cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 11 available on October 5

Microsoft announced that Windows 11 will be available as a FREE upgrade to WIN 10 users beginning October 5, 2021. The upgrade will be rolled out through 2022 to eligible PC hardware.

Read the Microsoft blog article: Windows 11 available on October 5
23 REPLIES 23

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Why all the complaints??? Software can only be updated so many times before it becomes necessary to make significant changes required to keep up with new hardware and new applications and then becomes necessary to release that as a new version. And those changes by necessity may not be compatible with older hardware. It is simply not practical to have software capable of runnng new applications and yet still be compatible with 10/15/20 year old hardware and application software.

You can still use old versions of software as long as you want as long as you continue to use older hardware and older versions of applications compatible with it. Higher performance and faster and more capable software is simply required by the demand for faster and more expansive computing capabilities.

Just checked my oldest DELL Vostro PC still being used with the latest MS PC Health Check tool, and the hardware is not eligible for Windows 11. Specifically, the Intel Core i7 processor - a 2012 biz desktop. Will just keep using WIN10, though have gotten my money's worth in any case. System processors may end up being the limiting factor for eligibility for WIN11 upgrades.

My primary desktop a Dell Alienware 17" laptop w/TB Hub, and other notebooks are no older than a couple of years so should be eligible for WIN11. Though haven't run the hardware check on them yet.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
1492 wrote:
It's an optional upgrade to WIN11.

Windows 10 Pro/Home will continue to be supported until Oct 14, 2025.

doesnโ€™t sound optional to me.

Did you do look at Microsoft's WIN11 site? They state you can continue to use Windows 10 and "You do not have to upgrade to Windows 11. We will continue to support Windows 10 until October 14, 2025."

They also state "The free upgrade offer does not have a specific end date for eligible systems. However, Microsoft reserves the right to eventually end support for the free offer. This end date will be no sooner than one year from general availability."

Same model used by Apple? When a new MacOS version comes available for eligible hardware systems, they don't force you to upgrade.

sure they do... when support ends.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rk911 wrote:
1492 wrote:

Did you do look at Microsoft's WIN11 site? They state you can continue to use Windows 10 and "You do not have to upgrade to Windows 11. We will continue to support Windows 10 until October 14, 2025."

They also state "The free upgrade offer does not have a specific end date for eligible systems. However, Microsoft reserves the right to eventually end support for the free offer. This end date will be no sooner than one year from general availability."

Same model used by Apple? When a new MacOS version comes available for eligible hardware systems, they don't force you to upgrade.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:

Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:

wasnโ€™t win10 originally billed as the final windows version that would be constantly upgraded??
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
{Big long sighhhhhhhh) So my windows 10 computer will now be obsolete due to insufficient memory and I will be forced to buy a new machine that can handle 11, and do exactly the same stuff I am doing now which is the web, Word, Excel, and photos. All of which work fine for me, but I will ultimately have no choice and will be forced to move up. (Another big long sighhhhhhhhhhhh)

It never ends. I have some XP computers running software that I am not paying thousands to update needlessly. As long as this nonsense is pushed by greed, it won't end.

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
{Big long sighhhhhhhh) So my windows 10 computer will now be obsolete due to insufficient memory and I will be forced to buy a new machine that can handle 11, and do exactly the same stuff I am doing now which is the web, Word, Excel, and photos. All of which work fine for me, but I will ultimately have no choice and will be forced to move up. (Another big long sighhhhhhhhhhhh)
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog