cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need an Ereader.

Jean_S
Explorer
Explorer
My old Nook died. They will not repair it and it was slowly loosing functions thru non-support, anyway. I have the app on my Eclipse 7, but the battery sucks. I also have the app on my phone, but that's hard to use.

Has anyone tried Nook's basic Glowlight? All I want to do with this thing is read.
29 REPLIES 29

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Kindle Paper White has been my choice for the past several years. I sold my regular Kindle to get it. I have only purchased a few books in 5 years. There are so many free ones in Kindle format and epub (Nook) are easily converted by Calibre.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Kindle Paper White is my primary for all the reasons stated by other owners and I keep my books synced with my iPhone Kindle app for those times you just get stuck waiting. Amazing how much you read in a day if your current book is always in your pocket and synced to the book you read at home.

Also a fan of eReaderIQ you can tag authors or books for when the price drops and you can sign up for a custom daily mailing of free and reduced price books that match your profile. They also have an add on for Chrome to make it easy to tag books and check past pricing.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
For book reading, the Paper White is hard to beat. Great for sunlight or dark conditions. Long battery life. If you have unrestricted epub format books on your computer you can convert them to Kindle (Mobi) format using Calibri, free download converter.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I just did the same thing. Traded my old Nook with the dying battery for the small Samsung tablet with the Nook application. It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7.0

You can also trade in an old Nook on a larger Samsung Tablet.

List on the small one is $150, minus trade in of $50.

The advantage is that you also have a small tablet in addition to it being a reader.

Note - I believe this is a 'normal' Samsung tablet with the Nook app added to it. The attraction is that any old Nook is worth $50 in trade.

The promotion is on the B&N website. Or just go into any B&N store.

Tim

pjinthedaks
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I just traded in our first generation Nooks for brand new Nooks by Samsung. Exactly the same as the Galaxy Tab 4 with a specialized Nook look. Love them so far! We got $50 for each old Nook so the total cost for each new one was approximately $106. This is a special trade in deal at BN running through the middle of June. Well worth it for us.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
dclark1946 wrote:
My wife and I have Kindle paper whites with built in screen backlight.

We really like ours.

Dick

X2, the wife loves her Kindle Paperwite. Returned the Kindle Fire because to can use it outside in bright sun. The Paper White is the very best IMO and works great in bright sun. If you read outdoors this feature is a must. Pretty much nothing with an LCD screen will be readable outside.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sony reader for your Smart Phone/Computer (Search for NOOK in app store) should work... Why carry 2 devics when one can do it.. You will be able to connect to your account and d/l all the books you have purchsed.

Same as I do with my Kindle App on everything I have.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
One huge advantage of the e-ink readers that I see is that they do not emit the blue wavelengths that affect sleep.
-- Chris Bryant

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Kindle paper white: cheap, can read in sun or night, huge selections of reading material lots free. Only drawback it sometimes is slow to download books.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have the NOOK HD+ and love it! Direct dowdloads via wifi, big screen. Works like a tablet for internet and email. Don't know what I am going to replace it with when it dies, which it will.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have the NOOK HD+ and love it! Direct dowdloads via wifi, big screen. Works like a tablet for internet and email. Don't know what I am going to replace it with when it dies, which it will.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Have had the Nook Glow for six months now. If you want a reader JUST for reading, This is the one!!. I love it. It is light, has long battery life and functions well.

It does one, and only one thing very well: A reader.

If you want multiple functions get something else.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has an iPad mini with the Kindle app; I have a Kindle Paperwhite. She likes to transition between reading, playing games, and surfing the internet. I, like the OP, just want to read and the Paperwhite is well suited for my purposes. I really like the adjustable backlight. When we're in an area without wifi I just use my phone as a hotspot, hook up my Paperwhite, and download a book that way. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
Get a tablet and download the nook reader and/or the kindle reader both free

Nook at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208 scroll down page

kindle at https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/kcp-landing-page?ie=UTF8&ref_=klp_mn

The DW has the Nook HD and loves it. I have an iPad and have both the Nook and Kindle app. I have no issues with battery life using the iPad in airplane mode.

If the OP has a Nook then all his books will be in that format and might not convert to Kindle. Maybe the Kindle can have a Nook app though.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.