received the rest of what I needed 3 days later completely gratis.

Kudos to CW for turning what could have been an unhappy customer into a happy one!

3Maltese
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a few interior accessories for my motorhome from Amazon. The prices were not any better than what I paid for the same item at CW. While I did not have to pay anything for shipping for the Amazon order, I like the convenience of being able to return things to a local CW store. Amazon is a great resource for hard-to-find items.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
TinyoneRV wrote:
I have no idea what you received or what size it was. Regardless of the weight, UPS charges by size and weight. (If you can figure out their charges from the internet site, let me know how you did it.) Of course small, non-breakable items could be shipped in a padded envelope by US mail.

Did you actually READ the post just above yours?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad