cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Latest Win 10 update VERY VERY SLOW!!

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Would you believe over six hours to install the latest Win 10 package.
I did not jump the gun but waited for the invite like they tell you to do.

I have a very fast cable connection and my PC is hard wired into the router, no wifi.
It starts off nice "You may continue working while it downloads and install"
That took a long time.
It reboots and lets you log in, thinking it's done but nooooo.
Now it begins the long tedious process of re-booting, warning you to step away and let it work.
I kid you not, over six hours and this morning it was a ten minute boot before loging in.

So do your business before doing an install and walk away but not to far because you do have to log in again to finish it off.

P.S.
I logged in and wrote this note 15 minutes ago.
My hard drive is still grinding away in the background, it ain't over yet.
36 REPLIES 36

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to do my Tablet yesterday. After 6+ hours it notified me that i didn't have enough disk space, then wouldn't let me DELETE, Windows.Old, even with Administrator priviliges. Not doing it again!

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
Your experience with PCs is the exception. Most pcs i have worked on has been older than what your limited experience is. As far as Apple goes, most of their new features don't work on my iPad.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Army11Bravo wrote:

Although Apple computers are more expensive than most PC's, they typically last far longer than a PC computer. I used to replace my desktop PC's after 3 or 4 years, but my 2007 iMac desktop is running strong ten years later. My wife junks her work laptop PC's every 2 years, but my MacBook should last me 8-10 years. Many friends have 8+ year old MacBook computers.

The cost up front is higher, but if you take into account how long they last, they are a great value.

Way back when I was into games it was all about the video cards. Today's video cards alone are way more powerful than your 8 year old Mac.
If your needs are few, a simple XP will do.
I'll soon be updating my 5 year old PC simply because I want to get onto Virtual Reality, gogles and all.

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr. ed wrote:
Army11Bravo wrote:
The last decent OS from Microsoft was XP. When they moved to Vista, I jumped ship to Apple and haven't regretted the decision a single day since 2007. Too many headaches come with Windows. Good luck...

I also liked XP, but have to admit I also like W10. I had no problems installing the Anniversary edition. True, it did take a little while, but not the 6 hours it took for the OP. As I recall, it was just a few hours, or less, during one evening.
I wouldn't mind jumping to Apple, just for the experience. but those Mac computers can be pretty pricey. :E

Although Apple computers are more expensive than most PC's, they typically last far longer than a PC computer. I used to replace my desktop PC's after 3 or 4 years, but my 2007 iMac desktop is running strong ten years later. My wife junks her work laptop PC's every 2 years, but my MacBook should last me 8-10 years. Many friends have 8+ year old MacBook computers.

The cost up front is higher, but if you take into account how long they last, they are a great value.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

az99
Explorer
Explorer
What does the new update do better or fix?

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
delwhjr wrote:
Microsoft only is continuing support for XP for large corporate and enterprise users and that is subject to change at any time. The 2019 date is not official just speculation based on previous extensions. Microsoft will support an XP update to all if a critical security issue erupts that would compromise other systems. This info is direct from MS Developer Support.

All of my XP PC's are receiving updates on a regular basis. Anyone can, not just big corporations. Just have to know how!

You probably did the registry hack which allows you to get the updates that would normally be for the Embedded POS version or server 2003 version. While most of these will work ok, some can cause severe system instability. Lost count on the number of systems I have re-imaged after this hack.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
Did it over a verizon WIFI yesterday AM om my old Dell, it took about 4.5 hrs and when it booted it then took several boots before it would load Applications smoothly! Haven't tried much other than the apps, just going to use this as my test machine, If it works OK then do my 2013 Gateway!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
Microsoft only is continuing support for XP for large corporate and enterprise users and that is subject to change at any time. The 2019 date is not official just speculation based on previous extensions. Microsoft will support an XP update to all if a critical security issue erupts that would compromise other systems. This info is direct from MS Developer Support.

All of my XP PC's are receiving updates on a regular basis. Anyone can, not just big corporations. Just have to know how!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
delwhjr wrote:
For those wishing to run older programs on the newer boxes; get a virtual machine program like VMWare. You can create virtual versions of 7 ,XP or even DOS 6.0. You can also check out MS Hyper V for Windows 10.

While that can work for some applications it's far from an ideal solution. Full screen apps are not allowed starting with Windows 7 for instance. 64 Bit OS's will block most direct hardware I/O regardless of running in a 32 Bit VM or not. VM's suffer from timing issues for programs that rely heavily on such when communicating with external hardware such as DAQ devices.

I tend to feel most people that are general users, browsing, MS Office programs etc. are unaware of the complexity of problems that lack of backwards compatibility cause. Reliability is first and foremost as well as the massive expense of continually rewriting complex custom software every few years. OS's such as Unix/Linix do not suffer from that despite technological gains made over the years.

This is one reason why MS was forced to continue support for XP at least thru 2019 despite the very public announcement of ending such in 2014.

No it is not ideal but it is a way to limp along until another option is available.

2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
For those wishing to run older programs on the newer boxes; get a virtual machine program like VMWare. You can create virtual versions of 7 ,XP or even DOS 6.0. You can also check out MS Hyper V for Windows 10.

While that can work for some applications it's far from an ideal solution. Full screen apps are not allowed starting with Windows 7 for instance. 64 Bit OS's will block most direct hardware I/O regardless of running in a 32 Bit VM or not. VM's suffer from timing issues for programs that rely heavily on such when communicating with external hardware such as DAQ devices.

I tend to feel most people that are general users, browsing, MS Office programs etc. are unaware of the complexity of problems that lack of backwards compatibility cause. Reliability is first and foremost as well as the massive expense of continually rewriting complex custom software every few years. OS's such as Unix/Linix do not suffer from that despite technological gains made over the years.

This is one reason why MS was forced to continue support for XP at least thru 2019 despite the very public announcement of ending such in 2014.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I heard about the Creator Edition of W10 in this thread so of course I just had to have it. It took 40 minutes from the time I clicked INSTALL to finish.

No problems with install.

This machine is 6.5 years old.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The stick in the eye for me and my small enterprise is Microsoft telling Intel and AMD to not allow older Windows on new machines. Even though I own $$$$$ worth of Windows 7 licenses, I can't load it on any 7th gen Intel or Ryzen machine. Even if I did, Windows Update will refuse to service the machine.

Microsoft is telling me fine you wanna stick with Windows 7, well, you better love that old hardware you're running, that's all you get!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My oldest and slowest PC has taken some time for the latest update - it's probably 10 years old. Our faster and newer machines weren't a problem (6 years to 1 year).

In any case, W10 works just fine on all of them.