cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite service

ginagary
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Winnebago Journey which we stay in 5 months a year. 2 1/2 months we have cable but the other 2 1/2 months we only have access to over the air antenna. What is the best solution to get cable channels for this short period of time?
Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:

Still, I understand that the Wally is a receiver but is it better than other DISH receivers? Is it a single or dual receiver? Is it smaller than say a 722?

Maybe I ought to just go to DISH and research.

The Wally is a 4th generation 211 receiver. For RVers, one of the biggest drawbacks of the Wally (and the 211z) can be the lack of a RF output which allows hookup of a 2nd TV.

Here are other DISH receiver comparisons . . .

6xx/7xx series 2-tuner receivers

Hopper comparisons
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is smaller than a 211K but about the same as the 211Z. Single tuner. RF Remote is the biggest difference as you don't need direct line of sight to change channels.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
My bad.. didn't read Bill's msg correctly.

Still, I understand that the Wally is a receiver but is it better than other DISH receivers? Is it a single or dual receiver? Is it smaller than say a 722?

Maybe I ought to just go to DISH and research.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right! The Wally is NOT a 211. It's just the latest single tuner receiver from Dish and it adds RF capabilities. Some are reporting issues with the Wally and some of the portable dome antennas but not all.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Mile High wrote:
lanerd wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Dish Network Pay as you go plan and a Winegard T4 or King Dome Tailgater. You will need a 211 or Wally receiver from Dish and you will be able to pay for the 2 months you need service and that's all.

What's a wally receiver?
Unless it has been fixed, the Wally has a software issue that requires it to find and lock all 3 satellites on check switch before it will operate. If you are in a spot it can't find one or two satellites, its a lame duck. However the Wally is Wifi and has a UHF remote which is nice.

The VIP211z or k work dandy without that software issue on 3 satellites, but it does not have WiFi and uses an Infared remote.

I heard they were working on a fix for the Wally

Wait! Bill says the Wally is a 211 receiver, but you said the Wally has a software issue but the 211 doesn't. I'm confused. Is the 211 and Wally the same thing or not?

Ron
no he didnt. He said you would need a 211 OR a Wally.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
lanerd wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Dish Network Pay as you go plan and a Winegard T4 or King Dome Tailgater. You will need a 211 or Wally receiver from Dish and you will be able to pay for the 2 months you need service and that's all.

What's a wally receiver?
Unless it has been fixed, the Wally has a software issue that requires it to find and lock all 3 satellites on check switch before it will operate. If you are in a spot it can't find one or two satellites, its a lame duck. However the Wally is Wifi and has a UHF remote which is nice.

The VIP211z or k work dandy without that software issue on 3 satellites, but it does not have WiFi and uses an Infared remote.

Wait! Bill says the Wally is a 211 receiver, but you said the Wally has a software issue but the 211 doesn't. I'm confused. Is the 211 and Wally the same thing or not?

Ron
Ron & Sandie

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from Class A
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:

What's a wally receiver?

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
janstey58 wrote:
Mile_High wrote:
If its Dish, you can get a RV receiver on that account for $7/month, get an antenna, and always have Dish in the RV that you have at home. If you suspend your home account while away, that wouldn't work and Pay as you go would solve the issue.

Only true if you purchase the RV receiver and own it. If you lease, as you might with your other home receivers, it is more $$ per month and you cannot stop/start service as needed.
True. My Vip211z was $59 through Dish. I had to buy it, as I am way over max lease units with 9 receivers.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
lanerd wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:

What's a wally receiver?

It's a Dish Network receiver like a 211Z or K.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Mile_High wrote:
If its Dish, you can get a RV receiver on that account for $7/month, get an antenna, and always have Dish in the RV that you have at home. If you suspend your home account while away, that wouldn't work and Pay as you go would solve the issue.

Only true if you purchase the RV receiver and own it. If you lease, as you might with your other home receivers, it is more $$ per month and you cannot stop/start service as needed.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:

What's a wally receiver?
Ron & Sandie

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
What do you have where you stay the rest of the time?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Bill that the Dish pay-as-you-go plan is the best choice for your situation, as well as the VIP receiver choices. The Tailgater and the in-motion Winegard T4 are both Dish western arc only antennas though, so I'd suggest the Winegard Pathway X2 as the better choice there. The ability to choose either the eastern or western arc satellites can make a big difference on sites with lots of trees or other obstructions.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate