cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for anyone who uses a Verizon MiFi 6620L

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at purchasing a 6620L only because it appears that they may have a port for an external antenna. There are several antenna adapters on the market that say they fit the 6620L but the online PDF manual identifies the only exterior post as a "diagnostic" port. Can anyone say, for sure, that this is an antenna port? I need to be able to use an external yagi to reach the nearest tower from my lake house.

I have a Wilson Sleek, but it doesn't work well. I sent it back and Wilson tested it "OK".
27 REPLIES 27

MrWizard
post the model number of the sleek

some one will look it up and give you the info

mine is the sleek 4G-V 700/800/1900 mhz, model 2B515

IIRC LTE is in the 700mhz band NOT the 800mhz

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Cheat-sheet-which-4G-LTE-bands-do-AT-T-Verizon-T-Mobile-and-Sprint-us...

Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless was the first to arrive to the 4G LTE race and it has also built its nationwide network based on 700 MHz spectrum, but the primary band for Verizon is band 13. Bands 2 and 4 are used to strengthen the signal in the densely populated urban areas. One important thing to note about Verizon Wireless is that many phones are built specifically for the carrier, including its 4G LTE bands.

800mhz is used mainly for 1xrtt and 1x-evo

1700/2100 is the XLTE dual band use

VoLTE aka voice over data is in there someplace for video call support on android, i think that is in the 700 bands

there is some re-allocation of 800mhz bands for LTE support has CDMA is phased out and phones are removed from the network
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
mr. Wizzard wrote:
have you tried the yagi on sleek

Yes. I actually have two. One I homemade for 800mHz and another I bought fro Wilson. Neither works great but the homemade one works a little better.

Mr. Wizard wrote:
Are you trying to get LTE data on a 3G sleek, that won't work
The lte models are backward compatible to 3G and 1x, but the 3G models are not tuned to LTE and can not pick it up

When I first bought it I had to wait for the FCC to approve the 4G to replace the older 3G. There were a lot of folks still trying to unload the 3G models on unsuspecting buyers. It seemed to work well at first and then not so well. I sent it back to Wilson and they said it was working. I don't know :@

Since this thread began I've found that Verizon offers a 7730L which they now claim is the "best ever", as usual.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a 6620L and an external antenna. The antenna often makes the difference between two and four bars or between 3G and 4G depending on where we are.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

MrWizard
The reason it's an adapter, is because it really is a test port, to be used to test the input sensitivity and output signal

If you have the sleek have you tried the yagi on sleek

Are you trying to get LTE data on a 3G sleek, that won't work
The lte models are backward compatible to 3G and 1x, but the 3G models are not tuned to LTE and can not pick it up

There were several models of sleek before Wilson changed marketing names to "WeBoost"
The current model is all bands all carriers except 'Nextel iDent'
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of using a yagi or Trucker, which has its own ground plane.

I was not intending to tell you what to use. Only stated what I used.

But I do believe you will need a 2.5 gig antenna.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Fred_n_Jo wrote:
Verizon's answer to that question is on this page, scroll down to the Q/A section

https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/jetpack-mifi-6620l/

It appears that the answer, mistakenly, relates to an external antenna to increase the output range. I think the questioner was looking for the same info as I am, as to increasing the range for incoming signal.

I, somehow, believe that the FCC has rules that relate to how you can enhance your connection, forcing the manufacturer, Novatel to be evasive about the functionality of the "diagnostic" port.

This idea may be a little far fetched, but, from articles I read back when the Sleek was being developed, there was a bit of resistance from the FCC to allow one to gain a connection advantage by use of this device. It was believed that distant users could bump access from users located in closer tower proximity.

Yes it does have an antenna port.

It is on top same side as power switch. The cover is a little difficult. Just lift straight up.

I glued a 12 inch pie plate with dicor on the roof of my trailer.

The pie plate was grounded to the trailer frame.

