cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Navigation nightmare

Stutch
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all!!! After exhaustive searching and coming to the conclusion that no navigation system for MHs are complete. Actually, the word should be horrible!!!

I have a Garmin 760LMT and find it basically useless without routing software and the ability to create routes on my computer and upload them to the GPS. Too many custom changes needed to try to do this on the GPS itself. Basecamp is terrible and a nightmare to use. The designers should sit behind users and watch them pull their hair out!

Anyway, the easiest and best software I have seen is RV Trip Wizard. Unfortunately, they fall very very short of exporting their routes to Garmin. You can create a CSV file, which is nothing more than a collection of POIs. I found a CSV to GPX utility but that gets me nowhere as well.

So I am throwing this out question to any fellow GEEKS out there!!! HAS ANYONE EXPORTED A GPX FILE TO GARMIN AND HAVE IT SHOW UP IN THE CORRECT ORDER AS A ROUTE? I plan a trip from the East Coast to the West Coast and there is no way I can put the trip together with tools I can find.

By the way, Good Sam Trip Planner is very close but if you don't own a Rand McNally it is useless! Hey, Good Sam.... Some of us PAYING CUSTOMERS use other GPS units!!!!!!

Thanks
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
Honda CRV
TM
10 REPLIES 10

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
I really like Basecamp. But it is difficult to learn. There are many tutorials on You Tube that helped me get the hang of Basecamp.

You also MUST upgrade basecamps maps from the default to have any real info. on your laptop. Once you've done that Basecamp is very detailed.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
Tom N wrote:

Even though MS Streets & Trips no longer updates their map file, It still works well for planning routes.
Agreed. It is on your laptop and does not need an internet connection to plan a route like Google. It also can be used with a GPS dongle to provide guidance.

The constant downloading of new maps is a sales pitch by the GPS makers. How many new roads are built that would cause you to get lost.

I download the latest POI files from http://www.poi-factory.com/ and load them into MS Streets & Trips. This gives me the very latest POIs. Works great.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:

Even though MS Streets & Trips no longer updates their map file, It still works well for planning routes.
Agreed. It is on your laptop and does not need an internet connection to plan a route like Google. It also can be used with a GPS dongle to provide guidance.

The constant downloading of new maps is a sales pitch by the GPS makers. How many new roads are built that would cause you to get lost.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I can import and export .GPX files to my old Garmin 255W. I use MS Streets & Trips to create and view the .GPX files.

I always have the latest map file on my Garmin 255W. I just installed NA 2016-10.

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
I always use Google Maps to see what routes it will suggest. You usually get 3 choices. You can shift the route to go where you desire quite easily.

I then print out the route to take along for the trip.

I now use a NUVI 2589LMT when driving. It has traffic, and map updating.

and "yes" the routes it chooses are generally not the route I prefer. I just start out and go the route I want. Just ignore the GPS when it differs from your intended route. The new Garmin GPS's will quickly recalculate the route after a mile or two and eventually follow your choice.

States and counties are not very good with keeping mapping companies up to date on construction, but the traffic feature does work for re-routing if the delays on the current route add to much time delay.

I have found in most cases that when the GPS re-routes on my intended route that the arrival time listed gets moved up earlier.

Anyone who travels and does not carry maps for the states travelled is just asking for trouble. Maps are usually free at nearest rest-stop after entering a new state. GPS's are an excellent tool when used correctly.

They are not for the "clueless" who can't read a map or travel without one. It should be noted that when any of us plans our own route for use on a GPS that we may run into construction problems and either change the route of endure long delays.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Check out GPS Visualizer. It'll convert almost anything GPS-related into almost anything else GPS related. Among other things, I've used it to create a route on Google Maps, then export that to a KML file, and then use gps visualizer to turn it into a Garmin GPX file, which I then upload to my Garmin Dezl.

Took me a month or so to get the hang of Base Camp, and it's still not as intuitive for me as Delorme's Street Atlas, but it works. And I can still create a route in Street Atlas, and then use gps visualizer to turn it into a GPX file.

For the motorhome, I NEVER use the Garmin GPS to create a route - I always create it on the computer, one way or another, and then upload it.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

Stutch
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz... No need for Diesel, No low bridges, No time needed...., No roads to follow, Etc...
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
Honda CRV
TM

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
It's a wonder Lewis and Clark ever completed their trek west.
No map
No GPS.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I used to plan my trips on DeLorme Topo 4.0. Now they are on version 10 or 12 or something.

DeLorme sold a USB plug in antenna, so I could use my 15" laptop to act as the GPS. This was great when the Garmins where well over $300 back in the day.

Now I use a Garmin to drive back and forth to work, as it has traffic on it, and works pretty good at predicting how much traffic I will run into on the way home. I have found several 'shortcuts' where I drive through the country south of town, then arrive home a lot sooner than taking the freeway.

Topo 4.0 I could plan a route, then click on something to give me a profile of the route. It should show the steepest grade, and give a profile where the mountain pass was like a graph, showing the elevations as it moved from start to finish.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
You might find everything you are looking for here:
Www.Advrider.com
These folks on adventure rider are doing gps stuff all the time.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT