cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temporary Cell Service

BigDaddy1951
Explorer
Explorer
I work in a position where I need to be available by phone, text, or email all the time. My employer provides an iPhone on AT&T’s First Net. Most places we camp are solid and sometimes I do use an amplifier. My problem is one place we camp is in a mountain valley and has a Verizon tower, nothing else, even amplified.

For about one week a year, I need access to Verizon for cell, text, and limited data.
I have two questions.

1. Is there a reasonable way to get a “burner” phone that will hotspot or mifi cheaply without a contract?

2. Can I connect my current phone to wifi calling and if so will texts come through also?

Thanks in advance. I’m somewhat text savvy, but far from an expert.
18 REPLIES 18

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Get a cheap phone either from Verizon, or straight talk, ensure that its a cdma phone if you go straight talk because they work with either vz or att depending what address you give them
straighttalk plans
Verizon prepaid plans
As to the phones, any android that is a current build should work, the Moto e I have had, and found it to be a decent reliable phone.

CDMA is an old 2G-3G service, with 4G LTE there is no longer CDMA vs GSM, and now everything is going to 4G VoLTE service with ATT starting the 3G shutdown as of end of FEB 2022.

SEE HERE FOR CDMA VS GSM DETAILS

Tracphone, Straight talk are both Verizon only, at one point Trac did sell specific phones for ATT towers, they no longer do that.

As far as the OPs questions, Trac and Straight talk and a few other Verizon resellers that offer cheap phones with no contract will be your cheapest way but there may be some catches.. Trac when I had them a few yrs ago locked their phones so you could not tether or use it as a hotspot.. You will need to readup on their rules..

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clearly a business expense if not paid for by your employer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Get a cheap phone either from Verizon, or straight talk, ensure that its a cdma phone if you go straight talk because they work with either vz or att depending what address you give them
straighttalk plans
Verizon prepaid plans
As to the phones, any android that is a current build should work, the Moto e I have had, and found it to be a decent reliable phone.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Try Visible, which uses Verizon towers. No contract. $40/mo but easy to get it down to $25/mo.
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram