cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

netgear mobile wifi booster

richk88
Explorer
Explorer
anyone have any experience with one of these.At our seasonal site we have good wifi from the campgrounds open network when outside the camper(8mbps download) but when going inside the camper the wifi signal drops down to one bar and really slows down,was going to try one of the mobile boosters but I'm not sure if it will work with a shared open network.
2014 Shasta Revere 27RL
Retired from pulling and went seasonal
8 REPLIES 8

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad

richk88 wrote:
1492 wrote:
Any router that has repeater or bridge repeater mode should do what you want. You just need to set the CGs SSID in the router, no password needed if open WiFi network.

this is just for mobile use,smartphones and tablets so I would have no way to setup a router

Glad its working. But to just to clarify, you can use a repeater with virtually any type of WiFi source. In fact, many will even set themselves up automatically with open network sources. So nothing to set. And, yes it does work with smartphones and tablets. I use a repeater with updated open source firmware for increasing the signal from my hotspot device. Costs me a total of $4.

richk88
Explorer
Explorer
Picked one up and it's working great
2014 Shasta Revere 27RL

docj
Explorer
Explorer
dan-nickie wrote:
Read some of the stuff on the webpage.

YOu have to have access to the Router to be able to set it up.

Works with devices supporting Wi-Fi Protected Setupยฎ (WPS).

Installation guide

It's my understanding that WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) has a significant security flaw that has caused most people who worry about security to stop using it. You can read about that flaw here: WPS security flaw

If you're looking for a wifi booster to extend your ability to receive campground wifi there are a number on the market designed jus for that. I won't mention any brands, but you can search for threads on "WiFi Exenders or Boosters" and you will find plenty.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

richk88
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
Any router that has repeater or bridge repeater mode should do what you want. You just need to set the CGs SSID in the router, no password needed if open WiFi network.

this is just for mobile use,smartphones and tablets so I would have no way to setup a router
2014 Shasta Revere 27RL

richk88
Explorer
Explorer
did an online chat session with netgear tech. support and according to the person I talked with it does work without a password on a open network.guess I will pick one up and give it a try,worst case if it don't work I can just return it.
2014 Shasta Revere 27RL

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Read some of the stuff on the webpage.

YOu have to have access to the Router to be able to set it up.

Works with devices supporting Wi-Fi Protected Setupยฎ (WPS).

Installation guide
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB