cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to listen to MY own music on my phone?

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Not very techie, so plain English please. :{
Have a Samsung Note 9 that came with Google Play. My music was there because the kid transferred it from my old phone.
Now G. Play has gone away. Want me to switch to YoutubeMusic.
I can't figure out, is this FREE?
I want to play the playlist I made from CDs I BOUGHT, the artist has been paid already!

I have transferred some of the music, but it keeps asking if I want to extend my'free' trial..
I do not want to pay $10 a. Onth for something I own !
OR, is there another app for me?
Thank you.
27 REPLIES 27

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get all your music on your phone. Then get the Omnia Music Player app. Best app for playing your music.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Just went through this myself. I like Muzio although it's a little more clunky than Google play. You do have to download your music to your phone first. My biggest complaint is the inability to buy music. If I use Shazam or hear a song I like I used to be able to buy it. I haven't found an app yet that allows me to do it. What platforms allow you to search and buy music now? Seems inhibitive to the artists selling music.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
It sound like all your music is already on a computer load from CD’s. I had a similar problem loading my music on an IPod. Took the computer and IPod to a local computer guy and paid him to do it. A few days later and maybe $40, it was done. If not all your music is on the computer or CD’s, you have a problem I cannot help you with.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Best Buy near you, see if they have the Samsung reps available. The rep will take you through the change and will also update the phone with latest software.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK it sounds like your music is NOT on your phone.

So I found THIS PAGE with the option to transfer to Youtube Music at the top. When you click on the link at the top, it takes you to a screen to start the transfer. You will need to be logged in to your Google account. Probably simpler to do that beforehand.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
I went with pulsar after play music died. It has been drama free. It automatically finds any music uploaded to the phone.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many players that work on Android. VLC.. Check the play store to see if VLC (Video lan) is listed It is one of the best viewers/players I've ever used. I'd have to check but YUP it worked on my Galaxy S-7 (i think) just now.. First time I've played stored music since G-Play went poof so I had to authorize it.

I started using VLC long time ago.. It was one of the very few Video players that handled my Replay TV's downloads. Versions for dang near everything
Windows (yup) Chrome (yup) Android (Yup) Ios (I have no clue)
Not sure of Linux either but my only linux boxes are either Raspberry PI dedicated to other stuff or the chrome books.

Oh if you have a windows get it for Windows as well. you need to do a bit of hoop jumping but if you want to download the hyper funny You Tube Video. VLC is hoop 2 or 3 (3 I think) and there are about 3 more to put it on the drive.. I make it sound harder than it is.. I've done a test file (that's all) naturally i learned how 2 days 2 late.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
I see playlist names but NO music in any of them?

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
nancyjerry wrote:
The music was in Googel Play and now it won't let me access them. I will try and see if they are stored somewhere else on the phone.
Our son was instrumental in getting the CDs we recorded onto our computer, and then moved to the phone years ago.
He has since passed away and this is so frustrating ..

google play went away, a real disapointment to many. but getting the google play library to youtube to play for free no interuptions is easy peasy.

ALL the music that was uploaded to google play can easily be transferred to youtube to play for free. log onto the google account and go to google play and it will ask if you want all your music transferred to youtube.

Now the bad part, youtube isn't near as easy to play your own music. you need to select it from the phone instead of just asking google to play the music you want.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
The music was in Googel Play and now it won't let me access them. I will try and see if they are stored somewhere else on the phone.
Our son was instrumental in getting the CDs we recorded onto our computer, and then moved to the phone years ago.
He has since passed away and this is so frustrating ..

MrWizard
Google play ? Will play the music files that are stored on your phone, use the menus and point it there, personally I use VLC and MPC.
Video LAN player (LAN=local area network)
Media Player Classic
Both are good Apps translated/ported over, from versions originally for windows
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
First step is to get all your music downloaded to your phone.

If you have playlists made up, print them or get screenshots so you can replicate them with whatever app you use.

It's quite possible there is a Samsung music player already on your phone. Look in all the apps. Otherwise, look on the Play Store (best place to get legit Android apps) and you will find several highly rated music players.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
nancyjerry wrote:
Not very techie, so plain English please. :{
Have a Samsung Note 9 that came with Google Play. My music was there because the kid transferred it from my old phone.
Now G. Play has gone away. Want me to switch to YoutubeMusic.
I can't figure out, is this FREE?
I want to play the playlist I made from CDs I BOUGHT, the artist has been paid already!

I have transferred some of the music, but it keeps asking if I want to extend my'free' trial..
I do not want to pay $10 a. Onth for something I own !
OR, is there another app for me?
Thank you.

Are the files ON your phone?

Or are they being "hosted" on the web?

If hosted via Google Play and not on your phone then you most likely will need to download all of what you own before they fully shut down access to your phone.

Some Android versions may include a free music file player which is not part of Google Play, you can see if you have one. If you have one you might be able to use that.

If you have all of your music files on your phone, you can try VLC FOR ANDROID (VLC is a media player which plays audio and video files and is free or if you wish donate some money).

VLC gives you the option to create playlists also from your files (I don't know if it will import existing playlists, you would have to research that). You keep everything on your phone and no more "ransom" stuff when someone decides to stop supporting their "product" (which is pretty common now days).

VLC may even work with online cloud storage, I have never tried that.