cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 8.1 can't find my camera.

Suds12
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new computer. Windows with 8.1. Have Photoshop Elements 12. Can't get my Canon EOS 20D to upload pictures. Any Ideas? Hopeing it's some easy fix.
19 REPLIES 19

Suds12
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I got a card reader. Works great. Thanks for all the help and info.

MrWizard wrote:
what procedure are you using ?

are you plugging in and Expecting win 8 , to automatically open a program ?

With my Canon cameras, if I load the drivers and image software that came bundled with the camera, (Zoombrowser) the camera will invoke a menu when it is plugged into the computer.
My G2, G9 and G11 Powershot did that quite well so it was convenient to download pictures. However, it doesn't work with my G1X

And I am talking XP and Win7, not Win 8.
Haven't tried it with my new Win8 Laptop I just bought.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

MrWizard
what procedure are you using ?

are you plugging in and Expecting win 8 , to automatically open a program ?

when i plug in my Samsung camera
i goto "computer" and my camera shows up as a usb media drive
i click on it and treat it as any other usb drive
this is how the Win 8 PC see's it

yours should do the same thing
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:

Sorry, I can't help with Win 8.1.. I will reject that OS for as long as I can!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch

Wise move.

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have 8.1 on my desktop and it didn't recognize my Samsung Galaxy cell phone when I wanted to download the pictures. What I did was use the File Explorer, or what use to be called Windows Explorer. However, once I did that 8.1 now finds my cell phone when connecting.

When I connected my Nikon D60, Windows 8.1 recognizes it in the File Explorer and is identified as a camera with D60 shown. When I click on the camera, I get a "removable storage" icon, just like a memory card. Since there was nothing on the card, I didn't persue this test any further. In the past, I have taken the card out of the camera and copied it. That choice has always worked just fine.

What I'm getting at is Windows 8.1 seems to be working just fine now. I updated to 8.1 from 8.0 about a month ago. My first attempt a year or two ago was a disaster. Apparently, Microsoft has fixed most of the problems with 8.1.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

I have the same isue with some of my cameras on some computers.

So I just bought a card reader. You can get them with slots to read a bunch of different types of cards.

Works like a charm.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Suds12 wrote:
Thank you all. For $20.00 I'd rather by a card reader, if I know it will work. All other ideas welcome. I will let you know how I make out.
Happy Camping.

Good choice. You'll find this much faster than copying them from the camera.

eubank wrote:
You know, I used to use the camera's USB cable to copy pics across, but found that just popping out the SD card and sticking it directly into the computer was actually faster. Of course, your computer has to have one of the SD reader slots, but they're pretty common nowadays, so check it to make sure. It's just a tiny little slot, easy to overlook.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

The Canon 20D is an older dSLR and uses CF cards.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

powderman426 wrote:

Yes most computers have card slots built in. Check that out before spending money on one.

But not for Compact Flash(CF) anymore.

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
eubank wrote:
You know, I used to use the camera's USB cable to copy pics across, but found that just popping out the SD card and sticking it directly into the computer was actually faster. Of course, your computer has to have one of the SD reader slots, but they're pretty common nowadays, so check it to make sure. It's just a tiny little slot, easy to overlook.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Yes most computers have card slots built in. Check that out before spending money on one.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

eubank
Explorer
Explorer

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Suds12
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. For $20.00 I'd rather by a card reader, if I know it will work. All other ideas welcome. I will let you know how I make out.
Happy Camping.

Suds12
Explorer
Explorer
Tried both. No luck yet. The canon site says I don't need a driver.
Do you think something like this would work. Sorry I don't know how to make a clicky yet.Thanks for the help.

http://www.amazon.com/PixelFlash-No-Bend-Compact-SuperSpeed-Adapter/dp/B005IMFX2K/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1398448722&sr=1-3&keywords=compact+flash+card+reader

It appears driver support for your Canon ended with Vista. If WIN 8.1 does not recognize your camera with USB cable attached, then you can try installing the Canon 20D Vista driver and see if that works.

Or buy a USB 3/2 external card reader such as this Transcend Multi-Card Reader for CF cards, and connect to your computer via included USB cable.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
You need the driver from Canon.

You can download it here.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)