cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi Boosters

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
We generally camp around or in the mountain region. The Wifi at most of the places we camp at is weak since most of the time we are far away from their office. Is there a good booster out there that will increase the wifi ? We do not sreaming movies or anything, but would be nice to just get internet service. Thanks
1994 Ford F250 4 Wheel Drive Deisel
1991 NewMar Kountry Star 30'
11 REPLIES 11

Richk88,

Do you plug that in on the outside of the rv or inside.... I have that same exact thing at my Stick and brick... I was under the assumption that you needed a laptop in order to program that?? I could just unplug it and take that with me each time.... ?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

richk88
Explorer
Explorer
at our seasonal site we could get 1 bar of wifi signal from the campground wifi and that was only sometimes,got one of these and now the wifi is good enough that my son will be on youtube with his tablet and my wife and I surfing on our phones.
2014 Shasta Revere 27RL
Retired from pulling and went seasonal

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information. I will go check them out. Thanks again.
1994 Ford F250 4 Wheel Drive Deisel
1991 NewMar Kountry Star 30'

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Thanks Gunship Guy.!

You're welcome!
2017 Weekend Warrior (by The RV Factory)
2013 Ram 3500 Longhorn LB DRW 4x4 Aisin 4.10

Previous:

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 41'
2006 DRV Mobile Suites 38'
Volvo 770

Thanks Gunship Guy.!
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Gunship Guy wrote:
We're using the WifiRanger Sky hard-mounted on the roof. Works well.

I was just looking at this model , it looks interesting.. Did you screw it into your roof?? or mount it another way? as far as login goes... Each park you stay at , do you have to re log in again? What about power>? do you need to run power to the unit ?

I had it factory-installed while our 5'er was being built. Permanent connection on roof near front.

You have to login to each park as it needs to connect to their wifi. Some parks are password-protected. But once you're logged in you're good until you switch parks.

Mine is hard-wired to a 12v source. On/off with a toggle switch mounted in the cabinet with slide switches, etc.

Previous:

Volvo 770

Gunship Guy wrote:

I was just looking at this model , it looks interesting.. Did you screw it into your roof?? or mount it another way? as far as login goes... Each park you stay at , do you have to re log in again? What about power>? do you need to run power to the unit ?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Dennis M M wrote:
I use a Bear Extender Mini, which is no longer available. DW uses this Bear Extender and they both work great.

Have used them all over with good results. Here in Desert Trails I can see all of the WiFi nodes AND the ones for the park next door, not to mention all of the neighboring residents WiFis.

Do you just plug it inside your camper?? Or outside? How was the set up? How about apple products , do they work on there ?(some do not)
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

Gunship_Guy
Explorer
Explorer

Previous:

Volvo 770

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Bear Extender Mini, which is no longer available. DW uses this Bear Extender and they both work great.

Have used them all over with good results. Here in Desert Trails I can see all of the WiFi nodes AND the ones for the park next door, not to mention all of the neighboring residents WiFis.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

Explorer
Explorer
We got a wifi booster for just this same reason. There needs to be some signal that can be boosted. If you get no bars on your laptop or tablet, this is not going to create a signal out of nothing. The one that we got needs a laptop to make the initial connection at each campground. The booster connects to the laptop to use the laptop screen as a display to set up the connection. I don't know if a booster exists that will use a tablet to do this. The signal is found, shown on the laptop screen, any passwords, etc are entered to make the connection, and once the connection is locked in, the laptop is disconnected from the booster(network cable is used), and the booster retains the connection even when shut off. You then turn on the booster and connect by wifi to any wifi device that you have. When we go to another campground, we have to do the same thing all over - even going back to that same campground if another connection was locked in since we were there.

It has worked and we have been able to get use out of weak wifi signals. We have one the Amped Wireless units - the one with the longest range. Look for one that talks about connections outside of a house. One that is made to go from the first floor to the second floor in a house is not going to work for this type of application.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road