cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you run Plex Media Server on?

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a way to keep something plugged in all the time to run Plex Media Server so I don't have to keep a laptop on. It will live in a little cubby above the refrigerator with the router. I've looked at a WD Passport Pro wireless NAS, but it turns the WIFI off whenever you have it charging. That's worthless. I'm looking at using a Raspberry Pi 3, but it's WIFI may be too slow to communicate with the router and the Roku device at the same time. We use Plex to keep up with the few network TV shows we watch anymore (commercial free). Anyone do anything similar to this? Let me know about your setup. Thanks.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!
21 REPLIES 21

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
phemens wrote:
RSD559 wrote:
I'm looking for a way to keep something plugged in all the time to run Plex Media Server so I don't have to keep a laptop on. It will live in a little cubby above the refrigerator with the router. I've looked at a WD Passport Pro wireless NAS, but it turns the WIFI off whenever you have it charging. That's worthless. I'm looking at using a Raspberry Pi 3, but it's WIFI may be too slow to communicate with the router and the Roku device at the same time. We use Plex to keep up with the few network TV shows we watch anymore (commercial free). Anyone do anything similar to this? Let me know about your setup. Thanks.

I have the WD Passport Pro wireless. Just got it, but I believe it only turns off the wireless if connected to a PC, since it uses the USB connection for data transfer. I picked up a 12v to 5v converter to hard wire the charger into the 12v system in the RV, seems to work well.
I use Kodi on a Raspberry Pi and an Nvidia Shield to access the HD. The advantage to the Passport is that I can access the media on any other device - iPad, etc.

I checked for WIFI when I plugged the charger in and plugged it into the USB 3.0 port. No WIFI. Tried the USB 2.0 port too. No charge.
And no way to plug it into the Router. I don't believe I will need any transcoding, since we only stream our TV shows to our Roku.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
RSD559 wrote:

I have the WD Passport Pro wireless. Just got it, but I believe it only turns off the wireless if connected to a PC, since it uses the USB connection for data transfer. I picked up a 12v to 5v converter to hard wire the charger into the 12v system in the RV, seems to work well.
I use Kodi on a Raspberry Pi and an Nvidia Shield to access the HD. The advantage to the Passport is that I can access the media on any other device - iPad, etc.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
punomatic wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
Just run cat 5 from the pi to the router- it will be plenty fast.
I run a Pi3 at home for my Plex media server. It works fine. I can stream from it even when I am away from home, as long as the local wi-fi network where I am has adequate bandwidth. My Pi is connected to my home router via ethernet cable, and I stream to several Rokus, an Apple TV and a smart TV.

I also have a Pi in my TT that I use as a local server with all of my movie and music collections on a USB HDD. We are never without electronic entertainment at our beck and call.

I also use the Pi in the TT as a client to stream from my PMS on the Pi at home.

Does all your stuff direct play? or your saying it can handle the transcoding as well? sd content or hd content as well?

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I run a Pi3 at home for my Plex media server. It works fine. I can stream from it even when I am away from home, as long as the local wi-fi network where I am has adequate bandwidth. My Pi is connected to my home router via ethernet cable, and I stream to several Rokus, an Apple TV and a smart TV.

I also have a Pi in my TT that I use as a local server with all of my movie and music collections on a USB HDD. We are never without electronic entertainment at our beck and call.

I also use the Pi in the TT as a client to stream from my PMS on the Pi at home.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
lets be careful with some of these devices. if plex decides to transcode, a PI or any other low end device will not have the cpu grunt to keep up with the transcode.

Now if you have ability to convert all your files into a format your player can "Direct play" then yes the server does not do anything but move the media.

Synology makes units that can transcode directly off the NAS and use low power.

Kodi in my opinion can be better in this situation as the client itself does the conversion and simply needs storage tied to it.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Netgear NAS that supports up to 8 TB. The NAS has apps that can be installed, including a Plex Media Server app. We take it with us when we camp seasonally and use it to play music and watch movies. We grab the campgrounds wifi and feed it into our own router for internet. The NAS is wired directly to the router. We also have all our photos and home videos on the NAS, so if anything were to happen to our house while we are away, we won't lose our memories.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
-- Chris Bryant