cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about changing from DirecTV to Dish

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
Got an email from DirecTV telling me no more having a receiver in house and then in RV with Distant Network Service.
So wonder how if you have Dish make it work in an RV and if you like it. I have had DirecTV for 20 years.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com
38 REPLIES 38

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
Switched to Directv this summer...worst mistake ever! The customer service is horrible. Can't wait until my contract is over so I can switch back to Dish.
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
$7 is the add on.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
Dropped Direct last year, got DISH. We have a receiver in our RV and it costs us $7/month. We use it from May until November, then turn if off. It has worked fine for us for last year and we just turned it on last week (we started camping a little earlier than normal).

Is this a stand alone account, or an add-on to another account?

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Dropped Direct last year, got DISH. We have a receiver in our RV and it costs us $7/month. We use it from May until November, then turn if off. It has worked fine for us for last year and we just turned it on last week (we started camping a little earlier than normal).
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:
Never have a problem with DirecTv changing my locals back and forth. Heck they donโ€™t even know I have an RV. Just have them change the zip code to our winter home then back again to our summer home. It only takes minutes if you call the number for movers. Why would they care? Just donโ€™t expect to have local channels at both locations at the same time.

This! Just donโ€™t even say you have an RV. Summer home and winter home worked fine for us. They switched back and forth, no problem. However, we recently gave up Directtv altogether. Too costly, cable at home and Cable at our winter rv resort at no additional cost.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Dropped DIRECT in December after 23 years. Went down hill the minute AT&T purchased them. Customer service terrible,big rate increases every year, and they are slowly dropping satellites. I read a article that stated AT&T's vision was that all TV would be streaming within 5 years so satellites will not be needed. All standard definition will be gone mid year and everyone will be forced to HD. When I asked about upgrading the RV the answer was that they don't do installs on a RV. Could not get the equipment without a install that they won't do and I repeatedly stated that I don't need a install. They would not send equipment. 23 years of being loyal customer and setting up my own dish every time I have camped in the past didn't count. Very few people remember that back in 1995/96 when system first came out that they were all self installed with a kit. So far been really happy with COMCAST at home and just plain over the air antenna when camping. Will talk to DISH if I decide I need it when camping. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
was_butnotnow wrote:
rk911 wrote:
AFAIK DISH does not offer DNS but with a mobile/RV/outdoor account you can use the DISH app to change your service location and get the locals at that location. takes maybe 10-minutes for the change to take effect and another 10-min for the program guide to update.

if you have DISH at home i believe you can...

- take that rcvr in your RV with you,
- get a second rcvr for a few $ per month
- open a second RV account

if you do recordings at home while you're gone than the second option won't do since you can't have two simultaneous service locations. but check with DISH or Solid Signals...a very good authorized DISH vendor.

I pay $98 now for DTV with DNS They now want me to open a second account for the house and also one for the RV. Why would I want to spend more for a second account? Enough is enough.

you don't NEED two accounts with DISH unless you want a receiver/DVR at home to receive the local channels there AND have your RV receiver/DVR receive local channels wherever you are camping. neither service will permit two receivers on the same account but in different physical locations to receive local channels for those locations

alternatively, you can connect your OTA antenna to your DISH receiver. this connection will show whatever OTA channels your OTA antenna can receive on the DISH channel guide.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
We were DTV customers for over 12 years. When setting up the RV for TV I was going to go with the manual dish and get an additional receiver for the RV since I didn't want to dig into my entertainment center and haul my home DVR out everything we went camping.
DTV wanted me to sign another two year a agreement to setup another receiver. I though WTfudge. I said " See ya" to DTV and signed up with Dish.
That was over about 5 years ago or so. Been happy ever since. I have a X2 and a VIP211 with a portable hard drive to record, stop and rewind on plus a nice HD picture. I get basically the same programming as at home.
It's $7 a month and you can stop and start when ever for $0. I do all the startups with my Dish phone app. Dish is really RV friendly and never argues when I need some RV Dish assistance. Are they perfect? No but for RV'ing they have a pretty good setup.

Take me less than a minute to โ€œdigโ€ out my Genie and take all my recordings with me.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Timmac?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We were DTV customers for over 12 years. When setting up the RV for TV I was going to go with the manual dish and get an additional receiver for the RV since I didn't want to dig into my entertainment center and haul my home DVR out everything we went camping.
DTV wanted me to sign another two year a agreement to setup another receiver. I though WTfudge. I said " See ya" to DTV and signed up with Dish.
That was over about 5 years ago or so. Been happy ever since. I have a X2 and a VIP211 with a portable hard drive to record, stop and rewind on plus a nice HD picture. I get basically the same programming as at home.
It's $7 a month and you can stop and start when ever for $0. I do all the startups with my Dish phone app. Dish is really RV friendly and never argues when I need some RV Dish assistance. Are they perfect? No but for RV'ing they have a pretty good setup.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
Three years now, Dropped Directv, Dropped Dish, I save $450 a month. Stream thru Roku at home and listen to music while camping!

How does that work out west where 4G is limited?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chuck,

Thanks for the input. My understanding is DNS was established if you can't get locals (sat company locals) at your service address or you are mobile. Perhaps a grey area when the receiver changes from fixed vs mobile.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
The reason this has NOT changed is that you can not legally (based on FCC regs) have DNS service in a fixed location like your stick and brick. DTV is updating their information to only allow legal DNS service to mobile customers. They have been negligent in keeping this information current. Chuck

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also haven't had issues changing locals other than talking to a untrained person on occasion. Another thread suggests this process has become more difficult.

Got an email from DirecTV telling me no more having a receiver in house and then in RV with Distant Network Service.
My question is why this change?

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
deleted