cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi Issues

aabear54
Explorer
Explorer
Now that ATT seems to have abandoned the 12 month yearly WiFi data plan and after I had spent $400 for a Winegard RV ToGo WiFi extender, what are you guys doing for your WiFi (other than relying on the campground)?
We just updated our rig with new Smart TVโ€™s.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
21 REPLIES 21

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
aabear54 wrote:
Now that ATT seems to have abandoned the 12 month yearly WiFi data plan and after I had spent $400 for a Winegard RV ToGo WiFi extender, what are you guys doing for your WiFi (other than relying on the campground)?
We just updated our rig with new Smart TVโ€™s.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Many people confuse WiFi with Cellular data.
Cell phones will use cellular signal for connection to the internet, but if you have a laptop you will need a WiFi network to connect to. You can use a smartphone as a Cellular Hot spot to provide WiFi to the computer, or you can purchase a dedicated Hot Spot. The dedicated Hot Spot will work far better than using your phone to get WiFi signal.
We full time park host and one of our sites has really bad AT&T service, we also have a WeBoost cellular signal booster. Well it failed while in that bad site. The hot spot still was working good enough that I was able to go out on my laptop and get a replacement unit for the WeBoost.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered changing providers when your TOGO plan expires and then continue using the TOGO? Now that Winegard/TOGO has unlocked this unit, accessing the administration menu and then using another provider's SIM is relatively easy. It's unfortunate that AT&T ended their agreement with TOGO but, if the TOGO has worked for you, changing out the SIM is very easy and certainly an option. There is no one specific answer to our internet solution as RVers but, having redundancy seems to work well for us. We have an unlimited hotspot phone plan with Verizon and then switched to a Cricket Wireless data plan for our TOGO when we lost the original plan. Just another set of options perhaps for you to consider.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a T-Mobile "Unlimited" plan (FUll bore for so many Gigs and throttled for hotspot after that a higher cut off on the phone itself and lower "Vector" after that (may slow down if tower busy)

I just added a FMCA Tec-Connect which is from Sprint which is now also T-mobile
Totaly unlimited but... So far I'm not seeing the same speeds the phone gets

This was sent via the Tech Connect device (Sprint Mi-Fi)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is that wireless gets pretty congested in the afternoon and evening. Also a mini peak in the morning. So it becomes impossible to watch anything.
For the evening I started on buying old DVDs on line. Lots of places sell them some with free shipping

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
smartphone hotspot
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here are the AT&T plans:

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We have an Air Card from Verizon. That allows us to make own WIFI for our use.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker