cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Streaming Hulu from computer to TV...

Kidsgone
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to stream my Hulu programs from my computer to the TV in our MH? We have a Samsung TV with a DVD/CD/Aux player. I'm assuming if this is possible to use an HDMI cable right?
Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks Andi
24 REPLIES 24

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:

We have an unlimited Verizon data plan so we don't care about data usage . . .

This might have something to do with your use of streaming.;)
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

docj
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
docj wrote:

Our experience is that the data usage is significantly less than the commonly cited 2GB/hour. When we need to limit bandwidth we set our Netflix account to a lower quality video (which is still quite watchable) and we find that our usage is ~1Gb/2 hours (roughly one movie).

So for your stated usage of 1GB/2 hours, your data rate is about 1.5Mps. According to the Netflix chart, this is SD quality TV.

For HD quality, you need to select the "Best quality" Video Selection for HD which is 2.3GB/hour (or 5Mbps).

BTW, this probably is 720p (entry-level HD), not 1080p. If you want 1080p on Netflix (or "SuperHD"), you'll need a 7Mbps data stream (or about 2.9GB/hour).

While I don't "need" 1080p, I'd sure like at least 720p. Otherwise, why invest in flat screens?

If you read the Netflix setting info you will see that the data rates give are "up to" the levels shown. Our experience is that Netflix streams rarely use the maximum rate specified for a specific quality.

Furthermore, a lot of the content on Netflix that we enjoy are foreign TV shows most of which weren't broadcast in HD anyway so we aren't losing anything by watching them at lower resolution. I'd rather have SD Netflix than nothing at all.

We have an unlimited Verizon data plan so we don't care about data usage, but sometimes the internet connection won't support higher data rates. Netflix has some ability to dynamically set the data rate depending on connection speed, but I find the results are more consistent if I change the account settings.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
kab449 wrote:

Before I leave I download the movies or shows I have on my Direct TV Genie onto my tablet and play them through the HDMI output to my flat screen. Don't need WiFi.

How do you download from the Genie? Sounds like a great idea.

There is a new Direct TV App called Genie GO that you have to install on your tablet, computer, or smartphone. You do have to have another piece of hardware that Direct TV supplies. It is a hardwired internet connection that wirelessly connects to the genie receiver to stream the content on the DVR.
You can either stream the content if you have WiFi or the genie go app gives you the option when you are on WiFi to download the content to your hard drive. It only remains active for 30 days then you have to do it again.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:

We like to stream video and use a Roku because it avoids the necessity of running cables from the laptop to the TV and it also avoids tying up the computer when we are watching a video.

Roku (until yesterday) and Chromecast are both Cloud dependent -- you must have an Internet connection to use them.

For RVers with limited broadband data, my vote is with AppleTV or a Roku 3 with the iOS. While both can stream video via the Cloud, both can use AirPlay for device-to-device streaming to play video from computers, tablets, and phones.

docj wrote:

Our experience is that the data usage is significantly less than the commonly cited 2GB/hour. When we need to limit bandwidth we set our Netflix account to a lower quality video (which is still quite watchable) and we find that our usage is ~1Gb/2 hours (roughly one movie).

So for your stated usage of 1GB/2 hours, your data rate is about 1.5Mps. According to the Netflix chart, this is SD quality TV.

For HD quality, you need to select the "Best quality" Video Selection for HD which is 2.3GB/hour (or 5Mbps).

BTW, this probably is 720p (entry-level HD), not 1080p. If you want 1080p on Netflix (or "SuperHD"), you'll need a 7Mbps data stream (or about 2.9GB/hour).

While I don't "need" 1080p, I'd sure like at least 720p. Otherwise, why invest in flat screens?
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:
Kidsgone wrote:
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. I have a MacBook Pro and wifi will not be a problem. So now I just have to reread all the posts about 10 times to understand it all, then I'm good to go. ...

Did you completely miss what many people said about streaming from campground wifi? The fact that you have a MacBook Pro won't help you in any way.

Maybe he's not talking about campground WiFi.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
Kidsgone wrote:
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. I have a MacBook Pro and wifi will not be a problem. So now I just have to reread all the posts about 10 times to understand it all, then I'm good to go. ...

