cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stationary satellite for Dish network

frankiebIII
Explorer
Explorer
I had a king Dome relay. Unfortunately it was damaged beyond repair by a falling tree branch. I had a few small issues with it while owning it for the last year. Mostly it saying that something is blocking its view of the satellites despite the fact I was in a area with nothing blocking it and it was a clear day. Also, some mornings I would wake up and after it worked with no problem for 2 straight days or so it display a message again saying something is blocking its view. I did suspect that maybe my RV shop ripped me off and installed a used or refurbished model.

My question is is there a better satellite dish that I could get? Is this one of the better ones made? Obviously just getting a replacement of the same model would be easier as I already have the roof mount ready to go but I always want to get the most reliable and newest devices I can. My budget is up to $600, I don't need in motion and it must be able to get Dish network HD

Thank you
2005 Monaco Diplomat Quad Slide
Toad 2013 AWD Ford Explorer
Air force one Brake controller
Falcon All terrain tow bar
7 REPLIES 7

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Winegard Pathway X2 and love it. It's automatic and it's portable. And it gets Dish HD. Eastern arc OR western arc satellites. And it's PORTABLE ! 18/19 inch dish, thank you very much ! Does fine during most rainstorms. Only goes out during really extreme thunderstorms.

I think you can usually find them on Amazon or Walmart on-line for about $450 including a receiver and one remote. Or maybe a sale at CW. Make sure to get the 'bundle'.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone wants to spend Frankiebill's money despite his budget. Your dome can receive Dish HD and as long as you only need one receiver and no DVR's it will serve you very well. If you plan to spend a lot of time in your RV then I highly recommend that you save your pennies (or up your budget) and move to the Trav'ler but only you can know just important a TV picture (and upgraded service) would be.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the Travell'er dish The main thing is that it is a full sized dish so unlike the smaller domes/portable ones with their small 12" dish a light/moderate rain will not wash out the signal, It'll take a heavy down pour to wash out the signal, and you will get a lot stronger signal sometimes allowing you to receive a usable signal even if there's a few branches in you way.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, Dish 101....
Domes can see one satellite at a time, And since Dish changed some programming not all domes will lock on their birds any more.

DISH 1000.x type antennas however can see all three DISH satellites at the same time, and thus you get full programming and if you have multiple receivers, or a dual channel DVR. you will have JOY (Domes only work with a single receiver)

You can get 'em in both Portable (Tripod) and roof mounted (Automatic) make sure the controller knows the new dish protocol.

If you want a PORTABLE auto-dome go with Winegard Pathfinder X2 (the bigger the antenna the better the antenna) as it not only does western arc, but eastern as well if you know how to program it.

Also portable.. Where I am (nearest tree over 200 yards) they are added work over a roof mount.. Where I want to be righ now (under the evil signal eating tree) they work very well cause they can be set up some distance from the RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We have no regrets buying the Winegard traveler's Satellite Dish. We did have the Dome before and always taking it in for repairs.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are OK with using a dome then the Winegard Carryout will get you one of the best dome style antennas available. It's around $600.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone I have talked with swears by the winegard traveler for dish. Not anywhere near $600. On sale now at Camping World for $1297. Another $300+ for installation. But its supposed to be a one button operation and you can add up to 4 receivers for 4 TV's.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992