cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Receiving Direct tv on the road

we3
Explorer
Explorer
I have Direct tv at home and very happy with it. This winter we are heading south and would like to take it with us. There is a app where we can communicate with our HR24 at home and stream to our iPhone for viewing. The problem is this app is garbage, it has terrible reviews. Next is to take our receiver with us and purchase a HD dish/with tripod which is large and difficult to set up while moving several times a week. Could purchase roof mount with auto alignment however I have heard many stories of trees blocking signal while parked. Purchase SD dish/with tripod which is smaller and easier to align with acceptable viewing however can not be used with a HR24. I possibly could purchase a SD receiver however I have grown accustom to recording shows when I am elsewhere and don't want to change. Also I am not interested in changing Sat companies. Also streaming off WIFI in campgrounds is impossible/unacceptable.
I know there is a wealth of info out there so would appreciate any help.
18 REPLIES 18

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are using a King Flex with the DirecTV service you are not watching HD. Only the DirecTV SD programming is available when using a dome style antenna.
That's why most folks using DTV in their RV want an open face antenna so they can receive the HD channels.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Our older RV did not have HDMI TVs so I used 2 older receivers and an 18" dish on a tripod to get TV service. Worked great once I learnt how to set it up. It would take me about 20 min. including logging in to Direct TV to get the coordinates. Was a pain in the butt when we stayed in an RV park for just one night. So, I ended up getting a King Flex VQ2100 from Amazon it worked great.

With our new RV we now have 2 HDMI TVs. I ended up getting the appropriate receivers, one HR24 and one H24. Was a real pain in the butt trying to figure out how to program the King Flex, but now I know how and it works really great. We have HD TV all the time now. Wife is happy so you know who else is happy.

Get yourself a King Flex and forget about all the issues with portable dishes and tripods.

With the King Flex you determine where South is in a clear area, point the handle to the North, hook up your cables an "voila" you got TV. No fuss no muss. The King Flex searches for the satellites automatically and locks in to them.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
moisheh wrote:
No matter what restrictions are in place is it really polite to hog all the bandwidth? What happened to common decency? How many CG's can support streaming without killing the WiFi for everyone else? It is rude and ignorant. But in most cases this discussion is moot as with as little as 10 users streaming would be beyond the available bandwidth.

Moisheh

You can restate this misinformation as often as you like in hope of shaming folks but some campground are capable of handling this kind of service and have no issues with those choosing to use there services. Not all are free but they are offered. Many are not but should have their own limitations in place to prevent that kind of use and some campgrounds offer no wifi at all. It's just a matter of knowing what you can and can't do but it is neither rude nor ignorant to use services offered by the campground.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
That is why I said GET YOURSELF A HOTSPOT
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I have a HR24 that I use in my son's room and teke it on the road using a single LNB 18" round SD dish.

I'm looking at getting an 18 x 22 dish with a 3 LNB for HD.

I takes me exactly like Ivylog said, about 10-15 minutes minutes or SD. Plumb the mast with the dish on it, set the azimuth (0-360 degrees) and look at your box.

THe reason it takes so long is because I always forget to set the box to a different dish and no swm (Multiswitch).

Once I do that, I generally get the signal for the satellite in about 5 minutes.

I do carry about 125' of RG6 Coax with me just in case of a tree.

Last fall (thanksgiving) I had to set the dish about 75' on teh side of the road so we could watch the games. It did take me about 10 minutes to set it up.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what restrictions are in place is it really polite to hog all the bandwidth? What happened to common decency? How many CG's can support streaming without killing the WiFi for everyone else? It is rude and ignorant. But in most cases this discussion is moot as with as little as 10 users streaming would be beyond the available bandwidth.

Moisheh

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If allowed by the RV park then it would be neither of those descriptions. If the campground has restrictions in place then you would not be able to stream anyway. If the CG is so poorly run as to not know what they have or how to control it, who's to say what you should or should not do? What if the park advertises free wi-fi? Does that mean I can stream or I am only allowed to read my e-mail? Without clarification, there's no way to know.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Streaming in any CG via WiFi should be a hanging offence. Rude and ignorant.

Moisheh

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
we3 wrote:
I have Direct tv at home and very happy with it. This winter we are heading south and would like to take it with us. There is a app where we can communicate with our HR24 at home and stream to our iPhone for viewing. The problem is this app is garbage, it has terrible reviews. Next is to take our receiver with us and purchase a HD dish/with tripod which is large and difficult to set up while moving several times a week. Could purchase roof mount with auto alignment however I have heard many stories of trees blocking signal while parked. Purchase SD dish/with tripod which is smaller and easier to align with acceptable viewing however can not be used with a HR24. I possibly could purchase a SD receiver however I have grown accustom to recording shows when I am elsewhere and don't want to change. Also I am not interested in changing Sat companies. Also streaming off WIFI in campgrounds is impossible/unacceptable.
I know there is a wealth of info out there so would appreciate any help.

The 18" round dish WILL work with your HR24 receiver. You just need to reset the "Satellite Setup" or "Repeat Satellite Setup" routine to 18" round antenna and switch type to Multiswitch and not SWM. If that will work for you for the trip down then you have everything you need.
Even if the app worked well you would eats up so much cellular data you likely would not be happy with that option either. Many campgrounds that have wifi have realized that they must block or limit streaming as their systems are simply not capable of handling that from so many devices.

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
I was in the same situation with my Boat. I wanted Direct TV afloat anywhere. I installed a "Trac Vision" dome that receives all channels all the time, even when traveling. I think Direct TV only charged me an additional $5.00 per month along with my home service. Just install and view anywhere or anytime, even while moving.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you are going south you do NOT need the big slimline dish to get HD. I have posted several times about using a 18x22 multi sat dish plus a SL3 lnb on a small tripod. Using a APP for finding where 99/101/103 are located makes setting up fairly easy. Plumb the mast of the tripod, set the tilt and elevation for your location and rotate slowly in the correct direction using the signal meter in your receiver. With practice less than 5 minutes if you do a good job of plumbing/leveling the mast of the tripod.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, the Genie is HR44-. Take the Genie, mini genie for each additional TV you want. Buy a decent ground based system on line for around 200 dollars and wire it up in the RV exactly like at home and your set to go. Usualy takes me about 15 minutes to get setup. Roof top dishes are expensive have horrible customer service. Just ask me how I know.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
we3 wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
You can log into your directv account and watch on your computer. Get yourself a hotspot for internet connection.

That is what this Direct tv app is suppose to do but very few people have success with it.

Do not know about the app. Using the WWW and logging into my account via my laptop always works
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind