cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi

MC9
Explorer
Explorer
Stopped at a Walmart in Morris, IL and had free Walmart WiFi. First WiFi I've found at Walmart.
33 REPLIES 33

kgragert
Explorer
Explorer
This is an excellent VPN company, with a great National and International reputation. Their connections are safer than those at your house.
$39.95 a year.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/
I thought when I retired my Hobby would be RVing.
I was wrong, my Hobby apparently is Finding and stopping leaks.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Bill S. wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression that if you are on an https or better secured website, it doesn;t matter if the wifi is open-access (unsecured), as all data in and out of your computer is encrypted, and would be of no use to someone trying to capture keystrokes, or "read your mail". And if the laptop/tablet has reasonable security (firewall), they would not be able to get to your hard drive.
For those of us who live real lives yes this is true. Is it conceivable that the owner of an open wifi could hack your https session? Possibly, but probably about the same odds as a hacker waiting by the side of the road to hack my car computer and send me plummeting off an embankment.

In any case, I do not keep any passwords or other critical info on my computer, unless encrypted in a password safe
A very safe idea, but now if I could get all of my personal information and social security # off my doctor's computer I would feel better. I don't save passwords and don't worry about what is on my computer.

Someone mentioned VPN. Is that something that we could all implement by placing a wifi router/repeater, with VPN, between our laptops and public wifi? Then we could log on to our own repeater's ssid, and everything from there out, would be encripted?

Would that increase our internet security?
A VPN takes two players. In this case you want to be encrypted through the potentially nefarious open wifi access point so you would need to run a VPN from your PC to a third-party server somewhere on the Internet and then they would provide decryption so the message is in the clear to the end receiving web site (and perform a reverse service on the way back). Basically you are trusting the VPN service provider instead of the wifi access point. Pick your poison.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Bill_S_1
Explorer
Explorer
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression that if you are on an https or better secured website, it doesn;t matter if the wifi is open-access (unsecured), as all data in and out of your computer is encrypted, and would be of no use to someone trying to capture keystrokes, or "read your mail". And if the laptop/tablet has reasonable security (firewall), they would not be able to get to your hard drive.

In any case, I do not keep any passwords or other critical info on my computer, unless encrypted in a password safe.

Someone mentioned VPN. Is that something that we could all implement by placing a wifi router/repeater, with VPN, between our laptops and public wifi? Then we could log on to our own repeater's ssid, and everything from there out, would be encripted?

Would that increase our internet security?
Bill, (aka Capt.Bill)
2002 Horizon 36LD, Cat 330
RVing since 1987
First State

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wal*Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, Selected Dennies,Selected Old Country Buffet, Selectd independnt restaurants, Applebees McDonalds, Burgr King and so many more that I can not even begain to list 'em all now offer free wi-fi at least at selected stors.

HOWEVER the more popular ones are hacker heaven..A Hacker takes out the store's router (Basically shuts it off)then sets his own "Look-a-like" router and captures all your log in info...

To date I have not had it happen to me.. But I read about it in many places INCLUDING RV FORUMS from folks who have had it happen..

I run decent security..I'm not sure it is that good however.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I always use a Vpn when I go on a public network. Most phones and tablets have the option to encrypt all the data on the phone or tablet in fact, the new Google Nexus 6 phone comes with encryption and encrypts all the new data on it.

There are several studies out that suggest a cell phone or tablet is actually more secure than a computer. I believe they can be if your up on it.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your on a https site your hard to hack and IMO your in mostdanger when you hand your card to the waiter and she/he disappears into the back room !
Bill

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV daytrader wrote:
OK...so how many folks here have had their computers hacked into while using free wifi from starbucks, McDonalds, home depot, etc ??? I know its supposed to be unsafe, but who has had it happen to them??
Nobody I know has ever had it happen.

Bad things do happen, like plane crashes, but the chances it will happen to you are vanishingly small. Of course it's possible, but possible is just not worth the worry.

We've all seen security breaches at big stores, but I've yet to see one about wifi (that had any evidence to back it up.) Cyber thieves go after the big money, not Joe Blow in the coffee shop.

A few years ago the Lifelock company (ID protection) ran an ad showing a beautiful young lady in an espresso shop blithely stealing everyone's bank data. Yeah right. I wrote to them and told them they were using blatant scare tactics to sell product. They stopped those ads shortly after that. I'm sure many people believe stuff like that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Mastercard was just hacked and I'll bet it was Home Depot. Nothing to do with wifi, just bad computer security.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
OK...so how many folks here have had their computers hacked into while using free wifi from starbucks, McDonalds, home depot, etc ??? I know its supposed to be unsafe, but who has had it happen to them??
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Now back to the OP.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
paulcardoza wrote:
I do ALL of my financial business online, including filing taxes. Haven't written a paper check in over 5 years. I use my iPhone, iPad or laptop as convenience allows.I have had only one single incident of fraud on my credit card and that was from a physical card swipe at a car rental office in Key West
x2

I live on the edge. I've done banking in a Starbucks, I do turbo tax online.. my entire life is on the internet. Plus, I run no AV software whatsoever.

I also had an Amex card hacked, at a gas station in Las Vegas. Very little paranoia here.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I do everything I possibly can online. I couldn't keep up with paper considering the amount we travel.

Still, if I'm not certain of the origin of a nice fat open wifi hotspot, I won't do any sensitive stuff (e.g. banking). SSL can be hacked too. I'm not worried about anybody being able to get into my computer - it's protected.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
@Water-Bug -

Paranoia is the first thing that comes to mind when reading your posts here. I do ALL of my financial business online, including filing taxes. Haven't written a paper check in over 5 years. I use my iPhone, iPad or laptop as convenience allows.

I have had only one single incident of fraud on my credit card and that was from a physical card swipe at a car rental office in Key West (unscrupulous employee!). If you have an SSL Browser and deal with reputable sites, the network you are on is mostly irrelevant. Obviously, if someone is out there looking to get hold of your specific information, it can be done. I just don't see someone sitting outside a WalMart expecting to hit the mother lode!
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from fifth wheel forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar