cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

replacing VHS with Blu-Ray

twyand
Explorer
Explorer
I have an LA West conversion van that has a VHS player that no longer works and an old school TV. Both seem to work on 12 volts instead of 110 household current. I want to replace them both with a basic blu-ray player and a flat screen TV on a swivel mount.

Do I need a special TV and blu-ray for 12 volt auto power or can I get an inverter and install 110 volt home TV and player?
twyand
2001 Ford/LA West conversion van
7 REPLIES 7

atperci
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if you have already made your purchase, but I recently upgraded the piece of junk Jensen DVD Stereo in the our motorhome with a Sony BDP-S1500 Blu-ray player. It comes with a wall wart that supplies 12v to the back of the player. So I cut off the wall wart and hardwired it into the coach.

The model is a couple of years old, but was only $25 as an open-box, looks-good-as-new condition unit from flea-bay. So far it works great. The kids haven't used it while I'm driving, so I'm hoping it doesn't skip when we hit bumps. But if you want to keep everything 12v this may be the way to go. There was another Sony model that was 12v but I don't remember the number.

twyand
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome. Thanks everyone!
twyand
2001 Ford/LA West conversion van

MrWizard
true
i had dvd only, until last week
but sometimes when i go to redbox, the DVD is already rented and only the blu-ray version is available
so after years of putting it off, i finally bought an LG blu-ray player
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you need the blueray for another purpose and the screen size on your new flat screen is a sufficient size a conventional DVD may suffice. Ours is a 22" HD TV DVD combo that works well.

MrWizard
My TV, Blu-ray and laptop , media player etc..
All are powered by inverter
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Simple. Install an inverter and run with 120V. I'd suggest a sine inverter in order to provide a good power source for your electronics.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Get inverter and use120volt.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141