cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TIVO Lifetime Subscription "Deal"

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a Tivo at home for 3 years and use our Winegard Traveler/Direct TV setup in the MH when away for 6 months in the winter. In previous years Tivo was willing (after some cajoling) to give me a partial credit for my unused months which helped a little. I just called Tivo to try for my credit again and a very savvy customer rep said he could do better than that. He gave me a "$500" Lifetime Subscription for $99. That means no more $14.99 a month subscription charge.
I have too much time, effort and treasure invested in my Direct TV setup in the MH (predates the Tivo) to try a Tivo switch. And doing the DTV thing at home is complicated. So if you are faced with a subscription charge situation like mine, ask for options. Just remember any "lifetime" subscription only applies to that Tivo box - if you buy a new Tivo the ""lifetime" disappears.

Hank
2005 Mandalay DP
2012 Honda CRV
13 REPLIES 13

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a list of some DVRs:

Tablo
https://www.tablotv.com/
Program guide requires subscription.
Can be used without program guide.
No HDMI out so content must be streamed to device.
No internal hard drive. Requires USB external drive.
==============
Channel Master DVR+
http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm
Program guide is free. Will acquire guide data from internet if connected, otherwise uses PSIP data from OTA signal.
16GB built-in storage which gives about 2 hours recording. External USB hard drive needed for longer recording.
==============
Magnavox MDR557H/F7
http://www.magnavox.com/product/product.php?id=151
Only one tuner.
TV program is down-converted to standard definition prior to saving to hard drive or DVD.
No program guide.
==============
Tivo
http://www.tivo.com/
All units require subscription for program guide.

Romio (for digital cable and antenna)
$199.99
4 digital tuners.
Guide subscriptions:
$14.99/month
$149.00/year
$499.99 lifetime

Roamio OTA (for antenna only)
$49.99
4 digital tuners.
Guide subscription:
$14.99/month.

As of May 29, 2015 $399.99 includes lifetime guide subscription.
https://www.tivo.com/roamioota2176
==============
ePVision PHD-VRX2
http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrx2main.htm

Dual tuners. Tuner-1 is digital and analog. Tuner-2 is digital only.
Can view ATSC, Clear QAM, and NTSC but only records digital ATSC and Clear QAM. Will not record analog.
Requires external USB drive.
==============

I own the following boxes:

Mediasonic HW180STB
http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1377202059
Single tuner.
Requires external USB drive.
Acquires program guide from PSIP data in OTA signal.
Sets clock to time data broadcast from station that it is tuned to. If the station is broadcasting incorrect time the recording will not start at the proper time.

iView 3500STB
http://www.iviewus.com/index.php/iview-3500stb.html
Same as above.

Both boxes are virtually identical. They can be purchased on Amazon for about $35 plus the cost of a hard drive. They do the job but it takes a while to figure out the best way to do things.

I also have a PC running Windows 7 Media Center with two dual tuner SiliconDust HDHomerun boxes. Needs an internet connection for program guide. This setup works very well for me.

http://www.silicondust.com/

Windows Media Center

Media Center was free with Windows 7 but costs extra for Windows 8.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Both of our TIVOs are older models and we use the special TIVO "N" wireless adapter to communicate with the "router".

Over the years, I have used many cellular internet access solutions . . . including a Cradlepoint MBR 1000, a DSL modem/router from the phone company, a Verizon MIFI, and most recently the iPad Air, which can be used as a hot spot.

I'm using them right now with the iPad as the router and we're connected to the Campground's Time Warner cable. Works perfectly.

The TIVO collects two weeks worth of programing in a few hours, so you don't have to leave them connected to an internet source very long.

Where else can you get DVRs with no monthly fee?

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Larryect wrote:
Pretty cool. It doesn't look like it has LAN connections though. So, your TIVO is on your wireless network within the rig?

How does it keep up with programming as you travel to different areas? Or, do you pretty much stay in one area for a period of time?

Not sure my older TIVO unit has wireless, I have it hooked directly to my home router.......

Mine has 4 LAN ports and I have the TiVo plugged into one of them.
My TiVo is 3years old and is not wireless but I could get a wireless adapter if I wanted.

I move around a lot and do a new startup each location. It has such a menu item.
Call me if you wish. 602-321-8141. Currently in Ohio.

Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
BACK WHEN THERE was cmpetition I went with Replay TV.. I did get lifetime on 2 of th 3 units but alas ReplayTV is no mor.. So thy activated all of thm as "Forever"

now the Rplays ar NTSC devics so thy do not rcord HDTV,but...They think my digital converters (ATSC) are satellit boxes hooked to A/V 1,, and they can thus select between OVER THE AIR which I am watching as I type.. and Cable,, automatically.. With Schdules Direct (Which costs me 2.00/month) they have full editable program scheduls (Networks I do not want like QVC go by by) and do all the things TiVo does.. In fact you have seen those commercials "ONLY ______ Lets you record in one room/watch in anothr. pause and pick up Download to portable device and watch anywhere" Welllllllll... DO NOT BELIEVE THEM.

Do it myself with my set up, all the time.> Replay has had that two room (or more) trick down since the very first Panasonic Show Stoppers.. Took TiVo till Revision 3.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty cool. It doesn't look like it has LAN connections though. So, your TIVO is on your wireless network within the rig?

How does it keep up with programming as you travel to different areas? Or, do you pretty much stay in one area for a period of time?

Not sure my older TIVO unit has wireless, I have it hooked directly to my home router.......

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Larryect wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Larryect wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:
I have a TiVo in the Motorhome and use it all the time wherever I'm at. Works good. I did purchase the lifetime when I bought it.

Doesn't the box require an internet connection?

Yes it does. I have it hooked up to my wifi amp/router and use either local wifi or cellular data with my iPad or iPhone.

Jerry
Call me if you wish.

Interesting. It's amazing the different ways you can get things to work together. So, most the time I think of a router sending out a wifi signal to other devices. But, it sounds like your wifi amp/router works to accept a wifi signal then distribute it in your rig.

Would you have a link or brand name of the device?

Yes it is a wifi amplifier and a router. Works great. Hawking Electronics model HAW2R1
Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Larryect wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:
I have a TiVo in the Motorhome and use it all the time wherever I'm at. Works good. I did purchase the lifetime when I bought it.

Yes it does. I have it hooked up to my wifi amp/router and use either local wifi or cellular data with my iPad or iPhone.

Jerry
Call me if you wish.

Interesting. It's amazing the different ways you can get things to work together. So, most the time I think of a router sending out a wifi signal to other devices. But, it sounds like your wifi amp/router works to accept a wifi signal then distribute it in your rig.

Would you have a link or brand name of the device?

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Lifetime subscription is tied to the box, not to the account. So if the box dies, or you upgrade you loose the Life Time subscription.
I believe one can transfer the life time subscription to a new owner though. This may help when selling a used box.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with two TIVOs in our 5th wheel that work with both OTA and cable (not all of the models do). We have the lifetime programming on both.

Great solution . . . as long as you are near enough to a metropolitan area to get good OTA reception.

Using them for cable is "hit or miss". Some campgrounds don't use cable companies that are compatible and some use DirectTV "behind the scenes" to provide their "cable". Great picture, but no programing schedule from TIVO to match the lineup.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Larryect wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:

Jerry
Call me if you wish.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
I have TiVo at home and love it. I use it for "free" over the air broadcast TV.

I don't take it on the road however and I am not away from home that long (still working).

I was going to suggest using one or the other. But, you say it's complicated.

I guess you will need to decide. But, I think the $99 for life (of the box) is a killer deal....... Pays for itself in 6.6 months of use and no more cajoling......