cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Movies from external hard drive storage to TV?

TVQ1
Explorer
Explorer
We have several old movies on an external hard drive storage. We'd like to be able to watch them while we are out and about. We don't want to stream them.

We have a TV and a DVD player, but the DVD doesn't have a USB. I'm happy to buy a new DVD player--but do they make one that has a USB port?

As you can likely tell--I'm pretty tech impaired! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks
28 REPLIES 28

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
LittleBill wrote:
TenOC wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
wd tv is pricey for what it is. u can get a amazon fire tv for 1/4 the price and install kodi on it, and it will play every single file format i have ever run across

My search of Amazon and eBay show them at about the same price. Look at WD TV Live Plus ($30 to $90) vs Amazon Fire TV. ($90)

i was basing it off "https://www.amazon.com/WD-TV-Media-Player-WDBYMN0000NBK-HESN/dp/B00JXFM75Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492274978&sr=1-4&keywords=wd+tv"

The WD TV Live Plus is a low cost version of the WD TV Media Player. I think (?) the major differences is the Media Player is Wireless
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
wd tv is pricey for what it is. u can get a amazon fire tv for 1/4 the price and install kodi on it, and it will play every single file format i have ever run across

My search of Amazon and eBay show them at about the same price. Look at WD TV Live Plus ($30 to $90) vs Amazon Fire TV. ($90)

i was basing it off "https://www.amazon.com/WD-TV-Media-Player-WDBYMN0000NBK-HESN/dp/B00JXFM75Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492274978&sr=1-4&keywords=wd+tv"

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
LittleBill wrote:

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
LittleBill wrote:

But you need wifi in order to acess the movies, correct? With the WD TV, you have them all already downloaded and ready..

you plug an external hd in with the movies preloaded

MrWizard
I just tested my LG blu-ray disc player
will play mpeg, mp4, mkv, vob, ts, mts, mt2, flv, and some 'not all' avi files (those that are xvid or dvix, other encodes not supported

my Homeworx PVR
supports , mts, ts, mkv, mp4, flv
does not support avi
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

LittleBill wrote:

But you need wifi in order to acess the movies, correct? With the WD TV, you have them all already downloaded and ready..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
WD TV Live is a good choice, especially if you have multiple formats, unless a DVR has encrypted or using a unique encoding/format.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use one of these and it works great!!!

https://smile.amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD-Portable-Digital-Player/dp/B008NO9RRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492106876&sr=8-1&keywords=WD+TV

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I have a WD TV that I keep in my RV . . That along with 2 external hard drives, I always have 200+ movies at my finger tips... the WD box is really only about 3" square, and comes with all the connecting wires needed to hook up to the hard drive.

I do the same thing

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

MrWizard
try putting the USb stick into a DVD/BD player usb port
and see if it plays
i think your tivo recordings are copy protected
or DRM protected with cinavia sound protection which blocks audio playback after a few minutes, the TV probably has cinavia DRM built in
as will the BD player
if you use VLC or MPC-HT, your PC will ignore cinavia and play the file, if it is NOT corrupted
there is almost nothing you can do about a recording with cinavia as far as removing the protection to play the file on consumer media players, dvd, tv etc
there is a tool from dvd-ranger call CinDe
a free download that will let you check your Tivo file or any video file for cinavia drm protection
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
On my last trip I tried pulling some TV shows from my Tivo and encoding them and putting them on a usb stick for my samsung tv in the rv. It would play but after about 10 minutes would lose the audio. There's something wrong with the tool I'm encoding them with.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

TVQ1
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC--we are leaning towards just buying a new DVD/BlueRay player. That seems like a simple & budget friendly solution for us. In addition we can rent newer movies from RedBox, etc if we are in a town/city. Our techie son found a Sony at best buy that should work--it has a USB slot on the front and will work with several different formats. It's around $60.
The model # is BDPS1700 if you want to look it up.
TVQ1

MrWizard
Mine will play avi, mpeg, mp4, mkv
That covers the most common formats

Most audio tracks will be mp3 or acc audio or maybe avc audio

I don't remember if it will play webm video and vobis audio
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s