cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard antenna crank

Kurbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new handle to raise the antenna. Worked fine when I put it on, two weeks in storage and the handle cracked like the previous one. Is there a metal handle alternative? I dont mind buying these things but they sure dont seem to hold up.
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Winegard does not have a metal one that I know of but a crank is a crank.. I'm not looking at the shaft interconnect just now but best I recall there is nothing special about it, Just a hex or D-Shaped shaft (Forget which) and a set screw.. There are many cranks that fit that kind of shaft.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should not be using WD40 or grease of any kind on the Winegard antenna gears. You want to use nothing but a dry silicone spray in the gear area and crank it up and down a few times. Spray some around (under) the base plate as well for smooth rotation.
This should be done every 6 months or so.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If it cracked sitting in storage, it was put on too tight.
If cracked during operation, then you need to lube the worm gear and rocker gear up on top. It takes two people to do a good job unless you take it apart. Have helper raise the antenna. Stop after one or two turns to apply a good quality water resistant lubricant. DO NOT USE WD-40!
If you have the wrench to take the antenna shaft out do it that way. Take nut loose and pull worm gear shaft out and lubricate it good.
Go to page 5 for directions on lubricating.
Winegard manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Maybe the handle you just purchased sat in stock for the last ten to twenty years before being sold. :B
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Kurbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02

I did lube it all up. The original handle had cracks in it but the unit had been sitting for quite some time. I wasn't able to turn the antenna but could raise it if I was careful. Lubed the gears all up and then was able to rotate without issues. Raised the antenna a few times to work the lube in and the handle finally crumbled. So I bought a new one. Raised and rotated ok. Last weekend went to raise it after it sat in storage a couple weeks and the handle cracked apart again. Seems like a metal option would be available.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The handle is the only thing that I haven't broken so far.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe lubing the antenna gear will help. The crank shouled not be that hard to turn. Get up on top, and try spraying with WD-40 to start with, then a good waterproof grease on the gears should help.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.