Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New IE Vulnerability: XP Users Take Note

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Microsoft Warns of Attacks on IE Zero-Day

I know the XP topic has been covered extensively and that most XP users here are wise enough to not be IE users, but just in case anyone is still using IE on XP you really need to switch browsers now.

Please note that anti-malware and anti-virus software is not necessarily going to protect you against this kind of issue.

You simply are not safe using IE on XP.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K
46 REPLIES 46

DC&MC wrote:
Control and B gives me bookmarks, but I wanted my
Favorites list

OK.

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, I looked too quick. I see this is the same as my favorites list but just
set up differently
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Control and B gives me bookmarks, but I wanted my
Favorites list
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

CTRL+B

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, so I downloaded firefox and am wondering how to have my favorites list show on the left like I had it on Explorer.
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

Unfortunately, this is all too common. I'm willing to bet that easily over 90%+ of users are running Admin accounts in Windows. Though the risk have been reduced with UAC turned on, it's still unnecessary in most every case. Rarely does an enterprise environment allow running in Admin mode, as it can compromise the security of the whole company intranet.

Windows also has a built in Guest Account mode which is handy to activate as an option, especially when sharing your computer with young children or less techie inclined adults, including the curious cat, who apparently is able to discover every Windows hidden configuration and settings functions in existence.

Basically, a Guest account doesn't allow any permanent system changes, configurations, or storing local files. Just reboot, and the system is returned to defaults. I keep Guest accounts on all my computers, and switch to it if sharing my system with anyone else.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Another tip- never ever, ever use a computer as an administrator unless you are installing or removing software. You should have a user account with no privileges to make changes to the system, and use that for everyday tasks.

....thought I'd run this EXCELLENT post up to the top of the pole again. This flies above the heads of perhaps 900 out of 1000 computer users out there.

... can't even imagine flying in superuser profile *wide open* in the "wild".

People: lock down your superuser profile permanently (learn all realms in the settng of permissions, or hire someone to do this for you), and only fly in the wild using a severely locked down (read: non administrator) profile (in fact: set up a non administrative secure log-in profile for every computer user in the household, and never divulge the administrator password-- ever). In addition, as mentioned earlier, use a browser with sandbox mode (learn what/where this is, and how to set it up). Password your antivirus, password your anti-spyware; designate 1 person in the household as computer admin (that person will be the sole individual responsible for installing new software, doing maintenance, etc)...using a strong password.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
epmes wrote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything negative, just trying to understand your point of view. I talk to enterprise customers every week, and have a very good understanding of how they approach upgrades. I'm less sure how consumers think about this, as that's not my area of expertise.

Understand that I'm MS-DOS vintage and hand-coded websites before WYSIWYG editors. I was also an NT holdout. I like knowing what my computer is doing, when it is doing it, and why.

I'm not a fan of glitz and automated processes that assume I need/want assistance in managing my computer. Debated switching to Linux to get back to simplicity, but took a chance with Win7 instead.

Sooooo - Win8 makes me feel that Microsoft is trying to be a Mac. I don't use apps, don't want built-in touch, don't like Bing, start-up time is irrelevant, don't want online storage, and don't need a computer's help to manage my life.

Disclaimer: My entertainment is outside my cabin's door. I live in the wilderness of Yukon where my address is a GPS coordinate and there is no 4G or 3G or CDMA. My computers (2 desktop PCs, 1 laptop PC, 1 MacBook Pro) are work tools & resources for my consulting work and photography hobby. :B
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Somewhat related to last few posts...I am curious about what significant gains a user notices moving from XP to W7.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

epmes
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
Now I will be a long-time holdout with Win7. I'm too old to want to work my desktop via a monitor; my shoulders, arms and neck wouldn't appreciate the exercise. As well, makes it hard to eat fried chicken while working.

I'm honestly curious about this. You say you held out against Windows 7 for a long time, but after you upgraded from XP it was a lot easier than you thought. Now you're holding out against Windows 8.1--so moving to Windows 7 didn't really establish any precedence in terms of ease-of-migration? Does part of you wonder if upgrading to Windows 8.1 might be easier than you think, but a larger part is concerned about people who nay-say it?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything negative, just trying to understand your point of view. I talk to enterprise customers every week, and have a very good understanding of how they approach upgrades. I'm less sure how consumers think about this, as that's not my area of expertise.

For me, moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8/8.1 was a non-issue. On Windows 7, I would click on an app that I had pinned to the task bar, or tap the "Start" key and then start typing the first few letters of the program name ("wo" for Word, "no" for notepad, etc.). I do the exact same thing on Windows 8/8.1. My main machines are all mouse/keyboard, and it seems to work pretty well for me without touch.

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft. (Yes, I feel obligated to say that in any MS-related thread.) But I'm not one of *those* guys. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Thor Chateau "Noof" 28Z

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
epmes wrote:
... but if you're still using a 12+ year old OS like XP, please consider upgrading.

I thought I was the ultimate hold-out on XP. But decided to make the switch to Windows7 last fall. Wow! Now I wonder why I held out so long.

Well, maybe I stuck with my beloved XP because the laptop had Vista and I figured if Win7 was as bad as Vista then I wasn't interested in changing my desktop. But Win7 has been great! Wish I had done it sooner.

Windows 7 runs perfectly on the XP desktop purchased in 2007. No issues with hardware or software. I expected some, but nothing. The whole changeover was seamless.

Now I will be a long-time holdout with Win7. I'm too old to want to work my desktop via a monitor; my shoulders, arms and neck wouldn't appreciate the exercise. As well, makes it hard to eat fried chicken while working.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

dannytas wrote:
so when I download Firefox do I need to uninstall IE?

No, you do not. In fact, you can install as many different browsers as you want. And even have more than one running at the same time. They're all separate applications, and don't depend on each other to run.

In fact, its a good idea to have two or more browsers installed on all your systems. So if you cannot use one for some reason, you already have a backup browser installed. Just make sure to keep them updated.

epmes
Explorer
Explorer
The ironic thing about this is that there were only limited, targeted attacks. It was one known malicious group with specific targets--not really a consumer play at all, and not relevant for most business customers either. "Concerns were, frankly, overblown" according to one Microsoft blog. It hit mainstream media primarily because it was the first public exploit to hit after XP's end of service, and there wasn't an easy, consumer-friendly workaround. Microsoft chose to issue the patch to all affected versions of IE, but if you're still using a 12+ year old OS like XP, please consider upgrading.

Disclaimer: I work for Microsoft and didn't get much sleep this week. I'm also an avid RVer. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Thor Chateau "Noof" 28Z

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
I got my IE8 update for XP this morning. :C
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club