cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

KVH TracVision R5 hookup

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
New to us coach has a TracVision R5 (DirecTV) on the roof. Manuals show hookup of RF1 to a satellite receiver.

Does this mean I can hookup the R5 to my DirectTV HR 44-200? It was hooked up to an ancient DTV receiver of some kind. If I can use the 44-200, what settings do I use on setup?

I'll try the R5 first but thinking I'll pull it off and move my Trav'ler to the new rig because I'm an HD junkie. If it works good I might leave it up and use a tripod for HD. Don't need in-motion.

Thanks in advance.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
5 REPLIES 5

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, et al, thanks. I've decided to move my Trav'ler to the new coach and give the KVH to friends that don't care about HD. Love my Trav'ler.
Hickory, NC

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The HR44 (Genie) requires SWM technology and the KVH antenna (no dome) has this system built in. So the quick answer is NO, you cannot hook up your Genie to the dome. You can call KVH and see if they can tell you if you are able to add the SWM8 and PI29 setup to the dome to make it compatible and still be able to find the 101 satellite. Even if you are able to make the necessary changes to get the dome converted to SWM the DirecTV signal will only be available in SD. No HD programming will be available.
If you want full functionality in the RV with your Genie you will need to install a Winegard Trav'ler. While you won't be able to watch TV live while driving you will be able to watch all of your recorded programming. When you get parked you push a button and you are watching/recording live TV in less than 10 minutes.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tracvision R4 it is only SD an HD receiver will not work
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't believe that KVH supports the R5 any longer. Do yourself a favor and update the dish to a HD three LNB system. Been there done that years ago. Our '07 HR Endeavor had the correct RG6??? coax to do the Travler.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Reading other places it seems that only older DTV receivers will work and still only SD.

If that is the case. I'm more convinced to pull it off and replace it with the Trav'ler from the old rig. Can I assume that I'll find coax at that location that will integrate into the Genie system which is based mid coach. Guess will have to fish the Trav'ler unique control wiring using the KVH wiring from up front?
Hickory, NC