cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wi-fi antenna - omni vs. yagi

memilanuk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking at adding a booster/repeater system to our travel trailer, in the hopes of getting some better access to CG wifi. I understand that it probably won't be able to stream movies, etc. but I would like to be able to connect at all! Seems like the campgrounds we stay at are often down in a hole where my cell signal sucks as well.

Anywho, having read thru a number of threads/posts on wifi, etc. I saw several recommendations for omni directional setups like the Jefa Tech, etc. but not very many for yagi antennas. Any ideas as to why? Is there not enough advantage or signal gain with the directional antennas to make it worth having to aim them @ the CG repeater?

Thanks,

Monte
38 REPLIES 38

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Another factor with a Yagi, particularly the ones that look like UHF antenna is that they only have about a 15 degree arc to aim them. With the right setup you can actually pickup a signal as far as 5 miles away. The problem with that is you would need a rifle scope to aim it that far away.
Directional antenna's like Yagi are meant to increase your distance, not really to give you a stronger signal at short range. I have never seen a campground that requires a Yaga to pickup the signal within the park (although some may exist). The biggest issues you will find with campground WIFI are:
1) slow/overloaded internet connection- no WIFI antenna will fix that
2) bad WIFI network design- using too many repeaters, the only way a WIFI antenna would fix that is if you could figure out and connect to an access point closer to the main building
3) your trailer is a big Faraday cage (aka cone of silence for WIFI)- this is where your WIFI antenna is a big win, getting it near a window or better on the roof or TV antenna has the best chance of improving things. In this case an 8db Omni with a short good quality cable (5-10ft) is more than enough.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

shooker99
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Alfa anantna for years. Amazon has them. Paul

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
as most cg WiFi sucks I think you are throwing money down a rat hole
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a vertically polarize Yagi with good results. I'm actually surprised how well it picks up signals from the side. For less than $15 how can you go wrong.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Yep .. Clear as mud
Even I thought the router aka access node handled all that
only if they can hear the traffic on the channel.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MrWizard
Yep .. Clear as mud
Even I thought the router aka access node handled all that
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
omni antennas are vertically polorized. Yagis are horizontally polorized.
beams are any polarity you bolt them down in
Jeff - WA6EQU

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
omni antennas are vertically polorized. Yagis are horizontally polorized.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
wiFi is a completely different bird than simply producing enough gain to the node you are trying to talk to. Assuming that there are other WiFi nodes, or users in tthe area, you need to produce enough signal so that THEY can hear you as well, because if they can't, they will unknowingly step on you. If they can hear your packet stream, they will stand by and wait for your transmitted packet to clear the band.

Often what's needed more than a big strong signal at the node you are trying to talk to is to be loud enough for the others within range to standby.

If this is NOT a CG and on private property or elsewhere where you know there is no other interference in the area, then you can make good use of a beam.

Clear as Mud?
Jeff - WA6EQU