cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Streaming TV in an RV using a cellular data plan

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
Background- we are not actually going to watch much TV when camping, just want to have the option if the weather is bad for example. We seldom camp anywhere with TV hookups. Could do satellite but I'm leaning no on that, probably just wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. I haven't had much luck with over the air, most likely due to the fairly remote and mountainous areas we usually camp.

So far we've mostly just watched DVDs, but that's a slowly dying technology. I haven't purchased a DVD in a long time. Blockbuster is basically gone. Redbox is usually the best option, but even that can sometimes be fairly distant depending where we are.

What I'd like to be able to do is stream Netflix or Hulu. We have a 10GB cellular data plan with plenty left over most months. But how to get it from the iPhone to the TV? I have Apple TV at home, but that requires a home network which is connected to our cable modem. I can create a wifi hot spot with my iPhone, but that doesn't use a router and Apple TV needs the router to work. I'm pretty sure that Roku works the same way. I've been looking at Amazon Fire TV Stick and it looks promising (they say you can use it in a hotel). Has anyone used it? Will it stream from a phone with LTE? Any other good options anyone can recommend? Thanks!
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9
46 REPLIES 46

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
RDMueller wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
We use VUDU and just download the movies to a phone or a tablet. HDMI cable to the TV and we have movies!

But I have a large collection.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

So you connect your phone or tablet directly to the TV with an HDMI cable? I'll have to look into that, didn't realize that option existed. Thanks!

Yep, all you need is an apple lightning to hdmi adaptor. They are pricy but much cheaper than data charges....just download movies or tv shows for either iTunes or Vudu on your iOS device and play them through the hdmi on your TV.

Here is a video demonstrating this.

Video link

I am pretty sure you can get the adaptor at Walmart or Best Buy.

As far as the content...I get a free digital copy of most movies from Vudu when I buy them at Walmart.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

If he has apple tv and a current apple product (iphone/ipad), he doesn't need a cable. He can airplay directly from the device to the apple tv which is connected to the tv.

Downloading movies on itunes and vudu is not free. At least nothing current. He would be better suited using a $7.99/month Netflix account.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
RDMueller wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
We use VUDU and just download the movies to a phone or a tablet. HDMI cable to the TV and we have movies!

Thanks!

Jeremiah

So you connect your phone or tablet directly to the TV with an HDMI cable? I'll have to look into that, didn't realize that option existed. Thanks!

Yep, all you need is an apple lightning to hdmi adaptor. They are pricy but much cheaper than data charges....just download movies or tv shows for either iTunes or Vudu on your iOS device and play them through the hdmi on your TV.

Here is a video demonstrating this.

Video link

I am pretty sure you can get the adaptor at Walmart or Best Buy.

As far as the content...I get a free digital copy of most movies from Vudu when I buy them at Walmart.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Your apple tv should be able to work via wifi from your cell phone by creating a hot spot. Or, if you have a current iphone, you can play netflix, hulu on your phone and just airplay it (no cable necessary) to your apple tv.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
We have purchased several TV series on DVD that we use during times we don't have TV coverage. These are usually older reruns that we can watch numerous times and still enjoy. The entire MASH series, the entire Stargate SG-1 series (for me not her), the entire JAG series (for her, not me), and several others. I but them when they are on sale, usually an Amazon deal of the day.

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
You probably could, but the iPad adaptor to play movies wouldn't work - you would have to find a different connection kit (or use an apple TV) to set things up. Since I have an iPad mini - it sits quite well into the cubby underneath the TV. I've got a 64gb iPad, so there's about 25 gb available for movie files. I sync what I want to watch to the iPad, and then plug the iPad in. The laptop might be too cumbersome to manipulate under / near the TV. I'm sure there's a number of ways it could be done. An apple tv is only $69 at best buy, and you could bluetooth stream movies over to it. I'm actually thinking about trying that option as well.

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
dvitale300 wrote:
We use a connecter cable from the iPad to the flatscreen via a rocketfish adapter. I bring my laptop and 2g portable drive along so I can load any movies or tv shows I want to the iPad for playing. Works quite well. Personally, I wouldn't do the streaming thing via cellular because it eats up data like crazy.

This sounds promising. One question, why transfer the movie or show to the iPad? If it's on your laptop, couldn't you get an adapter to go directly from the laptop to the TV?
Rob and Julie

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
We use a connecter cable from the iPad to the flatscreen via a rocketfish adapter. I bring my laptop and 2g portable drive along so I can load any movies or tv shows I want to the iPad for playing. Works quite well. Personally, I wouldn't do the streaming thing via cellular because it eats up data like crazy.

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
Apple TV is wireless.

If you've got a iPhone iPad or iPod touch you can stream content of these to your apple TV also.

I do this all the time at home. I thought it required the home network though, ie the Apple TV is connected to the network, as is the iPhone or iPad. Without the network (router) in place, I don't see how this would work. I will give it a try though.
Rob and Julie

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
dan-nickie wrote:
It will burn through your data in a short while.

That's going to be your main problem and will probably make it something you will not want to do.

We use a 4G Verizon Jetpack as a WiFi hotspot in the motorhome, but dare not stream movies through it. Our 10G data limit ($90 per 10G) could be gone in just a very few hours of streaming when camping. 10G is primarily only good for surfing the WEB for bits of information here and there and keeping in touch via Email with maybe some attached photos.

We have 120G per month allowed on our home Internet system and we have to be careful, or we can easily overshoot this if we watch too many movies.

IMHO, cellular data is still way too expensive in the U.S. for serious mobile use as a source of entertainment in an RV.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
The other thing I'm thinking is to put some content on my laptop before leaving. That would solve the problem of burning thru the data plan and for areas with no LTE coverage. But how to get movies/shows from the laptop to the TV? Would Roku work in that situation?
Rob and Julie

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Apple TV is wireless.

If you've got a iPhone iPad or iPod touch you can stream content of these to your apple TV also.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
dan-nickie wrote:
Get a Roku.
Use your phone as a wireless hotspot.
No 'router' needed.
This is what I do.

It will burn through your data in a short while.

ETA: I would think you could do this with your apple tv and phone hotspot also without a router.
Does apple tv have wireless built in?
Try it at home and see.

It does have wireless built in, but I thought it needed a wifi router connected via Ethernet to a modem. I'll give that a try though. Regarding burning thru the data, that's definitely a concern, I'm just thinking we won't use it enough to be a problem. I'm guessing maybe 1GB/hour. Does that sound about right?
Rob and Julie

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Like previously advised. Turn on your Iphone hotspot and connect your Roku to it. Streaming HD movies uses about 1G per hour. You didn't say who your cellular provider was, but I have 15G (upped to 30G for free) from AT&T. No problem with streaming Netflix via Roku anywhere I've been....mainly in Texas.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Rob and Julie

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~