cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's the best today for seasonal MI-FI ?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have old Franklin modem, sold to me by Calix institute for $500 with 1 year unlimited service. It was operated by Sprint, even I did not have Sprint account and it worked in the areas where cellphones not always worked.
But now, I need a modem for summer only and don't want to pay $500 for full year.
Sprint doesn't seem to support my old modem, so I am facing $120 + for new modem and min $30/month. Still did not check if they will force me into long contract.
Anybody has better deal available today?
13 REPLIES 13

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
This might not work for you, but here's what I do.

I have an iPad pro 12.9 with cellular. ATT has a pay-as-you-go plan for $35, 30 days unlimited. It can also be used as a hotspot for other devices. We're never out for more than 30 days, so it works perfect for us. Almost everything I watch is on the iPad anyway, but I can stream to a TV if I want to.

So the $35 a month unlimited is great, but the cost of entry (cellular iPad) is prohibitive unless you need/want an iPad.

Are you positive that the iPad on the AT&T plan can turn on the hotspot feature? My iPad produces a message to contact AT&T when I attempt to turn on the hotspot feature. This article explains the plan and clearly states that the iPad plan does NOT allow mobile hot spotting.

I know that many folks use the iPad to get the cheap plan, and then put the SIM into another AT&T hotspot.

AT&T does not condone this, but so far they haven't enforced their TOS to prohibit it.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
AFTER THE VACATIONS.
I am back from Alaska vacations and it was great one.
The Sprint modem did work exceptionally well, although Sprint coverage maps are too positive.
Still it did work in areas, where cellphones would not, although sometimes it took it 1/2 hr to get the service connection.
The modem was also connecting in Canada, but I did not purchase service there, so did not get Internet. Canceling was a hassle as website has no option, when phone operator was trying to sell me more service.
Quite often having campground WI-FI I still used my modem as WI-FI on lot of campgrounds is unusable.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still remember chat rooms 20 years ago, when I could type my reply, go to bathroom, come back and by then the reply would show on page.
The 2G speed is after I use up 10 Gigs that come with the plan at 4G.
Since I plan to spend my time observing the nature, I don't plan to use-up 10 Gigs as hoping most of the campgrounds have WI-Fi, I will try to use their service for making future reservations.
Worse come to worse I can always upgrade to $60/month plan.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2G? Really? Do you have any idea how slow that really is? "IF" you are able to do e-mail you will be lucky!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
To wrap up the topic - I took my modem to Sprint service center and they establish new account for it.
My monthly cost is $30 (with auto refill) for 10Gb service, that has unlimited use (in case I need it) at 2G speeds.
Full unlimited service is $60/month

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where you got the $100 membership figure at when I sent you a link where you could sign-up for only $50 and they'd waive the $10 initiation fee right now. Total cost for one year's membership = $50

Included with membership as I mentioned is an insurance policy that would manage your health care if you became incapacitated and needed transportation to another medical facility if needed or get you or your remains back home from anywhere in the world. It also covers returning your RV back home with a professional driver or someone of your choice - you pick they pay. You might not need that coverage but much better to have and not need than need and not have. You couldn't buy a policy like that for $50 a year. There are several other discount programs available to FMCA members. Check the links I provided above. I don't think the cost of a year's membership in FMCA should be considered as cost for your mobile data service.

That brings your $400 figure for 4 months of service back to $200 without rounding up on all those figures they way you did. Let's keep it real. I'll say no more.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was very satisfy with Sprint service I used for 2 previous seasons.
Drove from Vegas to Florida and the only place it did not work was AZ desert, where they had no cellphone coverage.
I was using Virgin Mobile a decade ago, but they discontinue the service, or plans I was using.
Pretty frustrating that those companies come and go and basically every season you have to do new research.
Comparing the motorcoach deal, for 4 months I would have to spend $100 on membership and rental + 200 for 4 months subscription.
The $300 for 4 months rental is pretty close to $400 annual subscription with Calix.
Problem with Calix is that they don't have real Customer Support and adding subscription is a hassle.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Alot depends on where you seasonally use Wi-Fi..

When I was doing that.. I went with Virgin Mobile.. usually I'd get 20 dollars worth a month.. BUT VM uses the SPRINT network which at time was bragging about how their "In-Network" reliability was within 1% of Verizon. what they did not tell you was their NETWORK was not much more than 1% of Verizon so odds are you'd be "out of network".

Today.. As I understand it. Sprint has been sold to another provider with a much better network.. BUT.. There is a reason I'm not naming that provider.. (I'm not sure it has in fact been sold) Hoping to have an excuse to chat with provider rep soon on that but the motive is simply not there at present.

One of the fun things is I could walk into say a LOVE's Truck stop and ask for a "Twenty Dollar Virgin" (Pre-paid card).

It's no secret that T-Mobile purchased Sprint last year, but is waiting on final approval from the "powers that be" for the merger to be completed. That's on all the news channels.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Alot depends on where you seasonally use Wi-Fi..

When I was doing that.. I went with Virgin Mobile.. usually I'd get 20 dollars worth a month.. BUT VM uses the SPRINT network which at time was bragging about how their "In-Network" reliability was within 1% of Verizon. what they did not tell you was their NETWORK was not much more than 1% of Verizon so odds are you'd be "out of network".

Today.. As I understand it. Sprint has been sold to another provider with a much better network.. BUT.. There is a reason I'm not naming that provider.. (I'm not sure it has in fact been sold) Hoping to have an excuse to chat with provider rep soon on that but the motive is simply not there at present.

One of the fun things is I could walk into say a LOVE's Truck stop and ask for a "Twenty Dollar Virgin" (Pre-paid card).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
This might not work for you, but here's what I do.

I have an iPad pro 12.9 with cellular. ATT has a pay-as-you-go plan for $35, 30 days unlimited. It can also be used as a hotspot for other devices. We're never out for more than 30 days, so it works perfect for us. Almost everything I watch is on the iPad anyway, but I can stream to a TV if I want to.

So the $35 a month unlimited is great, but the cost of entry (cellular iPad) is prohibitive unless you need/want an iPad.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
For the past year, FMCA is just that - "FMCA". They now accept ALL RV owners as members. It's not about what you drive, it's about the fun of RVing and the fellowship.

If anyone says they only accept motorhome owners, they're lying to you. I think the requirement for membership is that the RV must have a fixed toilet to qualify.

FMCA is the only RV club that's a non-profit operated for the benefit of its members. None of the others can say that. The cost of membership includes repatriation insurance and entitles you to several other benefits - like mobile data plans.
Don Ford
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks.
All plans seem to be tied up to Motorcoach association.,
I own Truck Camper.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the offerings through membership in FMCA.

Details of the new FMCA Tech Connect+ Package wrote:
The Sprint plan, unlike the Verizon plan announced last week, actually offers truly unlimited high-speed data subject only to network management. The new plan has some interesting details and may also be suitable for part-time RVers & snowbirds looking for short term mobile internet solutions without a commitment.

https://join.fmca.com/save10now/

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/fmca-offers-new-sprint-unlimited-data-plan-with-tech-connect-member...

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/fmca-offers-new-sprint-unlimited-data-plan-with-tech-connect-member...

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/fmca-rolls-out-unlimited-verizon-hotspot-plan/
Don Ford