Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
37 REPLIES 37

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The world hates hypocrites, as well it should..
And darn near every one of us is. Easiest argument in the world.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty easy to dogpile on a megalomaniac. Especially when rising-sea-level Al just bought a beach-front Mansion in Monticello, California. Oops I mean future marine world aquarium. The world hates hypocrites, as well it should. A majority of capitol hill is comprised of failed lawyers.

Legislators get paid to promote ideas. THEY RISK NOTHING. The two genuine gentlemen responsible for a quantum leap in development deserve a monument in Silicon Valley.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
And just to clarify the "Al Gore invented the Internet" nonsense, he never made that claim. His exact quote when asked in an interview while seeking the 2000 Democratic presidential nomination what distinguished him from his opponent was:

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our countryโ€™s economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system."

Until then Sen Gore's legislation, the Internet did not exist as a public access entity, only as the limited access DOD sponsored ARPANET. So in that sense, he very much "created" the public Internet when President Bush signed it into law. He never claimed to have "invented" it. Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn are generally credited with that honor.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike-s wrote:
bucky wrote:
It couldn't be any easier.
Yes, it could. For many forums, there's an upload link right in the forum software. Click the Image button, select a file, done.

Not here.

You conveniently left out the link in quoting me. Did you even look at it? It's been a clicky on here for years now. The pic only needs to be on your device.
Puma 30RKSS

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Shucks, when I first got on AOL, it was Steve Case manning tech support
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
AOL and Commodore 64... forever ago. @ 300 baud. mid 1980's.

then at work.. 1988,,, Dos... then Windows 3.1.......

and YES, we also used the "Next" cube...

Sorry the Commodore 64 (most popular computer ever) never did AOL, it did Quantum link and well.. QL sold both annual (Which I bought) and Lifetime (Some of my friends) memberships.. I got good value out of my annual but my friends got ripped off.

You see, once they got big enough, they changed their name to AOL and AOL was entierly PC/MAC at that time, The 64 Could not access.

Compuserve information service is what I used with my VIC-20, and later with a 64, 128 and Poor Computer (PC) Alas today it too is owned by AOL.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I first encountered "the internet" in college, 1983. It was just on campus, connecting the various "computer labs". Remember them? It was almost unheard of to own your own computer, so you went to rooms where computers were available to use.

Some of the computers were connected to phones lines that could (GASP!) contact computers all over the USA. I never played on those... err, I mean do research.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
AOL and Commodore 64... forever ago. @ 300 baud. mid 1980's.

then at work.. 1988,,, Dos... then Windows 3.1.......

and YES, we also used the "Next" cube...

MrWizard
the first time i ever heard of hypermedia and links was in relation to a Lisa ? or Mac computer

i remember Netscape, internet explorer came long before firefox
and there were a lot of 3rd party browsers that use the IE engine code but added features IE did not have, i used a number of them until IE improved, then started using IE, until I switched to FF

and as i recall the 'interweb' evolved from the government operated ARP net
which was connected to colleges, research institutes, and major government contractors
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
1996. I stop into a restaurant. Little did I know it was an "Internet Cafe" with Internet Service Provider (Frame Relay Connection) replete with nerd operators, in the back room.

"Hey! You just GOTTA play this online game!" someone shouted at me as I munched a sandwich "It's called QUAKE!"

I had never been online. My business used Linux.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The US Army (Well Military) Created the internet long before Gore got into the act

I've been on line for at least 31 years.. Think about this.. The internet did not become "The Internet" till 1988 per Wikipedia. I've been on line since 1983 with my own comuter and 1977 with computers at work. Work computer was a combination of local, state and nationwide nets

Personal was international, From day one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
First was Mosaic, a bare bone browser then Netscape, then Mozilla (Firefox)... I think.

According to Amazon, I've been a member for 20 years now? Don't recall if there was even a decent browser back then, though probably was Netscrape? :h

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Well, some things don't change... my screen still looks like that
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Here's his (Tim Berners-Lee) browser- I believe it is on a Next system:
-- Chris Bryant