cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sirius Radio for RVs Reception

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
All . . . . I am thinking of buying equipment for the SiriusXM system. What reception do you get with Sirius?? Do you have to have a truckers antenna to get good signals??
I am having mixed emotions about Sirius . . . . costs 425 dollars for equipment for my truck. I am not sure it is worth it.
Thanks . . . . . ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."
37 REPLIES 37

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
rk911 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
if you live in a large city with 30 zillion fm stations it would be difficult to find a clear "channel" to use one of those transmitters.
bumpy

we live in metro Chicago and spend between 1-3 months in Phoenix each spring. I've had no problem finding a clear FM frequency for my SXM receiver in either area.

I had an old FM transmitter jobby and around Baltimore/Washington D.C. there was just too much outside interference to get a good signal. I would be reluctant to spend a lot of money on this type of a solution. but I don't think the OP wants an easy/quick/cheap solution. I think he wants an excuse to upgrade his radio from the AM only cheap charley that came in the edsel.
bumpy

that may very well be the case but in my case I paid <$30 for the receiver and $10 for the antenna. not a large investment and it does the job. totally agree that the AUX port connection is best by a long shot but my point was if he doesn't have one he can still connect another way. but if he's looking for an excuse...well, I've been there as well. ๐Ÿ™‚
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
if you live in a large city with 30 zillion fm stations it would be difficult to find a clear "channel" to use one of those transmitters.
bumpy

we live in metro Chicago and spend between 1-3 months in Phoenix each spring. I've had no problem finding a clear FM frequency for my SXM receiver in either area.

I had an old FM transmitter jobby and around Baltimore/Washington D.C. there was just too much outside interference to get a good signal. I would be reluctant to spend a lot of money on this type of a solution. but I don't think the OP wants an easy/quick/cheap solution. I think he wants an excuse to upgrade his radio from the AM only cheap charley that came in the edsel.
bumpy

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
ken burke wrote:
Thanks all for you input on the Sirius radio. I don't understand a lot of what you say, but my radio is not set up for anything. No channels. That is why I have to go with a new radio and tuner.
ken

you misunderstood. your current radio will work if it has an "AUX" input, for a 1/8 inch???? plug. if you bought any upgraded radio in the last 6 years it should have one. does your radio have an aux input??? that is the first requirement, nothing needs to be "set up" for channels on it. post a picture of the face of your radio.
bumpy

listen to what bumpy, myself and others have been trying to tell you. your current in-dash AM/FM radio does not need to be replaced. many Sirius/XM (SXM) radios can be connected to your existing AM/FM dash radio in a number of ways. through an AUX port on the front or rear of your in-dash radio or by using the FM demodulator built in to the SXM receiver. you would tune both your in-dash radio and the SXM receiver to a clear/unused FM frequency.

are you old enough to remember FM radio adapters? these were little units that connected to your in-dash AM radio by coaxial cable. to make them work you tuned your in-dash AM radio to a particular frequency that the FM adapter was transmitting on and then used the FM adapter to tune to FM frequencies. if your current in-dash radio does not have an AUX input on the front or rear that's how you can still use a SXM receiver.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
he keeps saying he needs to replace the truck radio if it does not have a auxiliary input and it can tune in a fm radio station he cn get a sirius radio made for car use that has the fm transmitter in it. use his current radio to tune into the fm radio station created by the sirius radio. if he decides to replace the truck radio someday get one with a auxiliary input and plug it in that way.
sar tracker wrote:
Not sure if it's available any longer, but I have the XTR3CK receiver. Portable and small, it receives the sat signal, then re-transmits it over an few pre-set FM frequencies (currently, I have it set on 89.1). Signal is just strong enough to receive the FM signal in our RV, with the pickup disconnected and sitting in front. (probably 30-40' between receiver and stereo in RV.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
SCClockDr wrote:
ken burke wrote:
All . . . . I am thinking of buying equipment for the SiriusXM system. What reception do you get with Sirius??doesn't address reception, If you have large buildings, forests, etc. in the way, you will lose reception at times
This is the best arrangement we've had to date.