Did you completely miss what many people said about streaming from campground wifi? The fact that you have a MacBook Pro won't help you in any way.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Kidsgone wrote:
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. I have a MacBook Pro and wifi will not be a problem. So now I just have to reread all the posts about 10 times to understand it all, then I'm good to go.
Friend back home went total cable free with Roku, Hulu, etc...shes a techy anyway...saved $130 mo going away from cable....would I love to do that! My kids don't use cable either...guess this is going to be a trend?!?!
Thanks everyone..
Andi

On your MacBook Pro it outputs to the internal speakers by default. After you have connected to your TV with HDMI, go to System Preferences (under the Apple menu), select Sound, then the Output tab. Change it from Internal to HDMI. It will remember the setting so it will always play audio through HDMI when connected and internal speakers when not using HDMI.

Kidsgone
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. I have a MacBook Pro and wifi will not be a problem. So now I just have to reread all the posts about 10 times to understand it all, then I'm good to go.
Friend back home went total cable free with Roku, Hulu, etc...shes a techy anyway...saved $130 mo going away from cable....would I love to do that! My kids don't use cable either...guess this is going to be a trend?!?!
Thanks everyone..
Andi

docj
Explorer
Explorer
rockylarson wrote:
The whole streaming internet to TV field is heating up.

Smart tvs with internet apps, play stations and 360's that stream video from internet to TV, small boxes like ROKU, and the newest, but not the last "Chromecast"

Streaming Video

Some almost the same cost as a high end HDMI cable but done wirelessly.

IMHO dedicated "boxes" such as Roku (and probably Chromecast) are superior to "smart TVs), Blu-ray players, etc, for streaming because they are updated on a regular basis. I have a Blu-ray player that I bought because it had Netflix, but the following year when I wanted to access Amazon it was of no use. Now my Roku has hundreds of channels and its firmware is periodically updated.
Sandie & Joel

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
It depends if the graphics adapter or chipset has integrated audio. Most newer graphics adapters with HDMI out do. I believe MacBooks have done so for at least 3+ years. The option should show up in Managing Sound Devices as HDMI playback, and audio needs to be set for 48khz.

The ATI graphics card in my PC was purchased Feb 2010 so it's 3 1/2 years old. HDMI with audio isn't just a Mac thing...
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

MrWizard
HDMI cable transfers both video and audio
dvi/cable is for camera use not TV use

i use hdmi to watch netflix on the HDTV using the laptop

a VGA or other dvi 'break out' cable, is a multi cable system

OP did not ask about dvi
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
The whole streaming internet to TV field is heating up.

Smart tvs with internet apps, play stations and 360's that stream video from internet to TV, small boxes like ROKU, and the newest, but not the last "Chromecast"

Streaming Video

Some almost the same cost as a high end HDMI cable but done wirelessly.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
NHIrish wrote:
If you set up a wireless network, you can use a roku or wdtv live box...but you will need loads of bandwidth if you are using a cellular connection to the internet. I read somewhere that an hour of movie download is about 2 gb on your wireless service.

You won't need to stream from the laptop...the box will connect through your wireless network.

We like to stream video and use a Roku because it avoids the necessity of running cables from the laptop to the TV and it also avoids tying up the computer when we are watching a video.

Our experience is that the data usage is significantly less than the commonly cited 2GB/hour. When we need to limit bandwidth we set our Netflix account to a lower quality video (which is still quite watchable) and we find that our usage is ~1Gb/2 hours (roughly one movie). If you use a streaming service, such as DirecTV Cinema, that insists on sending signals as 1080p your usage will be significantly higher, but it needn't be.

Streaming is easy on any 4G connection and can be acceptable on 3G if the connection speed is faster than ~1Mbps.
Sandie & Joel

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
And still another way . . .

Buy a $99 AppleTV & connect it to your TV. You'll also need a WiFi hotspot in your RV that your AppleTV and PC can connect to. Finally, you'll need to download iTunes to your PC.

Now you can use Apple's AirPlay function to stream movies from your PC to your TV wirelessly via iTunes -- without using any Internet bandwidth.

You can preload movies (mp4 format) on iTunes so you don't have to stream them over your WiFi. Using AirPlay, iTunes streams your video (and music if you want) to the AppleTV box using your WiFi hotspot -- note that this process uses NO Internet bandwidth. In fact, it will work even if your WiFi hotspot doesn't have an Internet connection.

Finally, if you do have an Internet connection, AppleTV allows you to stream video from the iTunes store, Netflix, HuluPlus, HBO GO, You Tube, Vimeo, Flickr, etc.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs