cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TracVision R4 for DishNetwork?

RB211
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased an '07 Southwind that has a TracVision R4 on top. The original owner/purchaser never used the system so frankly I don't even know if it'll work.

I've spent a lot of time reading the posts that I've found on TracVision and the Update Flash Wizard and how this system is set up by default to use DirecTV but I'm not sure I'm any further ahead as some of the stuff is contradictory.

I don't have a satellite receiver yet but the plan would be to use DishNetwork (Pay as you Go). Prior to investing in too much stuff I'd like to determine if this system still functional and if so what is needed to get it to work with DishNetwork.

I'm looking for someone who has a TracVision R4 and has it set up to work with Dish to offer some guidance/suggestions.

Phew....thanks in advance,

Ron
'07 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
2 REPLIES 2

RB211
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the candid post....I have heard great things of the Travlr
'07 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
My '07 HR Endeavor, purchased in August of '07 equipped with an R4, was a pain in the butt from the get go. Previous owner had Direct. My dealer had a tech do the setup for my Dish receiver. Worked most of the time for a couple of years. It would occasionally loose its mind and refuse to operate. Went through a couple of expensive software upgrades.

The biggest issues I had with the R4 was rain or even heavy dew would interfere with reception. One time I had big bird take a dump on the dome and hit the exact spot to receive one of the satellites. Also since it had a single LNB, it had to move to switch between birds. It would only find all three birds about 75% of the time. We could tolerate it when only using the MH for 3-4 weeks a year. After retiring, we couldn't deal with the R4 for 3-4 months a year.

In January of '10 had Camping World in Colorado Springs install the Winegard Travler. Couldn't be happier. One button setup and you have HD before you can finish setting up your campsite.

Travler is a bit pricey, but you will save money in the long run by not throwing money at the R4. It is outdated technology.

If you camp in wooded areas I would suggest a Tailgator. We have one for our little travel trailer that we boondock in. I carry 150' of cable and can usually find a "window" to hit the birds. It has a single HD LNB, but switches between Dish's three birds almost instantly.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!