Do you have to have a truckers antenna to get good signals?the answer to this question is NO?
Browning antenna

I am having mixed emotions about Sirius . . . . costs 425 dollars for equipment for my truck. I am not sure it is worth it.I believe it has been answered, NO you do NOT have to spend $425
Not addressed

Thanks . . . . . ken

Once committed, finding x, y, and/or z won't work for me is a bummer in my book.

I accept your reasoning is a bit different than mine at times and it is just as valid. It is often even better.

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
ken burke wrote:
All . . . . I am thinking of buying equipment for the SiriusXM system. What reception do you get with Sirius??
This is the best arrangement we've had to date.
Do you have to have a truckers antenna to get good signals??
Browning antenna

I am having mixed emotions about Sirius . . . . costs 425 dollars for equipment for my truck. I am not sure it is worth it.
Not addressed

Thanks . . . . . ken

Once committed, finding x, y, and/or z won't work for me is a bummer in my book.

I accept your reasoning is a bit different than mine at times and it is just as valid. It is often even better.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
SCClockDr wrote:
We use XM vs Sirius. There is an after market radio and control box in the truck with its original magnetic puck. It has issues traveling ENE TO N when north of 38ยฐ or so especially in the northeast USA. I suspect our Titanium nose cap blocks it some.
In our Titanium we have a model XDPIV2 (upgrade from a Roady2) that is FM coupled to our Samsung home theater system. The newer XM units sport weaker FM transmitters than the earlier Roady units. A dedicated rabbit ears in the rear cap fixed that issue. It is supported by a Browning BR-TRUCKER Satellite Radio Trucker Mirror-Mount Antenna with Large Built-In Ground Plane mounted on an 8' painters pole. This is the best arrangement we've had to date.

I'm thinking of installing a Browning on the truck for our Alaska trip next summer so as to clear the Titanium. Aesthetics is holding up that idea with DW (mast sticking up from the truck). I may just get the Browning and wait for the no signal complaints from DW.

interesting information, but the OP is puzzled by steps A & B. you are discussing steps x,y,&z
bumpy

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
We use XM vs Sirius. There is an after market radio and control box in the truck with its original magnetic puck. It has issues traveling ENE TO N when north of 38ยฐ or so especially in the northeast USA. I suspect our Titanium nose cap blocks it some.
In our Titanium we have a model XDPIV2 (upgrade from a Roady2) that is FM coupled to our Samsung home theater system. The newer XM units sport weaker FM transmitters than the earlier Roady units. A dedicated rabbit ears in the rear cap fixed that issue. It is supported by a Browning BR-TRUCKER Satellite Radio Trucker Mirror-Mount Antenna with Large Built-In Ground Plane mounted on an 8' painters pole. This is the best arrangement we've had to date.

I'm thinking of installing a Browning on the truck for our Alaska trip next summer so as to clear the Titanium. Aesthetics is holding up that idea with DW (mast sticking up from the truck). I may just get the Browning and wait for the no signal complaints from DW.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ken burke wrote:
Thanks all for you input on the Sirius radio. I don't understand a lot of what you say, but my radio is not set up for anything. No channels. That is why I have to go with a new radio and tuner.
ken

you misunderstood. your current radio will work if it has an "AUX" input, for a 1/8 inch???? plug. if you bought any upgraded radio in the last 6 years it should have one. does your radio have an aux input??? that is the first requirement, nothing needs to be "set up" for channels on it. post a picture of the face of your radio.
bumpy

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Our toad has a factory XM equipped radio, and we use a low cost head end only that plugs into the auxiliary jack on our motorhome radio with the "hockey puck" antenna mounted above the overhead TV cabinet. We can also move the head end to our second car that stays at our cottage when desired. In that car, it connects to the factory radio using an FM radio signal and uses a small magnetic "puck" antenna on the roof. We pay $10/month per receiver, and our total equipment investment was less than $100.

I would recommend that when you buy a receiver to plug into the aux input, that you plan ahead and get one that is compatible with the ala carte programming. after going thru the renewal hassles, etc. with the regular programming you will want to switch.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
I just renewed two accounts today (one for the truck & one in the trailer) $66.72 total for 6 months for both. It is a pain to renew (and argue) every 6 months, but they want quite a bit more for a full year. I suspect they hope you will get tired of renewing & let it slip into the auto renewal at the full price.
s.

that is why I went to the ala carte program, no muss, no fuss, and cheaper.
bumpy