cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hughsnet Gen4 ?

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, we are now fulltimers and looking at Hughes net for net acess. Does anyone use it? Is it worth the cost?
18 REPLIES 18

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
wowabunga wrote:
Does RV.net have a classifieds ???

I have a mobile Hughes unit I no longer need. Aluminum L arm brace, 7000s modem, and a Birdog signal finder.

www.datastormusers.com has a classifieds section.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Comparing ground based satellite internet and any satellite internet service that is currently available to the mobile user is really not a fair fight unless you are willing to pay 10,000+ for your antenna and something approching $1000/month for the service. The same level of service at home or for a business can be quite affordable.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
If coverage is the only issue then satellite internet works.

If data speed is an issue then cell phone based internet wins hands down over satellite.

I know a man who uses Satellite Internet to bring together a bunch of people over skype and produce a multi-studio internet television show.. Now the base is in California and hard wired, but the person who orginized it is running at least half a dozen SKYPE Video links to his studio in the Ozarks during the show..

twit.tv/hn if you'd like to watch.. Bob Heil is the one using Exced
The others are all hard wired.

Bob has used his cell phone once or twice.. Did not work well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully, not for those of us who have their service but only time will tell.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The ride at OmniLynx is already over unfortunately.

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/is-the-omnilynx-verizon-unlimited-data-plan-ride-over-already/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
well it looks like hughesnet is out. Does not allow me to travel around. Does anyone have Globalgig ?

:h

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
wowabunga wrote:

No, that feature was discontinued several years ago.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wowabunga
Explorer
Explorer

I have a mobile Hughes unit I no longer need. Aluminum L arm brace, 7000s modem, and a Birdog signal finder.

Ropdoc
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
In my case (as well as others I'd hazard), satellite Internet is Plan B. If you're full timing (like me), you really need daily Internet access (banking, health care, etc).

We are 4 weeks into fulltiming. I want to keep all my cost down, so not looking for spending $$ on equipment or big plans. Just as you said, I need it for banking, email etc. But would also like to be able to use Netflix and the like. We are planning on boondocking at times and would like to keep in touch via. skype or other video media. Who knows we may even have a blog that people would be interested in with video in it.

I truly appreciate all of your advice.

Dave and Nancy

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I haven't been able to understand the pricing of satellite internet. It seems excessively price for only 10-20 gb of data per month. I suppose that if you have NO other access to internet its much better than nothing.

In my case (as well as others I'd hazard), satellite Internet is Plan B. If you're full timing (like me), you really need daily Internet access (banking, health care, etc).

If you're only part-timing, I can't imagine why you would need satellite Internet unless you consistently camp in the boonies.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a MiFi and you stream a LOT of data then you must have a data plan the rest of us can't get or you are paying the big bucks for a very large plan. Exceeding 20GB/month with your MiFi on Verizon is going to cost you $100+/month.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't been able to understand the pricing of satellite internet. It seems excessively price for only 10-20 gb of data per month. I suppose that if you have NO other access to internet its much better than nothing.

But we stream a LOT of data so my perspective is skewed.

I do agree that a cellular hotspot is better based on speed, but there are regions of the country that still do not have reliable service (despite what the maps say, and I am a Verizon user, I have a MiFi for work and its great)

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hughesnet Gen4 service is spot beamed so moving more than about 100 miles from the original location requires a service tech. re-point the antenna and re-configure the account with Hughes. The RTC Hughes plan gets around this but it's not the full speed KA service that Gen4 offers.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If coverage is the only issue then satellite internet works.

If data speed is an issue then cell phone based internet wins hands down over satellite. Verizon has the best coverage and there is a buzz about an unlimited bandwidth option at $48 per month. The seller has been swamped with orders. OmniLynx has posted they are back ordered and not accepting new orders right now.

Metro pcs has unlimited data--but will throttle after 5 gigs. Coverage is slightly poorer than Verizon. You have to be careful what phone is used to get the best coverage. The top package is unlimited everything including long distance to Canada and is $60.00 You do have to purchase a phone.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.