cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MiFi and huge data draw

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using a Verizon MiFi hotspot and suddenly am having HUGE amounts of data being used. No videos, no games, no streaming, no online voice even. In 30 minutes has used over 1.2 Gb while I am reading emails and accessing a very small number of websites.

Always use a good security program and ran a scan - nothing. Did a Spyware check - zero. Cleaned caches, cleaned temp files. All give no answers. Have had data spikes over 6 gb and 2.2 gbs all in short times and generally using mostly my Comcast email account.

I cannot think of anything else to do. Am replacing the hotspot in case it is faulting. Verizon was pretty unable to assist in three tech calls. Sigh.

Any ideas of what has changed?? I have used a hotspot for over three years............. my internet habits have not changed. Just the data being used is now unreal!!! I need internet access on the road and this has always worked before. HELP!!!
53 REPLIES 53

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
Our Verizon Mi-Fi just did the same thing. It was using gigs even when we weren't using the puter. We have the 8G a month package and haven't gone over that in the 3 years we have had the unit. One day it used 13G. How in the heck can it do that?
I use puter for email & surfing the net. Very rarely look at 'you tube' and the like. Wife called Verizon and they had no explanation but sent me a new unit (arrived today) and 2 days before our billing cycle ends, we are to call them and they will make a billing adjustment.
It used 1G while my wife was on the phone with them and all I was doing was playing an installed game (no internet needed).

DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Check settings and make sure - Data Usage - is turned OFF. If on, phone will check every few minutes to see how much data has been used. Mine got turned on and cost me $100.00 in three days due to constant checking.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

grumpypapa
Explorer
Explorer
Do you use a GPS system that automatically sends you updates? Do you leave your hot spot on when you're not using it? I had a similar thing happen to me twice now. I think one time I had my hotspot on when I was using my Delorme GPS system and I found out it automatically connects to the internet and updates map files. I also have a Garmin GPS and I think the same thing must have happened. Since I stopped the automatic updates and always remember to turn the hotspot off, I haven't used the gobs of gibytes.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Are you running a cloud backup program like Carbonite?

I turn mine off before firing up the Mi-Fi or I get just what you say. If you use Outlook for email, every time you open a new one the program will backup the whole .PST file again which can be several GB's.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
Is somebody else logged into your hotspot?
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have turned off MS auto updates and will manually manage those. Trying everything I can think of. Still hoping for that magic answer........... Thanks. Keep the ideas coming!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It goes without saying that you shouldn't access the internet until you find out what the issue is.

It could be something as simple as Windows downloading updates.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
Antivirus or ms updates may be working behind your back.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check your firewall logs and see what program is accessing the internet. Sounds like you may have gotten compromised.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"