Thus the pie plate serves as a magnetic base for my magnetic antenna and a ground plane for the antenna.

It does work with a significant increase in signal strength.

My 5th wheel has the groilla cage aluminum frame which is not good for radio signals inside the trailer.

Search for antenna adaptors and antennas for the 6620L.

I was thinking of using a yagi or Trucker, which has its own ground plane.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it does have an antenna port.

It is on top same side as power switch. The cover is a little difficult. Just lift straight up.

I glued a 12 inch pie plate with dicor on the roof of my trailer.

The pie plate was grounded to the trailer frame.

Thus the pie plate serves as a magnetic base for my magnetic antenna and a ground plane for the antenna.

It does work with a significant increase in signal strength.

My 5th wheel has the groilla cage aluminum frame which is not good for radio signals inside the trailer.

Search for antenna adaptors and antennas for the 6620L.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help with the Verizon MiFi 6620L, but their AC791L Jetpack (made by Netgear) has a pair of antenna ports.

As to the Sleek - be sure you have one designed for your carrier. Wilson went through a number of designs for them, including carrier specific models, one with a switch to go between carriers, etc. While the wrong one may boost some 3G connections, you need the correct model for 4G.

I have a Sleek with the switch, and it does provide a strong boost for Verizon (with the switch up, the position for the Verizon network). I've connected my WirEng Boat Antenna directly to the jetpack and had far less gain.

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
I suspect all of the Antennas you are talking about for these units will use the WILSON SLEEK idea of close proximity - no actual antenna connection.

Then why do they make an antenna adapter for the 6620L?

I have a Sleek and am not that impressed. Of course, I'm looking for 4G, not 3G. I'm sure that makes a difference. My goal is 4+ mb/sec download.

I have two ATT Hot spots. One is a stand alone "wireless and home phone" box that sits sideways in a window. I also have a new state of the art AC 815 S by netgear with two antennas mounted on the roof. The home base gets better speeds sitting in the window than the Netgear does with two antennas. I don't think anyone can guarantee yo LTE all the time. It doesn't seem to be logical.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon's answer to that question is on this page, scroll down to the Q/A section

https://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/jetpack-mifi-6620l/
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect all of the Antennas you are talking about for these units will use the WILSON SLEEK idea of close proximity - no actual antenna connection.

Then why do they make an antenna adapter for the 6620L?

I have a Sleek and am not that impressed. Of course, I'm looking for 4G, not 3G. I'm sure that makes a difference. My goal is 4+ mb/sec download.

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it can be used for an antenna.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Verizon 2200 MIFI unit and it only has the CHARGE port on it...

I set it in the WILSON SLEEK Cradle all the time here... This does not require an antenna connection and uses close proximity to utilize the embedded antenna panel in the cradle holder. Doing this gives a bigger area outside my popup where I can engage the Mifi unit. I can get a good 100-feet plus radius around my patio area with my WILSON antenna on the edge of the popup Trailer..

I also can use the cradle for my cell phone and you sure can see the presence of the WILSON outside antenna just getting the cellphone close to the back of the cradle. The bars jump up big time...

I can also have the Verizon MIFI unit sitting in the WILSON Sleek cradle in the truck with theoutside antenna and can use the mifi unit going down the road giving us internet for the tablets etc while onthe road. This does run into dead spots however where my cellphone doesn't... Cell Phone must have a better front end the mifi 2200 unit does..

I can actually see a better signal inside the POPUP trailer if I have the cradle turned on with nothing in its cradle. The cradle holder broadcasts into the trailer somewhat.

My 2200 MIFI looks like this...

You can see the charge cable on the front shown here...
My 2200 Mifi only works on 2G/3G networks. Not enough throughput speed to do any downstreaming - Only good for low speed Internet connections. I only have a 3GB dataplan per month for this unit..

Folks using the JETPACK Series seems to do pretty good downstreaming things.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS