cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Remotely viewing DirecTV dvr?

dedmiston
I thought I heard/saw an ad that said you could view your recorded programs remotely from your PC or mobile. I don't see any way to do this on the DirecTV website or app. Is this possible, or am I just imagining it?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
27 REPLIES 27

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
haydoracin wrote:
Haven't done it yet but I'm set up to do what you are trying to do. You have to have your DVR hooked to your computer and then download content from you DVR to your mobile device.

You have to download the DirecTV ap to you mobile device. Directions are not easily found on their website. I found it in the FAQ section. The link below might help you out.

https://support.directv.com/mobile/how-do-i-stream-live-and-recorded-shows-from-the-directv-app

You will also have to register your DVR after it is hooked to the computer.

I don't think you're doing it right. First of all he's talking about watching the content of the DVR remotely. You are talking about downloading it and taking it with you. On my Directv you cannot watch the content of the DVR remotely, only if you're hooked to the same network. But you can download content to a mobile device and take it with you, but it's a time consuming process. You do not have to be hooked to any computer to do it, just be on your home network.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't take the box with me. Mine are all networked together and they won't function if any piece of the Borg collective is missing. Step one when it fires up is to check the satellite connection and call home to mommy, and then it checks for the master box. No traveling for our Borgs.

I have never heard of any DTV system with this problem. Assuming you have a Genie as your master you just have to bring along the Genie. Even the Genie 2 should work without issue if you have room for it in the coach. Let me know, I would be interested to hear what you have. I travel with my Genie HR54 at all times.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
dedmiston wrote:
I thought I heard/saw an ad that said you could view your recorded programs remotely from your PC or mobile. I don't see any way to do this on the DirecTV website or app. Is this possible, or am I just imagining it?

Yes you can. I do it frequently. You need the DirecTV app installed on your device and then connect to your DVR on your home network (i.e. DVR and app on the same network). Using the app, look at the list of shows stored on the DVR and "download" them to your device. Now you can go anywhere (and not be connected to WiFi or your DVR) and watch the downloaded recordings.

This takes some pre-planning (although there are some auto-download settings to make it transparent) to work, but work it does.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Aridon wrote:
OP, you can get a slingbox.

AT&T provides all-you-can-eat data for streaming DirecTV content.

ATT and DTV are now one in the same. If you have ATT you can watch your DVR or live TV through your DTV on any mobil device you have. I went to the ATT store and they showed me how to set up.

The best part is you do not get charged ANY data fees so even if you are cheap like me and have a very low data allowance it doesnt matter, you can watch to your heart's content.

^^^ This is of course if you are an ATT wireless customer.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't done it yet but I'm set up to do what you are trying to do. You have to have your DVR hooked to your computer and then download content from you DVR to your mobile device.

You have to download the DirecTV ap to you mobile device. Directions are not easily found on their website. I found it in the FAQ section. The link below might help you out.

https://support.directv.com/mobile/how-do-i-stream-live-and-recorded-shows-from-the-directv-app

You will also have to register your DVR after it is hooked to the computer.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

dedmiston
MrWizard wrote:
yeah they do at home in the brick house wired with their digital line

what data are you using on the road

Mobile ?, got an unlimted mobile data plan ?

might want to take that direcTV dvr box with you in the RV

I can't take the box with me. Mine are all networked together and they won't function if any piece of the Borg collective is missing. Step one when it fires up is to check the satellite connection and call home to mommy, and then it checks for the master box. No traveling for our Borgs.

I'll live without the DVR content. We're spoiled enough as it is. Our OTA antennas are pretty good. Plus I can tether my laptop to my phone to connect to DirecTV for live programming, and then run HDMI out to the TV. This will get us the Super Bowl if we can't pull in the OTA channel.

One quirk is that DirecTV doesn't like you to view some PPV content on mobile or laptop. This last year our kids wanted to see UFC fights a couple of times. I had to buy them and stream them directly from UFC instead of from DirecTV. It was still cheaper and more comfortable than paying the cover charge & minimums to take the whole fam-damily to a bar to watch it.

First world problems.

Thanks for the input folks. Have a good evening.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
No you cannot. You can watch live TV using your directv subscription (so every channel your directv gets) but you can't watch recorded programs unless you are logged into the same wireless netword as your directv receiver is on. So in or near your house you can, but not over a cell network or a network other than your home.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

MrWizard
yeah they do at home in the brick house wired with their digital line

what data are you using on the road

Mobile ?, got an unlimted mobile data plan ?

might want to take that direcTV dvr box with you in the RV
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dedmiston
Aridon wrote:

AT&T provides all-you-can-eat data for streaming DirecTV content.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
On demand library are often incomplete and they remove shows to make way for paid downloads on digital sites. Nothing like a DVR.

2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
NO IDEA for Direct/AT&T

Years back when I was a Dish customer, I had the ability you describe. Dish partnered with Sling and you could watch your home DVR (kinda pointless) and also Live tv (much more useful)

I say watching the DVR is pointless, because the subscription already has access to Dish On Demand (their online streaming library,) so most any show would be there already.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
I have using the direct TV app. On second thought, I watched TV on the app, don't recall if I watched programs I recorded, but I think the ability was there.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try This Link

I donโ€™t have Direct TV but found the above, so I have no clue if it works.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT