cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

use of dish receiver to aim dish

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
figured I'd try here before stumbling around trying to talk to the dish techs. can a dish receiver that is NOT authorized/registered/or whatever for use still operate as a dish aimer? will it still sense the signals and show signal strength? I'd like to get a dish aimed at my S&B so I could easily pull a receiver out of elsewhere and hook it up quickly.
bumpy
6 REPLIES 6

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks guys. that was what I was hoping for.
bumpy

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom line, Bumpy, is yes, you can use the receiver to point the dish, even if it isn't activated. I know Dish, and I assume DTV as well, have a few promotional channels that are not encrypted, so you can even verify your TV hook up before activating. The receiver is the only item that gets activated, not the dish itself. You can readily move an activated receiver from one dish to another, although dissimilar dish models will require running a "Check switch" to update the receiver for each setup.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the older dishes when you first hooked up you went MENU 6-1-1 as I recall and that took you to antenna pointing.. At this point you may or may not be "Authorised" it makes no differnece,, Now using a battery operated portable TV at the antenna site (or a 120 volt one for that matter) aim your dish (Enter zip code first).

once you have got the dish aimed you go to CHECK DISH, this is where it checks for authorization.

On some of the newer ones you have to wait for the thing to stop trying to aim a Tailgater, once it gets to that step you hit the "*" button, then I think it takes you to Menu 6 1 1, if not you have to go there.

From there it is the same procedure.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
I use two simple apps on my Ipad.
" Dish Align " which gives very precise direction to the satellite, with both an arrow and audible signal and
"SatFinder Lite" which shows the satellite on an arc when held up to the sky, giving you the azumith and direction. Both can be set to which ever satellite you are looking for, with literally hundreds available. Both are FREE aps available for Ipad or Iphone in the Appstore.
Takes me about 5 minutes to set up my tripod dish, without even turning on the TV inside until finished and I can usually get a 98% signal strength.
One of our local satellite dish installers uses both apps for installs.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Yes. A reciever must be aimed and locked on to be authorized.
I use a Radio Shack satellite finder between the dish and reciever to tune in. Takes about 2 minutes to set up. A quality compass, 7 1/6 wrench, level and the finder are all it takes.
I also use a DeWalt surveyors tripod, that lets you set up on unlevel ground by lengthening the legs as needed to level the mounting post. very stable.

thanks, so I can use an unauthorized/registered/etc. receiver, hook it to my dish and TV and go thru the setup procedure getting signal strength etc. before I bring my "legal" receivers to hook up?
bumpy

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. A reciever must be aimed and locked on to be authorized.
I use a Radio Shack satellite finder between the dish and reciever to tune in. Takes about 2 minutes to set up. A quality compass, 7 1/6 wrench, level and the finder are all it takes.
I also use a DeWalt surveyors tripod, that lets you set up on unlevel ground by lengthening the legs as needed to level the mounting post. very stable.