cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

temporary broadband and cell phone service in the west

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
we will probably be going up and down the west coast this winter.
all 3 states.
years ago we had gophone service from cingular- now ATT.
and i thingy from virgin that gave us internet.
things change so fast.... are these still good options?

also the thing that plugs into the laptop for internet... can the laptop connect to the printer wirelessly like it does at home via a modem?
of course if it can that might be expensive!
thanks all
12 REPLIES 12

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
That Alaska Communications looked interesting. Perhaps it will need some more investigation.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
wcjeep wrote:
T-Mobile barely has coverage along the interstate with a Cell phone booster. Verizon does not require a booster along the interstate.

thanks but do i need to buy a phone or do they use the phone type where i just change the chip?
not an i-phone just a simple one!

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
T-Mobile barely has coverage along the interstate with a Cell phone booster. Verizon does not require a booster along the interstate.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.alaskacommunications.com/Personal/Wireless/Shop-No-Annual-Contract-Plans.aspx
looking into it
thanks

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
This will sound strange, but have you looked at what Alaska Communications has to offer? A friend of mine, in Alaska, uses them and he tells me he has no problem with service in Alaska, Canada and all over the Lower 48. I checked their plans and prices and they seem to be a better deal than what you can find in the Lower 48! Plus they have no-contract plans and options for bringing your own equipment. Not sure if they'll set up an account for anyone without an Alaska address, but it's worth trying.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
just remembered.
don't want to buy another phone... is ATT the only ones who have the chip i put in my phone? gsm?
thanks

Delphi
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you, I'd stick with Verizon because it has the best coverage. It will be more expensive than other carriers, but it's worth the expanded coverage when you're traveling outside major metro areas.

You can get prepaid (no contract) phones and mobile Internet hotspots through Verizon.

Have fun!
1999 21-ft Komfort trailer "The Slow Camel"
2017 Ford F-150 pickup truck

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
please note
as furriners we can only get temporary plans

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Verizon as the most coverage but I feel the T MOBILE has a better price for a non contract plan that I can change the amount of high speed data on at will.
All their plans are unlimited but when you hit you plan limit you go down to about 2G speed which is adequate for checking emails etc
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I use ATT for 2 phones and 1 internet module. 10GB shared about $160 mo. I have found on the road, although I like ATT, they have some limited areas. I also have a Verizon Jetpack internet module. 5GB for $50 mo. Seems to work for us no matter where we are.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I use Select Cellular for cell phone service (year round) and a Verizon "jetpack" for wireless for the 3 months that I am in the RV.
With Verizon, I pay as I go without any activation fees. It runs $90/month for 10MB. (Other plans are available).

Fulltimers use..

http://millenicom.com/plans/

Millenicom has good coverage and service but there is an activation fee which doesn't work for my needs.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Your phone may be able to act as a hotspot for all your devices
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch