cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Verizon Unlimited how's it working for you?

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who switched to the Verizon Unlimited Plan. Please share thoughts, issues, likes and dislikes. Thank You.
pawatt
47 REPLIES 47

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
So the limit with a jet pack is 10GB and it sounds like you already knew that. If you are in a area with a lot of people your service is going to suffer. This really should not be a surprise. Verizon only promises that you will still have service but there is no service level promised.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
prstlk wrote:
I switched our plan about a month ago and I'm not really happy with it. My computer doesn't like 3g service. The internet continually goes off and then I get a DNS error. I have to restart my computer, sometimes 2 and 3 times and I have to turn my jetpack off and back on at least 1 time as well.

I have never tried to stream anything on my computer or tv - can't imagine how long it would take at 3g service!

Things like short movies shared on Facebook are slow to buffer and opening more than 1 or 2 tabs makes everything really slow. And, heaven forbid my husband get on the internet on his tablet while I'm on the computer - it's a battle to see who can get their pages opened first.

I'm thinking about calling and switching back - which I was told I could do and I made sure it was noted in my records. I had the 30GB plan before and only really had 1 or 2 close times where we went over by 1GB for the month.

I also hate how Verizon tells you it's all unlimited but it really is a limited plan - they slow it down and still control what you can and cannot do with your internet. It's unlimited but really slow!

Any other plans out there that allow you to have 4g lte on an unlimited basis?

I live in the same area as you and used 35gb on my line alone last month, with about 25gb from WiFi tethering to another device. I haven't noticed any slow down at all. How much are you using a month before you start seeing it slow down?

It slowed down pretty much the same minute I hit the 10GB on the jet pack. They sent me notification of my hitting that limit and the issues started that same afternoon.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
prstlk wrote:
I switched our plan about a month ago and I'm not really happy with it. My computer doesn't like 3g service. The internet continually goes off and then I get a DNS error. I have to restart my computer, sometimes 2 and 3 times and I have to turn my jetpack off and back on at least 1 time as well.

I have never tried to stream anything on my computer or tv - can't imagine how long it would take at 3g service!

Things like short movies shared on Facebook are slow to buffer and opening more than 1 or 2 tabs makes everything really slow. And, heaven forbid my husband get on the internet on his tablet while I'm on the computer - it's a battle to see who can get their pages opened first.

I'm thinking about calling and switching back - which I was told I could do and I made sure it was noted in my records. I had the 30GB plan before and only really had 1 or 2 close times where we went over by 1GB for the month.

I also hate how Verizon tells you it's all unlimited but it really is a limited plan - they slow it down and still control what you can and cannot do with your internet. It's unlimited but really slow!

I live in the same area as you and used 35gb on my line alone last month, with about 25gb from WiFi tethering to another device. I haven't noticed any slow down at all. How much are you using a month before you start seeing it slow down?
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer

2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
I used 23gb using my phone as a hot spot this last weekend. Didn't notice and throttling, I used Netflix the entire time without any issue.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
TheSidwells wrote:
No issues for me except I use to much data but then it all work related. I average 30gb a month and since switching to unlimited it saves me $$ and no change in performance that I noticed so far. I did call verizon and asked about the limits and was told if I live in a metro area and reach 28gb the bandwidth could be throttled back depending on demand but that is unlikely.

If you can hold off a month or 2 5G is coming out. Its worth the wait if time permits.

It will be about 2 years before 5G is available
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
In addition to my wifes unlimited plan, I have an unlimited Verizon 3G Hotspot, $5 month, averaging over 150GB/month.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
jcpainter wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

I did use about 16 gigs tethered during my first month. I really did not see any impact after I hit the 10 gig tethering limit. As I write this, I am in my second month and have used more then 10 gig while tethered, but I still do not see any slowdown. So I am a Happy Camper !

Verizon just started enforcing the 10GB tether at 4G limit about 2 weeks ago.

And I have noticed no impact. As of right this second, I have used 14.2 gigs during the last 3 weeks in tether mode. 16.4 gigs in total.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:

I did use about 16 gigs tethered during my first month. I really did not see any impact after I hit the 10 gig tethering limit. As I write this, I am in my second month and have used more then 10 gig while tethered, but I still do not see any slowdown. So I am a Happy Camper !

Verizon just started enforcing the 10GB tether at 4G limit about 2 weeks ago.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the Verizon Unlimited Plan for almost 2 months now and it works fine for me.

Pricing - I am a single so have just one line. That comes to $80/month after $5 discount if you do paperless billing and use a debit card for payment.

If you want 2 or more lines, the cost is a base $100/month plus $20 for each device. Two phones would be $140. Three is $160, And 4 is 180 OR $45 each, which is what you see advertised. Each phone/device will have it's own separate unlimited data bank.

If you tether your phone or use a hotspot, then you get the first 10 gigs at 4G speed, and then the speeds are supposed to drop off.

I full time and tether my phone to my computer, so I get 10 gigs at 4G speed, then the rest at the lower speed. You are not cut off as some may think. It IS STILL UNLIMITED. Just not unlimited 4G. I believe I still have 4G speeds when not tethering my phone, even after hitting the tethered 10 gig limit.

I could add a MIFi for $20/month and that would come with a separate 10 gigs of 4G data, before slowing. I will do this option if I start getting slowed down after 10 gigs of 4G on my tethered phone.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
No problems here, I get 10gb hotspot, wife does too plus I can always switch on Foxfi or cast to the tv so no problems so far

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
dkilley wrote:
Just got the plan 3 days ago. It is a little faster than the 4g I had. Problem discovered yesterday. I have the 10gb plan. They did not offer me the unlimited. I used 1/2 the data in 2 days....which by my calculations is impossible. Not sure what's going on and how I could be eating up all that data. I used .75gb on first day and 4.25gb on 2nd day which is not correct at all.
Anyone got any suggestions on what happened. I did a back up on my iPhone but it was at a version store and used their wifi.

Other than this, it seems to be fine...what is the unlimited plan all about??? I might have to switch over to that.

Make sure your mail is only checking for new messages when you tell it to. If you have it checking all the time, you will eat up your data plan very quickly.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

dkilley
Explorer
Explorer
The new 10gb plan on my iPhone is not working for me. Comedy of errors. I have had plan for 5 days and data is gone. No way I used it all up in 5 days, impossible....except I took it back to the version store and she accidently did a back up of my phone and left the data on and did not use their wifi...Lots of picture on iPhone I had not cleaned up...We called when we run out and they told us they would give us 5gb back, but only got 2.5gb back for some reason. Other than that, the speed is good for what I need. I do not download any movies or anything, just emails and log into office computer to so some business postings. Might switch back to AT@T. I used a 5gb plan there for a year and never ran out of data once. Does not make much sense to me, but I am not an expert on this stuff.

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are on our 3rd month. Our cycle just ended, with over 100GB used. We use PDAnet to operate hotspot.

Haven't noticed any slowdown yet. Since changing, we have traveled to Mexico, thru AZ, CA, NV, and now heading to SD.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

MrWizard
should be noted
IF you want to stream unlimited video
it must be streamed on the cell phone and cast or cabled to the TV
hot spot wifi streaming uses the 10gb of hotspot data
so does any other PC or tablet device use
its only unimited on phone internet and phone video

i think Mandalay mentioned 'casting' his video stream,
in his post