cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

USB Powered Speakers

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to get a little more sound from my laptops. I noticed USB speakers for sale at Walmart at very low cost. I'm always suspicious of any electronics item that's dirt cheap. I'm wondering if any of you folks is familiar with, or using, these speakers? I don't expect great fidelity, of course, and don't wish to use headphones. Thanks in advance for your input.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
14 REPLIES 14

captinharry
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
Well, I've gotten the USB digital speakers from Walmart. Logitech S-150 models. Only cost $10.00. They actually work quite well. Good enhancement over the laptop's speakers.

I have always had good results from all Logitech products

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Traveler7. The sound from these speakers far exceeds that from the built in ones. Even music sounds good now. The manufacturer of these speakers claims 20Hz-20 KHz frequency response, although that seems a little extreme. Nonetheless, it was $10 well spent, and I agree with you that cheaper is not necessarily bad. It's a pleasure now to listen to music with better fidelity and movies without having to strain to hear the words. ๐Ÿ™‚

Traveler7
Explorer
Explorer
on a whim I picked up a 6 dollar BT Speaker from the impulse buy rack at the register in a Walmart and found it worked great both plugged into the computer and as a BT device for the phone. Used mostly to watch movies on the Laptop and audiobooks on the phone. So cheap is not necessarily bad...
"We are not defined by our limitations, we are defined by our potential"

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I've gotten the USB digital speakers from Walmart. Logitech S-150 models. Only cost $10.00. They actually work quite well. Good enhancement over the laptop's speakers.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I'm a bit late I guess, but I'll mention anyway, the kids got us this BT speaker for camping. It surprised me how good the sound was. It recharges over USB, so you could keep it plugged into your laptop but send the sound over BT. We use it with our phones/tablet while camping.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Bluetooth-HiFi-Tec-Enhanced-Waterproof/dp/B072C35WDV/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1539215010&sr=8-9&keywords=punker+bluetooth+speakers
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
I got this Doss Wireless Bluetooth Speaker that we are quite happy with.

No problem connecting them using bluetooth to my phone. This speaker is not "dirt cheap" but it is inexpensive. If you have a bluetooth issue with your laptop, USB bluetooth adapters are dirt cheap.

We like to listen to audiobooks when we travel that I can download to my phone. Using phone for this works seemlessly in my car since it allows connection to the car's speakers with bluetooth. But our RV is a 2005 model that does not have bluetooth connectivity, hence the speaker. The phone speaker volume is too weak to overcome road noise.

Thanks, Asheguy. I've already ordered the usb speakers from WM. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the future. I'll also post on this thread how I like them or if I'll pursue the Bluetooth route.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I got this Doss Wireless Bluetooth Speaker that we are quite happy with.

No problem connecting them using bluetooth to my phone. This speaker is not "dirt cheap" but it is inexpensive. If you have a bluetooth issue with your laptop, USB bluetooth adapters are dirt cheap.

We like to listen to audiobooks when we travel that I can download to my phone. Using phone for this works seemlessly in my car since it allows connection to the car's speakers with bluetooth. But our RV is a 2005 model that does not have bluetooth connectivity, hence the speaker. The phone speaker volume is too weak to overcome road noise.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. I already have a cheap speaker I received as a promotional gift. I can't seem to get it working right on Bluetooth. That's why I'm interested in USB powered speakers. I see the ones selling at Walmart advertise 4W output. That should be sufficient since they will be located close to the computer. I think for $10-14 I'll take a chance since Walmart is good with returns.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend something that has separate power. Either the speakers are powered by AC with stereo signal coming from laptop or a I recommend speakers with a battery like the portable bluetooth speakers.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I bought these speakers at Staples a few years ago.
For the money they can't be beat.
If you don't have a spare USB port on the laptop plug it into a charger or battery pack.

https://www.cyberacoustics.com/store/Products/Speakers/CA-2988

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I've bought a couple from WalMArt to boost the laptop speakers. They
work as advertized. I have one in the garage and another in the living room,
don't expect concert like volume but they boost the laptop speaker volume.
Gerry

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The few I've purchased for my enterprise have been very anemic. They're limited to something like 2.5 watts from the usb port, that's not much power.

Also prone to power supply noise from the host, they don't seem to do much filtering.

In short, avoid USB powered. Rechargable from USB though, like a Bluetooth speaker, thumbs up.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
USB speakers have many uses...phone, music, TV, movies, news. Get a good one.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
not those speakers per se but i do have several bluetooth/USB speakers and both really pack a punch. give them a try...you can always return them.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle