cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10, stop notifications

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Fairly recent windows 10 user. Home version, creators update.

The notifications that shoot in from the lower right corner on the screen, and have audio sound, are driving me crazy.

How can I turn these off?

Examples:
Every time a new song plays off my play list there is a ding/dong and a window pops up in the lower right corner notifying me of the new songs name and artist.

Every time I take a picture with my phone there is a ding/dong and a window pops up in the lower right corner notifying me that there is an upload of said image.

There are a couple other notification messages as well.

The only thing I want my computer to notify me of is appointments off my calendar in outlook 2016. Outlook does this via a pop up window, which works fine.

How can I turn off these windows notifications?

Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Wrace wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
You might have put Firefox in full screen mode. When you're in FF, Hit F11. See if it looks familiar. F11 again un-full-screens ๐Ÿ˜‰

Glad you're getting it figured out :C

Ha! Looks like that's exactly what I did.:S
Thanks

Great news! Now you have a new trick up your sleeve ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for reporting back :C

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
You might have put Firefox in full screen mode. When you're in FF, Hit F11. See if it looks familiar. F11 again un-full-screens ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ha! Looks like that's exactly what I did.:S
Thanks

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just tagging this discussion ๐Ÿ™‚
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Wrace wrote:
drsteve wrote:
What menu bar are you looking at?

On the top of the screen - I'm calling it a menu bar but maybe it's just the browser bars (fire fox).

It has the tabs on top and the url, forward/back, bookmarks, home, print etc.

Maybe I should get my laptop (win 10) and look through the settings and compare to the desk top. Laptop works fine.

Thanks

Ah, you're talking about the Firefox menu bar! That's not a Windows setting. Hover your mouse up there, and when the bar appears, click the Menu icon on the right. Then click Full Screen.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Alright,

Well I guess this is somewhat embarrassing, but here is what I discovered.

I rarely work out of windows desktop. Always have the browser and various tabs open, and just work out of the browser. I had occasion this afternoon to go to the desk top and low and behold, there was the task bar showing again. Go back to the browser and the task bar disappeared.

Restarted FF and the task bar is back in the browser.

Go back to the notifications settings and turn notifications off (again) and so far the task bar is still there...

And it appears the visual and audio notifications of what song is playing, and camera uploads is now gone.

The visual notification of a received email is gone, but I think the audio notification is still there. I'll have to test it some more, but my wife is tired of sending me 'test' emails this evening. ๐Ÿ™‚ There may be some settings relative to notification in outlook 2016 I need to look at for this.

Thanks again!

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

On the top of the screen - I'm calling it a menu bar but maybe it's just the browser bars (fire fox).

It has the tabs on top and the url, forward/back, bookmarks, home, print etc.

Maybe I should get my laptop (win 10) and look through the settings and compare to the desk top. Laptop works fine.

Thanks

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
When the task bar is visible try right-clicking on it and then select Lock the task bar. Maybe that'll work.
Dave

I did try that and the check box is checked to lock the task bar.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
When the task bar is visible try right-clicking on it and then select Lock the task bar. Maybe that'll work.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
If you hit the windows key (usually near bottom left of keyboard), the taskbar should show up, allowing you to right-click on it and select options.

It's possible you shrunk it down in height and cannot see it. Try moving mouse towards bottom of screen and if it turns into double headed arrow, click and hold to drag it upwards about an inch. That should increase the size and let you work with it.

What menu across the top? You didn't move the taskbar up top?

Thanks for the help.

Used the windows key to get into set up - notification menu.
Turned everything back on that I had turned off.

The menu bar (top) has reappeared but the task bar (bottom) is still not showing.

The interesting thing is when hit the windows button the task bar shows up and stays up while I am in the settings menus. The switch for locking the task bar is on.

When I close the settings menu the task bar disappears again.

Can't get double arrows to show in task bar area.

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so done with Windows. Loaded Linux Mint onto a partition and it works fine without all the Windows bloat and nonsense
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
If you hit the windows key (usually near bottom left of keyboard), the taskbar should show up, allowing you to right-click on it and select options.

It's possible you shrunk it down in height and cannot see it. Try moving mouse towards bottom of screen and if it turns into double headed arrow, click and hold to drag it upwards about an inch. That should increase the size and let you work with it.

What menu across the top? You didn't move the taskbar up top?

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, that appears to have done the trick.

Edit,
Ok, maybe not.

Now the menu bar across the top has disappeared, though it will come up if I hover over the area.

The task bar (the one across the bottom?)has disappeared and won't come up even when I hover over the area.

I guess it takes turning off notifications pretty seriously. ๐Ÿ˜‰