cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Computer Download Sequence - "Results"

wilpower
Explorer
Explorer
Have put off getting a new computer with Win 8.1, BUT old computer with Win 7 is dying, so can't wait for Win 10.
I will download "Classic Shell" and try to live with Win 8.1 that way until I can download Win 10.
So here are the questions:
1- Is it better to download "classic shell" BEFORE, I transfer all my settings/files from old computer, or AFTER?
2- What about other programs, such as Firefox, or Thunderbird, Before or After?
Any other suggestions for transferring my data? I will use Win easy transfer, unless there is a better way.
Thanks for your answers.

* See my results on page 2 *
20 REPLIES 20

wilpower
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I would post my results, hopefully it will help someone else.
Got the new computer last Fri. 4-3, booted up, did NOT like Win 8.1 interface, even on desktop mode, but figured I'd give it a couple of days. On Sat. I transferred all files and preferences from "old" computer to new. Yesterday I first downloaded Windows updates, 76, yes 76 of them! and no, I still didn't like interface.
So, I then downloaded classic shell 4.1, Firefox, Thunderbird, Libre Office etc.
What a difference classic shell makes, machine is now just like my Win 7, and I'm a happy camper.
Now for the original question, because I had transferred all files and preferences ahead of time, when I opened Firefox, and Thunderbird, lo and behold, all was the same, all settings, bookmarks, add-on's, mail folders, etc.
So I guess the answer to my original question is, Transfer first, Then install the programs.
Thanks again to all that posted.

MrWizard
Classic shell 4.1 maybe other versions
Have the option of using the XP start menu format or the win 7 format

I expect to use this Dell loaner....about 8 weeks, then get back my Lenovo core i5 from repair..this Dell has the two core 2830 Celeron
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
classic shell was just about the first thing, i put on my Win 8 PC when i got it
then i immediately installed anti-virus and anti malware protection

then the rest of my programs

i think it was
fire fox
classic shell
antivirus ..etc

which i will soon be doing all over again on another PC

a hinge has broken on this laptop and the display back light has gone out
at this moment i am using my TV for a display all this happen saturday

this time i bought the 3yr service contract, this thing turned two on Jan 29,
so FRYS gets to repair it or replace it..their choice ?
taking it in this week, just as soon as i can backup all my files and data and verify i didn't miss any thing

wow. seems like yesterday when you were researching for a laptop w/ power.

martha's inexpensive dell ($250) hard drive crashed just after 1 yr. my 2 old XP machines went out and since november i have been on an inexpensive toshiba ($230} w/ win 8.1. it has some better low vision accessibility features that go beyond XP's, but i have not tried to master 8.1 like i had XP (which took many years).

for those looking to get a new PC which will be 8.1, consider that win 10 will build on it as well as bring back familiar classic features. i would say spend a few months using 8.1 w/o a shell for now. follow the tips others have been giving in this thread to tame the 8.1 desktop down closer to win 7. this should get you by for a while, then you will likely roll more comfortably into the free win 10 coming as soon as late summer.

on edit:

btw, just for fun i stuck my ms office 97 CD into win 8.1 which loaded and runs perfectly. i did not do anything special to make it happen.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
I've used my 8.1 machine for a year, booting only to the desktop view. Looks just like 7. No outside "shell" or add-on is needed. I've never once used the "metro" view or whatever dumb name they've given it.

Strollin above has shown you how to set it.

Why don't I just get modern? Because I don't want to, that's why!

Me too. I hate changes made just for the sake of change and moving things to different locations where they are harder to find.

An example is the little icon that brings up the desktop when there are several program open. First it was on the left end of the taskbar, then they moved it to right side, now in Win 8/8.1 it isn't visible but if you move the cursor to the far right edge on the bar and click, it brings the desktop up. That sort of thing aggravates me.

Other items that makes me unhappy - In their infinite wisdom MS has also decided File History is all we need - a System Image that preserves settings and installed programs is not needed so they have now made it difficult to find.
When Win 8 was developed they decided that the mouse was an anachronism so paid little attention to it's use. That bit them in the tookus so now we have Win 8.1 and shortly Win 10.

Okay, off my soap box. ๐Ÿ™‚
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I've used my 8.1 machine for a year, booting only to the desktop view. Looks just like 7. No outside "shell" or add-on is needed. I've never once used the "metro" view or whatever dumb name they've given it.

Strollin above has shown you how to set it.

Why don't I just get modern? Because I don't want to, that's why!

MrWizard
my laptop is in for repair. i am using a loaner with win8.1
after a few hours of fighting with the limited desktop menu

i just installed classic shell 4.1 on this machine
much better
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
In order to set Win 8.1 to boot to the Desktop:

While on the Desktop, right-click on the Taskbar and select "Properties". On the "Taskbar and navigation" dialog, select the Navigation tab. Put a checkmark in the box labeled, "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start".

Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

wilpower
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who have answered so far. I will try changing 8.1 to boot to "desktop" first, see if that does the trick, if not I will install Classic Shell.
I do have a "easy transfer" cable to connect the 2 computers for transferring files and such.
I have read the Mozilla instructions for transferring Thunderbird data, BUT, they don't specify whether to transfer first or install the program first.
As to Firefox, it seems pretty straight forward to load the "bookmarks" from one computer to the other.
Thanks again.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
wilpower wrote:
Have put off getting a new computer with Win 8.1, BUT old computer with Win 7 is dying, so can't wait for Win 10.
I will download "Classic Shell" and try to live with Win 8.1 that way until I can download Win 10.
So here are the questions:
1- Is it better to download "classic shell" BEFORE, I transfer all my settings/files from old computer, or AFTER?
2- What about other programs, such as Firefox, or Thunderbird, Before or After?
Any other suggestions for transfering my data? I will use Win easy transfer, unless there is a better way.
Thanks for your answers.

Get a Windows 7 PC for $179 and install your old HDD as drive D so you have access to all of your data.

MrWizard
mileshuff wrote:
Windows 8.1 Pro includes free downgrade rights to Windows 7. Thats the solution I took with my new laptop.

i think thats the solution i would like
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
sherlock62 wrote:
...Regarding, Windows 8.1 .... You do not need the Classic Shell. You would be foolish to install same....Forget Classic Shell!!...

and why is that???

8.1 includes a start button....sort of. Does not allow all the things the Windows 7 start button can do by right or left clicking on it but its better than nothing.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Windows 8.1 Pro includes free downgrade rights to Windows 7. Thats the solution I took with my new laptop.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
sherlock62 wrote:
...Regarding, Windows 8.1 .... You do not need the Classic Shell. You would be foolish to install same....Forget Classic Shell!!...

and why is that???
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
SNIP

a hinge has broken on this laptop and the display back light has gone out
at this moment i am using my TV for a display all this happen saturday

this time i bought the 3yr service contract, this thing turned two on Jan 29,
so FRYS gets to repair it or replace it..their choice ?
taking it in this week, just as soon as i can backup all my files and data and verify i didn't miss any thing

I rarely buy service contracts for anything.
Laptops are the exception. I have bought one for all of our laptops for years and have saved money in all cases.

An Example:
Last week my wife's HP envy m6 was replaced just shy of a year after we bought it because of it's propensity to do thermal shutdowns could not be repaired by whomever BestBuy uses to do work under their service contract.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad