cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WIFI on Printer

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We bought a WIFI equipped printer - works fine most of the time,once in a while -- not --

Do printers use our hotspot WIFI to communicate, or is this technology embedded in the printer itself, and then linked to the PC?
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:
Do printers use our hotspot WIFI to communicate, or is this technology embedded in the printer itself, and then linked to the PC?

YES. (I know that is not the kind of answer you want)

The printer can generally be set up as an "Ad-Hock" device, this means your laptop connects to it as it would a hot spot or Wi-Fi Router.

Or it can be set up as a Client device,, (Connects to a Hot Spot or Router)

The computer can also be set up as an Ad-Hock device but please do not ask me how on modern machines (Done it on older boxes) .

What the printer generally can not do is Dynamic IP.. It must be set with Static IP. and if for some reason you are hooked to a different router with a different IP mask, then it will not work.

NOTE Hot-Spot and Router are interchangable in this post for a Hot-Spot IS a router.. (though the reverse is not always true).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

toolttime
Explorer
Explorer
I have to have my bluetooth on and connected to use my Hp printer
2015 Thor Tuscany 45AT

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can be either way. My printer is hooked into the house WIFI (they just call it WIFI), but a computer with WIFI can hook directly to the printer too (they call it WIFI Direct).
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
So, if we buy printer with wireless, means internal wireless, does not require a hotspot to transmit? That's my question.
The simple answer is Yes and No. :h

My home wireless printer is set as a "Network" printer that connects to my home router (same as hotspot). Any device on my wired/wireless network can connect to the printer without using any Internet data. The printer does have to have the proper password to match my secure home network.

The alternate that I tried years ago is called "Ad Hoc" connection which is a direct wireless connection from my laptop to the printer without going through the home router/hotspot.

Either way can be set when you "install" the printer on your computer.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
OK - got what I need. Thanks you all ... happy camping.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

MrWizard
checck for that feature, ASK when you buy, that it is supported

but like i said
your hotspot is a router
IF you are direct connected to the printer
most likely you cannot connect to hotspot for internet at the same time

this also means you will have too switch connections back and forth
using the wifi control panel ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We only want to print from the PC, not the web ...

So, we "wireless" the printer only to the PC, that just eliminates any need for a hotspot, right?

We do not use router, or network, just a PC and a hotspot for internet - but want the printer independent of the hotspot, so we don't have to turn on hotspot and use data allowance just to print wireless.

Printer sits in a different location than the movable laptops, so if we're in the kitchen, we would send to printer, or in the office, etc, and not have to go hook cables each time we print.

So, if we buy printer with wireless, means internal wireless, does not require a hotspot to transmit? That's my question.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My WIFI printer is shown on the wired and wireless router I have here as a printer to use. I also have two additional wired printers and all three printers are shown on the list of printers to use when I try to print something. I have to select which printer I want to use...

I can connect to my system router here with both wired and wireless connections using laptops, tablets and cellphones and use the selected wireless WIFI printer...

I think there is a way to use the wifi printer from the internet but haven't looked in that yet...

I am thinking a smaller WIFI printer might be a good thing to take along with my LAPTOPS and TABLETS on my RV trips...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most modern printers with wifi also have the ability to do wifi direct (no router but rather direct to PC).. I turned my Wifi Direct off since I use a router to connect everything.

MrWizard
Some printers can connect directly to your pc
All Wi-Fi enabled printers can be part of a network using your ROUTER for its connection

If yours only works when your hotspot is turned on,
Then it is setup to use your hotspot routing

If you want to print from more than one specific device then you need to use network routing
If you only want to print from one pc, you can TRY to setup a direct pc to print Wi-Fi connection
But then the pc might not be connected to the hotspot for internet
When Wi-Fi networking was designed
The design operation protocols aka instructions and limits
Were setup for using a router to connect everything together
Not for a printer or pc to connect to multiple devices at the same time
That was is the job of the router
An access point by design is router allowing multiple devices to connect to the network and accesses other devices such as printers
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Every once in a while I have to unplug and the printer re-boots and all is ok. Give that a try. It usually works fine but once in a while the computer does not 'see' the printer son uplug and plug seems to re-set it.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I understand things, wifi printers are just like your laptop, smartphone or any other wifi products. It has an IP address and everything. When you send a print command it sends the info to that IP. Sort of like making a phone call.