cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sirius Radio for RVs Reception

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
All . . . . I am thinking of buying equipment for the SiriusXM system. What reception do you get with Sirius?? Do you have to have a truckers antenna to get good signals??
I am having mixed emotions about Sirius . . . . costs 425 dollars for equipment for my truck. I am not sure it is worth it.
Thanks . . . . . ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."
37 REPLIES 37

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
I've had sirius on both my vehicles for several years, works pretty well, but doesn't like overhanging trees and mountains. When I had them replace the deck on my mh, the new deck had input for sirius. Car toys installed the unit, but wanted to put the antenna on the front fender. Had them install it on the roof. Used that roofing tape to secure the antenna wire.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our toad has a factory XM equipped radio, and we use a low cost head end only that plugs into the auxiliary jack on our motorhome radio with the "hockey puck" antenna mounted above the overhead TV cabinet. We can also move the head end to our second car that stays at our cottage when desired. In that car, it connects to the factory radio using an FM radio signal and uses a small magnetic "puck" antenna on the roof. We pay $10/month per receiver, and our total equipment investment was less than $100.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ken burke wrote:
2oldman wrote:
BobKrogstie wrote:
The last year I had it the renewal was somewhere in the $300 range, I called, they stood firm, I cancelled.
You do the same thing with your TV, or your phone service?

my truck radio is not equipped with a satellite signal.. So I have to put in a new radio and tunner, and wires anntenas, installation, etc.

no you don't. did you see my and bumpy's post? get an inexpensive receiver (ours was ~$30) that will connect to your existing AM/FM truck radio along with a magnetic 'hockey puck' antenna and a pay-as-you-go subscription (ours is ~$10 p/m).
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I just renewed two accounts today (one for the truck & one in the trailer) $66.72 total for 6 months for both. It is a pain to renew (and argue) every 6 months, but they want quite a bit more for a full year. I suspect they hope you will get tired of renewing & let it slip into the auto renewal at the full price.

By the way, I have This XM antenna on the trailer, and is works much better under heavy cover than the TRAM marine antenna or the standard magnetic puck sent with the receivers.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
ken burke wrote:
2oldman wrote:
BobKrogstie wrote:
The last year I had it the renewal was somewhere in the $300 range, I called, they stood firm, I cancelled.

my truck radio is not equipped with a satellite signal.. So I have to put in a new radio and tunner, and wires anntenas, installation, etc.

does your radio have an aux input?? if so, just get the separate receiver, set the aerial on the dash, and get the ala carte program.
bumpy

X2!
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ken burke wrote:
All . . . . I am thinking of buying equipment for the SiriusXM system. What reception do you get with Sirius?? Do you have to have a truckers antenna to get good signals??
I am having mixed emotions about Sirius . . . . costs 425 dollars for equipment for my truck. I am not sure it is worth it.
Thanks . . . . . ken

my first reaction to your post is you can get a Sirius/XM receiver for a heckuva lot less that $425. we now have built-in S/XM receivers in our toad and MH (the toad is on an annual plan but the MH is on a pay-as-you-go plan). but prior to our current MH our previous MH did not have a S/XM receiver so I added one. I think I paid something like $30 for it plus a magnetic antenna for another $10. I had to "play" the S/XM receiver through my in-dash AM/FM radio but there were three options:

1-by connecting the rcvr to the dash radio's AUX input on the front panel

2-by connecting the rcvr to the dash radio's AUX input on the rear panel

3-by using the rcvrs built-in demodulator and tuning to one of a number of available FM frequencies on the dash radio. I put the magnetic antenna in an overhead compartment above and in front of the driver's seat. other than in the mountains when the antenna was shadowed by a mountain we had excellent reception.

since our new MH has a built-in S/XM rcvr I moved this rcvr to my other jeep. photos are below.

I would suggest you do some additional shopping before choosing. we like the S/XM product very much.

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

dangerbird
Explorer
Explorer
How about the SiriusXM app on your phone, using Bluetooth or aux cable to play through your radio. I use this in my Dakota after I upgraded to an Alpine Bluetooth Radio.

Carl

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ken burke wrote:
2oldman wrote:
BobKrogstie wrote:

does your radio have an aux input?? if so, just get the separate receiver, set the aerial on the dash, and get the ala carte program.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Current subscription for both vehicles is $27 a month for 2 vehicles ($324 a year for 2 vehicles).
Mine runs about $360 for 2 receivers and phone app.

I own SIRI stock so I never complain about the price!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
I installed this on the roof. Get signal even through the metal roof on my carport.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
BobKrogstie wrote:

Yep, sure did! With both phone and DirectTV AND DishTV when the price skyrocketed! I'm now with AT&T and over-the-air television!

But I have SeriusXM in both vehicles. Current subscription for both vehicles is $27 a month for 2 vehicles ($324 a year for 2 vehicles).

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if it's available any longer, but I have the XTR3CK receiver. Portable and small, it receives the sat signal, then re-transmits it over an few pre-set FM frequencies (currently, I have it set on 89.1). Signal is just strong enough to receive the FM signal in our RV, with the pickup disconnected and sitting in front. (probably 30-40' between receiver and stereo in RV. I got in on $395 for life 10-12 years ago, and have been very happy.

Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
BobKrogstie wrote:

2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Go to best buy. They have portable systems for around a hundred dollars. With one of these you can move it from truck to trailer, to house, to other cars. No reason buying a big buck built in one.

and can buy one to use the ala carte program.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I got the ala carte program after having to argue the cost every year for renewal. got a receiver with car and home docking stations, way under 425$. and can switch it between vehicles and house. pay something line $8 a month. sirius/xm had to offer the alacarte program as part of merger approval.
you need a special receiver, I "think" mine is a starmate 8.
bumpy