cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modem/ wireless recomendation please..

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Need to 'prolly replace my 15 or so year old modem and wireless. There are so many out there and I am technically illiterate in this realm and have no idea what brand(s) to consider. The current one in the photo below was picked out by the sales associate at a big box store when I bought my computer back then. It has worked well and is still working but might be a limiting factor in speed downloading and streaming. Don't ask me any questions on its bph, ghz, jigawatts, etc... I don't know what it is.

I would be interested in those specs in orders to understand a little better for what a new one should have. I would like to stay to a budgets of about $100- ish for both new components.

Recommendations?

Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
14 REPLIES 14

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear that you have found a solution.

I went through 3 modems over the years before buying a Surfboard about 6 years ago. Never had a problem with it since.

For wireless, I have an inexpensive router from Microcenter plus a Ubiquiti acces point. I'd like to replace the router with a simple wired router and another access point for more coverage.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all the comments... and following up on this topic to mention that I purchased and installed a NETGEAR C3000-100NAS N300 (8x4) WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3000).

...these things have come a long way and the set-up and install was so much easier than my 10 year old model that is nor retired.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Best Buy, they can tell you which modems are Comcast approved.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
You are correct in that only the modem has to be an โ€œapprovedโ€ model by Comcast.

Yes, this is the most important issue. I bought an older used one that was approved by my cable company (Bright House/Spectrum) for about $50. Not blazing fast, but fast enough for what I want.

The do sell "combo" units, modem with built in wired/wireless routers. If one of your goals is improved speed, especially on newer wireless (WiFi) device make sure it does at least 802.11g. 802.11n and 802.11ac are faster but only the newest (less than 5 years old) computers can use that.

D-Link and Linksys are still in business (Linksys is now owned by Belkin). I don't keep up with who is "the best". It changes to often and I find that 2 or 3 year old models meet my need.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
You will want to read through this page as well before connecting a new modem to Comcastโ€™s system. Install and Activate Your Purchased Modem for XFINITY Service
Here is a decent page on what to consider when buying a router.Two years ago I bought this one.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct in that only the modem has to be an โ€œapprovedโ€ model by Comcast. There are more options than what is shown on the page connected to the link you posted. On that page click on โ€œMy Device Info,โ€ and you will see more options.
I would recommend getting a modem with a much higher rating than 60 Mbps. My connection was rated at 75 Mbps and Comcast just bumped it up to 100 Mbps for no charge. This is my current modem, with which I have had no issues.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
...Google โ€œInternet Speed Test.โ€ You might want to replace just the router and leave the modem be if itโ€™s fast enough for your purposes.

This is my test result but my plan is for 60 mbsp,

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the feedback.

My goal is to replace both those components in my image posted. I do not know my password to access the wireless (don't suggest that alternative internet method, tried it and it does not work.) Apparently there are 2 passwords for the wireless components and I have one but not the other (does that make sense??) I cannot let others log on to my internet because I do not know my own password- sounds crazy but that is how it works... my computer has it saved somehow and my current laptop (soon to be replaced) stores it and accesses my internet via those 2 box things.

I have Comcast- good advice and I will check with them and perhaps see if they have recommendations. I do not know how fast I want but I am almost certain that anything out there now is faster than what I have. I get browsers that stall when loading a video or a movie if I am reading perhaps another website. I can not really watch anything TV from Comcast if another window is open.

Does Comcast require all stuff modem/ router/ wireless components to be compliant or only one of those? ON EDIT: from a quick search, it seam that modems are the only component that needs approval... correct?

Amazon Prime is discontinuing streaming soon to folk using Vista OS, so a new laptop is soon on the horizon and I will need to log onto my wireless (of which I currently cannot do sans the password.)

I want to buy new gradually in pieces: modem/ router/ wireless stuff first to insure those work with my exiting computer, then the new PC.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I think they're called routers now, not modems.

Modems and Routers are different. My system has a "modem" that captures the signal from the cell-tower signal and is transferred to a device that looks like a small television satellite dish. It has one port on it. You can plug directly into this and hook up to a computer or whatever with a wire. But you can also plug a wireless "router" to the modem and then you can attach either wireless devices or hardwired devices (to the "router").

My system is a broadband wireless fixed system. 2 antennas required. One on a cell tower or a high tower, and the other at home on a high pole (like a telephone pole), or your roof, if the line-of-site is clear of any trees, bushes, and buildings. A wire runs from this antenna to inside the home directly to the "Modem". It's very small, about the size of a band-aid box, plug into house electricity and then attach an Eithernet cable to the "WIFI router" where the signal is then disseminated through the entire house, and about 500 feet away. (works great for the trailer at home in the drive-way!)

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Who is your internet provider? The reason I ask is that my internet provider (Comcast) only supports certain modems.
My other question would be how fast do you want your internet connection to be? According to the specs I saw at Newegg.com the top speed for your D-Link dcm-202 is 43 Mbps. If you want to know your current speed, Google โ€œInternet Speed Test.โ€ You might want to replace just the router and leave the modem be if itโ€™s fast enough for your purposes.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think they're called routers now, not modems.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It plugs into your modem and that's it! It does have ports on the back if you want to attach your device with wires.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch... is that a combo unit? Specifically, is this all I would need to replace my existing 2 components?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We have this one in the house: Click here.

It's a 5G network and we have multiple devices connected to it, and they all work flawless. We occasionally have problems with our internet, since it's not a satellite, cable or over-the-phone system, (line of sight from cell towers).

My wife work from home 24x7 and I work from home 2 - 3 days a week, connected to our company system via company supplied laptops. In addition, we often have our 2 personal computers connected at the same time, plus our Smart Television in the living room. Often, (my 32 year old son) is on the Internet with his gaming buddies in another part of the house, and almost always, while at home, all 3 of our cell phones are connected to the same router wifi. And everything works flawless.

When camping, we have all our computers set up to use or cell phone wifi hot spot.

Netgear is a good product, and we didn't pay near that amount listed on the web site about 2 years ago. The router has worked very, very well for us. No complaints.